Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: CVO deluxe runs hot  (Read 12452 times)

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

CVO deluxe runs hot
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

I have a 2014 CVO deluxe that runs crazy hot and overheats in mild traffic.  I've had it checked out twice but of course they always come back and say that these bikes run hot.  Does anyone else have this issue?  And would replacing the exhaust help at all?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: CVO deluxe runs hot
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »

How are you measuring and defining "crazy hot"?  Is the engine itself overheating, or are you talking about the heat you feel on your leg and the rest of your body?  What are the exact symptoms and the conditions (ambient temperature, vehicle speed, etc.)?  Is the bike completely stock, or has it been tuned?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »

So I went from a 2010 deluxe to the CVO.  Crazy hot meaning I have burns on my thigh.  The bike is stock-  haven't done anything to it.  It has on occasion overheated and completely shut down in traffic.   I have never had issues with heat before and I used to ride in Texas in extreme temperatures.  Love the looks of the new bike but dread riding it.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »

You need a tuner to richen the bike up and probably new exhaust as your bike probably has catyltic converters in the headpipes or muffler inlets.

Don't get a Harley tuner.  Get a TTS or other brand but you need to find a tuner in your area or buy from Fullsac or Fuelmoto who will sell you a tuner and a inhouse map for your bike.

Some dealers will not install parts not sold by them.  Can you do the work?  Or have someone who can?

Hopefully, someone will chime in who has a CVO Deluxe and tell you what they did.  The 110's run hotter because of the cubic inches but can be made enjoyable.

Welcome to the site.

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »

Thanks for the response.  I will definitely look into that.  I wouldn't have Harley do it.... I can't do it myself either.  I am fairly new to the area so I will have to try and find someone that can do it.  I know part of it is because I'm short-5'1" (I'm a woman in case you haven't guessed) and am so close to the heat.  I just don't want to throw a lot of money at it unless it's going to make a difference.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

I doubt there's any rider reading this thread that hasn't dealt with heat issues on the 110's Ms. Hayley18. The replies already posted will get you on the correct path - tune, change exhaust, remove the cats, add fans, etc. The forum contains a lot of information about what others have done to alleviate heat issues. I would definitely be concerned about a shut down due to heat in traffic - looks like you have some mods coming... I live in the northeast - not even close to Texas and western temps most of the time, and often ride in leather over-pants when touring due to pipe heat.  In any event welcome to the forum!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »

Here is what we did to our bikes:

Heat deflectors.  Several brands available.  I am just using the Kuryakyn heat deflectors simply because they look so much cooler than the HD or other aftermarket options - http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1794/AirMaster-Reflective-Smoke-Saddle-Shields
Headpipes (FuelMoto but Fullsac also has them) - eliminates the cat and works with stock chrome tin covers.
Fans - I am using the Wards fans (http://www.wardspartswerks.com/). These help with the engine temps not with the heat felt in your right leg.
Highway pegs - yeah... raise your legs to get more airflow and minimize the heat to your legs

Also look into better riding gear...underlayer or overlayer clothing...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »

Deluxe's do NOT have a catalytic convertor in the head pipe….  The problem is in part because they only run 3.5 quarts of oil and they have no oil cooler. And many dealers only replace up to 3 quarts so you don't get oil blowing out the breather.

Things to do:
Install aftermarket slip ons.
Purchase a "Crotch Cooler".  Capt Itch makes a good one.
Install a oil cooler.  Allows for more oil into system and more cooling…
Tune it!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:57:13 PM by FLH91 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »

Softails like the Deluxe do not have catalytic converters in the head pipes like the Touring models do (the cats are in the mufflers), so changing head pipes isn't going to help.

If the bike is actually shutting down completely, and not just the rear cylinder at idle, then you should contact H-D, not the dealer.  Many dealership people prefer to blow off customers with the "normal" or "they all do that" BS versus actually doing any diagnostic work.  If the engine is actually stalling, it's a safety defect and you might want to approach it that way with H-D. 

A good professional tune will help not only the excessive heat but will also make the bike run better and smoother.  Even if you have no plans for any other modifications, a good tune performed by a fulltime professional tuner (not the average Harley shop) will be money well spent IMHO.  Let the members know what town or city you are in and I'm sure they can offer names of reputable tuners in your area.

Since you are shorter of leg than some, it will be harder to get your leg away from the hot exhaust pipe.  You may need to add deflectors to the frame like those on the Touring models to keep the heat off your thigh, or have the pipe wrapped.  Wrapping the pipe has drawbacks, such as a tendency to promote corrosion or "rot" of the pipe under the wrap, but it would still beat the heck out of burning your leg on a regular basis. 

Welcome to the site, and don't hesitate to ask questions.  There is a lot of knowledge and experience around here, and folks are more than willing to help out.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »

Softails like the Deluxe do not have catalytic converters in the head pipes like the Touring models do (the cats are in the mufflers), so changing head pipes isn't going to help...

Jerry

Ahhh, learned something new...yes, I was answering as if it was a Touring bike... Sorry.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »

I gutted my stock mufflers, installed baffles from fullsac, had a Harley shop tune the bike.  Have almost 8,000 miles on the bike.  On warmer days the back cylinder will shut down, only when the bike is dead stopped and the engine at an idle.  No oil cooler for me, yet.
Regardless of stock or tuned up, as Jerry stated, if your bike is shutting down running down the road, that is a safety issue, likely a defect that Harley needs to correct.  Just my thought 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

I also have this problem. I have Vance and Hines pipes with a Screamin Eagle race tuner. Not sure if its better or worse then stock because i purchased the bike and did the upgrade at the same time. Also I purchased my bike two months ago and the coolest weather I've taken the bike for a spin is 90 degrees. My previous bike was an 08 Deluxe with the 96CI motor which ran cooler but still hot.

These are the symptons i have.
-When bike is moving I feel fine but my right thigh a little warm, even at high speeds (70+mph) its almost unbearable for the passenger that i feel my wife moving around to get away from the heat for a second
-The moment the bike goes to a stop EITMS kicks on almost instantly and my leg is cooking.

Action Plan
-I plan to get some custom heat shields from "RJ's Originals". I had the Kuraykan and they were OK but nothing to be crazy about.
site: http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/

-Wards fan
site: http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

-Oil Cooler

I've only got a few hundred miles on the bike and this weather doesnt help either. I plan to purchase one item at a time until I'm happy

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »

I put V&H true duels and SE tuner on mine. It lowers the pipes away from your legs. 1 pipe each side.I also had it tuned on dyno and it runs cooler and picked up 9 more pounds of low end.
                             Older guy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:19:21 PM by Older Guy »

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »

The heat issue on our bike is the oil bag heat, not the pipes...

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »

Never had a problem with that,but I never checked it.
          older Guy

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »

Agreed.  Not the pipes as much

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »

I forgot about that until just recently when I was looking at a photo of a Softail with a chrome oil tank.  I can definitely see where someone with short to medium length legs would have a problem.  Is there any Harley or aftermarket solution?

Jerry

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »

I have had two Deluxe an 05 and now this one. My wife is 4ft 8 and short legged we have never had a problem with the heat and oil tank. My 2011 streetglide put out more heat then this one. Is everyone having this problem?
          Older Guy

kdfcogwheel

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »

I kind of agree. Wife and I went out for a several hour ride with outside air temps in the mid-70's. Traveling mainly back roads at speeds between 35 and 55mph, she complained of heat on the right side coming from the oil tank area. I had previously installed the mid frame air deflectors to try and help as on my Limited. Also, to consider - her height is only 5' 4" and fairly short legged. Hence, why we went with the Deluxe.

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »

I bought this bike because of the low seat height.  I'm sure a lot of people did.  Bad design issue?

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »

You may need a Capt Itch Crotch Cooler…  Solved our problem.  My wife is 5' 2" and it worked for her.  Covered up the oil fill spout and top portion of the bag.
FLH91

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

Just ordered my heat deflectors from RJ's to match my brown seat, hopefully i should receive next week and can test them out.

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »

I already installed the deflectors and they look nice and we did a 700 mile of riding and felt a huge improvement.

I just took my bike in for the 1k service and they advised me that it was never tuned and that's why it's probably running hot. The service advisor called me back and advised me the tuning added 10hp and 6lbs of torque, and should run cooler now because it was running to lean. Excited to pick up the bike and try her out.
(Posted heat shields as new topic)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:31:32 PM by dirtyike »

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »

Howdy, Harley18, and welcome. 

I'm in SoCal, and had heat issues on my CVOs also.  The best thing I've ever done was to install a Jagg fan assisted oil cooler.  It keeps the oil temps much cooler than the crappy stock cooler.  Unfortunately, on a Softail, the oil cooler will have to be mounted on the frame down tube, where it will be an eyesore.  At least on the Touring models, the Jagg coolers can be mounted low, where the old coolers were.

As people have mentioned already:

Jagg fan assisted oil cooler... You could even put on two, one on each side.  I would do this first, since there is no stock oil cooler on Softails.

New mufflers (I believe the catalytic conv is in the mufflers on Softails)

Good tuner

Wards Parts Werks fans (only if the first three things don't solve the problem.  These fans keep the cylinder head temps cooler in stopped or slow traffic, but don't help much if you're moving well.  Plus, they increase rider discomfort in stop-and-go traffic by increasing the amount of hot air coming up off the engine.)

Hayley18

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »

update:  havent made any modifications to bike but spoke to HD directly (corporate).  they said any modifications to bike will affect the warrenty.  Truly frustrated.

dmark1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »

I already installed the deflectors and they look nice and we did a 700 mile of riding and felt a huge improvement.

I just took my bike in for the 1k service and they advised me that it was never tuned and that's why it's probably running hot. The service advisor called me back and advised me the tuning added 10hp and 6lbs of torque, and should run cooler now because it was running to lean. Excited to pick up the bike and try her out.
(Posted heat shields as new topic)

Resurrecting thread but want to ask the poster here if he feels that the deflectors made a huge improvement after several months of usage.  I have a new CVO bike and the heat is pretty bad sitting at stoplights.  Was going to combine the deflectors with a Wards fan, should that get rid of the horrible heat problem at stoplights? I bought the bike right off the showroom floor do I need to get it tuned as well? :(

Thanks

Mark

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

Heat is not going to go away completely... shields help... fans help the engine but redirect more hot air to your right leg...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »

Hello, yes the deflectors did the job. I don't feel the heat on my leg bothers me anymore but the bike practically shuts down the rear cylinder at all red lights. Keep in mind i live in Florida and a few weeks ago i was riding in 95 degree weather stuck in traffic.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »

Move to the north of UK !
It's 1st June now and 4.5 degrees and howling gales and lashing rain!
You'll be glad of some warmth!
Sorry but couldn't resist as I sit here in my kitchen waiting for summer to start so I can ride my deluxe and not the old GS I also have.

MplPaul

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:47 AM »

:(
yep, the weather here in the Midlands is like a mild winter with gales...
SO looking forward to the summer, this time last year was out most days.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 24 queries.