Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Schaeffer oil  (Read 17180 times)

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

Re: Schaeffer oil
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »

Moving on this thread has been taken over by those who just seem to want to joke around. See yea.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »

I think Peanut oil is the best you can get, if only they made it in a synthetic. When you drain it out of your bike you can fry with it.
Mike
 :drink:

Thanks.  Never thought of draining it, usually fry while riding.

:drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 05:45:17 PM »

Moving on this thread has been taken over by those who just seem to want to joke around. See yea.

The unanswered question that preceded the silly still stands.  What MoCo "authorization" or factory OE recognition is there?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »

I think the silliness and joking around in this thread started right about here....

"I talked to a Schaeffer rep over the weekend. He said that Schaeffer oil is now approved by Harley."

Just saying....   :)

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »

for those of us that have been around the block a few times, discussions on oil brands sounds like BLAH, BLAH , BLAH.

Sorry, but this topic never comes with a definitive answer and has been done millions of times.

As for "approved" no Harley doesn't approve or endorse products unless they sell them or are paid a royalty.
The best you can do is making sure that you use a product that meets or exceeds their specifications SAE / API ratings.

They cannot deny a warranty claim for not using their oil if you show the oil you did use meets or exceeds OEM specs on both SAE and API scales.

I think the factory would use the best oil it could find given a cost/benefit analysis.

That is not the same as using the best oil it could find.

Why use another oil (even if it is more expensive) if there ended up being no tangible benefit?

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »

Here is some info on the back side of the quart of Schaffer oil.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:26:08 AM by NWbiker »
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 02:12:19 AM »

Thanks I wanted to go back and edit it but didn't see how to at first.  :)
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 02:24:35 AM »

Thanks again, got it right this time.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »

Here is some info on the back side of the quart of Schaffer oil.

That in no way reads as Harley endorsing the product.  Though it's obvious that's the intent they're hoping to portray all that says is the oil happens to meet to same ASTM oil specifications that Harley as a manufacturer requires for its products. 

This would be no different than if the old Internic had a "standard" for posting online that all users should use Calculators to double check any math they might do as a user, must do so Universally every time they did so, that they also had to learn site Navigation to be certified as a site member and also had to type in ansi Text.  So to be safe and efficient net user you had to be proficient with calculators, use them universally, be familiar with site navigation and ANSI text.

Assume then that Neal had a specification for membership here that all members should use this standard.  The text on that bottle label would be no different than my then putting as the signature line at the end of every one of my posts that "This bottle of posts meets the Neal approved C-U-N-T specification as defined by Internic for posting."  Neal (the Harley analogue in this example) isn't saying I (the oil manufacturer in this analogue) am C-U-N-T certified, capable, nor in any other way C-U-N-T (or Harley/Neal) endorsed.  It's only me, with no third party acceptance, saying that I happen to be adhering to the same set of standards that Neal, also, happens to say is correct for his product.

So while Shaeffer might indeed have to pay HD for what's done there they're not paying for an endorsement by HD (since there is no endorsement there).  The more likely option is they're paying for the privilege of putting the HD logo on the bottle just like every other t-shirt vendor, coozy seller and other third party hawker gets sued by Harley to do if they use the Harley logo on a commercial product.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »

Does this mean I am supposed to be furious  angry  upset  verklempft  mad discombobulated with Big Oil here too?   :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »

Does this mean I am supposed to be furious  angry  upset  verklempft  mad discombobulated with Big Oil here too?   :nixweiss:

Nope.  Shaeffer isn't that big, just a regional outfit.  I don't think they qualify as "Big Oil", probably more like "Little Oil".  Still pretty slippery though.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »

Nope.  Shaeffer isn't that big, just a regional outfit.  I don't think they qualify as "Big Oil", probably more like "Little Oil".  Still pretty slippery though.

Jerry ;D

:vrolijk_6:

Agreed.  An oily oil no doubt. 

Long time back when scooting in/out from under cars was not accompanied by my creaks & groans, remember the garage owner telling me that STP oil treatment was just glorified 90 weight.  We tore down engines with all sorts of "additives" that were less than wonderful.  Hence, they were torn down engines.  My opinion through the years has been more skeptical than not.  I semi-blame Andy Granatelli.   ;D

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

Cool t-shirt

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »

:vrolijk_6:

Agreed.  An oily oil no doubt. 

Long time back when scooting in/out from under cars was not accompanied by my creaks & groans, remember the garage owner telling me that STP oil treatment was just glorified 90 weight.  We tore down engines with all sorts of "additives" that were less than wonderful.  Hence, they were torn down engines.  My opinion through the years has been more skeptical than not.  I semi-blame Andy Granatelli.    ;D

The Andretti Curse :) 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »

Due to agreements from past job and my departure from that job... We made STP and it was not a STP refinery and the only thing we had to do with STP was they bought our product and then thinned it and sold it as STP. We sold it to them at a viscoty of 90,000W. Yes 90,000 W. It had to be either drummed @ 230 deg or shipped in heated rail-car. Then they cut it after purchase with god knows what and sold it in small bottles as STP. It was a superior product, very good stuff but all of us (employees) could not figure out what it did for oil that helped the oil. But we were also glad they bought it, we needed jobs.
Has nothing to do with thread, just FYI.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.