Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Marvel Mystery Oil  (Read 5667 times)

Tibs

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: '15 Limited
Re: Marvel Mystery Oil
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »

From Wikipedia (which take it with a grain of salt).

The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Here is whats funny....It lowers your octane rating.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »

"Marvel Mystery Oil is a product of the Marvel Oil Company, founded by Burt Pierce in 1923.

After World War I, the Marvel Carburetor Company (Marvel-Schebler Carburetors since 1928) produced carburetors for automobiles and aircraft. Some of these encountered problems and as a result Pierce formulated a blend of chemicals and petroleum to clean and maintain clogged jets. It is claimed without evidence to be beneficial for engines by creating a top ring seal producing higher compression, preventing blow-by on power strokes, resulting in more power.[citation needed]

The Marvel Oil Company was purchased by Turtle Wax Inc. in 1999."
Wut the hell was that maneuver

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Marvel Mystery Oil
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »

Born in the fifties and raised by motorheads, MMO has always had a venerated place in the garage. I don't recall anyone using it as an additive, but it was the go-to for 'frozen' fasteners and most famously for pouring into the cylinder(s) of any seized engine. Didn't matter how many years it had sat up, rusty cylinders and stuck pistons were the exclusive domain of MMO, "let that soak for a couple days" and in most cases it worked! I keep a little bottle handy for the occasional rusty tools from the boat box and I will soak ratchets (and nowadays, ratchet box ends) in a cup of it once in a while. The stuff stays in place and stays effective for waaaaay longer than WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:15:02 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »

Used it in my '79 FXS shovelhead when my valves started to stick. Think it was around the time gasoline formulations changed??  The motor got fixed ( some kind of recall?? ), but Marvel Mystery kept me on the road until the job got done. I believe it was called a "top end lubricant" at the time. Lots of guys back in the day swore by the stuff for all sorts of things. First miracle before WD-40. Loved that Shovelhead.            JoeS

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »

Jerry is 100% correct, it is just snake oil and I cannot, once again, believe some of the stuff I read on here. I really believe most of the responses are just made up so the poster can post something.
Not sure why anyone needs a fuel additive that they have no idea as to whether it even tested as and if you need penetrating oil, buy a certified Penetrating fluid that is designed to Penetrate. Don has best advice, use it to clean your hands when really dirty when mixed with another oldtime product that really has no use anymore (unless you have a low emission Kerosene heater).

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »

To agree with others.  Do not add it to your excellent properly formulated oils or put it in your quality gasoline.  It's one this to use a product like that to free frozen parts.  Not recommended to use it in an expensive mechanical piece of equipment.

Jason
2015 CVO Limited

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »

Stoddard solvent = Turpentine

I remember using it when Leaded Gasoline was phased out. We were all worried that the valves weren't designed for Unleaded Fuel and were certainly going to fail early.

At that same time I got a job for a petrochemical company and learned that Leaded Fuel had been identical to Unleaded for quite a few years at that point.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.