Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Week after Sturgis  (Read 6769 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Week after Sturgis
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »

I do not understand why anyone complains about others using a trailer. Never rode my dirt bike to the strip mines on sunday morning, always used a trailer and geared up when we got there. Never drove the race car to the track, always towed the boat to the river, so why is it unacceptable to trailer to a week long rally?
I trailer, proud of it, have a trailer I am also proud of. I also do not, and never will, go a week early or late to miss the crowds. The crowds, bikes, vendors are the rally and the reason we, personally, go. We go every couple years to Sturgis and ride 1200 - 1500 miles while there, Every year to Daytona and occassionaly to other rallyes, but I tow there and back and totally enjoy the complete experience. We have friends who say they will only go when they can ride, and have never been to Sturgis, Myrtle Beach etc.. But are proud that they only ride!
So IMHO we all, hopefully, do what we want, when we want and how we want. I know I do.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »

I don't have a trailer or MH to put the bike in so I only know what it is like to ride where we go and it has been great. I have been to Sturgis a few times. Our next will be off season, cause it is no fun in a pack of thousands and not be able to pull off to the side for a picture or what ever.
The trailer thing is up to who ever you are and how you want to get there. But I do feel a bit negative with those that exit the hiway just out side of town and unload a bike to say they road to Sturgis on the old hard tail.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »

My wife and I are riders, so I prefer to ride. We have trailered due to a new baby and hauled an extra bike so my buddy could ride too. What that taught me, is that getting there, was less tiring, and Mother Nature didn't slow us down in any way.
We still prefer to ride, but i can see the value in using a trailer for certain situations, especially if it's just a bunch of meaning less miles to get to where your going in a hurry.
Supershooter

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »

I do not understand why anyone complains about others using a trailer. Never rode my dirt bike to the strip mines on sunday morning, always used a trailer and geared up when we got there. Never drove the race car to the track, always towed the boat to the river, so why is it unacceptable to trailer to a week long rally?
I trailer, proud of it, have a trailer I am also proud of. I also do not, and never will, go a week early or late to miss the crowds. The crowds, bikes, vendors are the rally and the reason we, personally, go. We go every couple years to Sturgis and ride 1200 - 1500 miles while there, Every year to Daytona and occassionaly to other rallyes, but I tow there and back and totally enjoy the complete experience. We have friends who say they will only go when they can ride, and have never been to Sturgis, Myrtle Beach etc.. But are proud that they only ride!
So IMHO we all, hopefully, do what we want, when we want and how we want. I know I do.

OK I started this discussion mostly to stir things up a little for laughs but there is little bit of truth to what I said about trailering. Again: I am in no way saying those who can't ride for 1000's of miles should not trailer. My point is directed towards able-bodied riders who choose comfort. And no matter what, please do not give up on me as a potential future friend if you meet me in person. Despite what I might say below, some of my best buddies trailer (IMHO for all the right reasons). Just ask Jimmy 2K! He will vouch for the fact that I'm not really a judgmental A-hole most of the time.

So here it goes: (deep breath)

Why does your analogy not work?

You can not drive a boat to and from the marina! And by law you are not supposed to ride a dirt bike or drive a race car on public roads. Our bikes are designed and licensed specifically for public roads. So it's not the laws of physics or the land that causes us to trailer our road-going bikes. It's our desire for comfort, or in some cases, our health, age, etc. A better analogy would be if you are trailering an antique car to a car show or vintage racing. By all means, if you have an antique bike, trailer it. I most certainly understand the need to trailer for two reasons: 1-it's an antique and as such it may not make it otherwise. 2-There aren't 100's of thousands of antiques that would be trailered to a rally, causing endless train of slow moving shipping containers on any and all roads around the rally site. So in this case it's not the rider that has or might have health issues but the ride.

Why is it my business?

Too many are opting to do so. Clogging up the highways, restaurant parking lots, gas stations. We saw 'riders' trailering their rides on Iron Mountain, Needles Highway (trying to thread the needle, so to speak, by driving his trailer through the tunnel at the speed of 1 mile per day!), Mount Rushmore, and Beartooth Pass! One was hauling his ride and his golf cart so that, you know, for those short distances he could just use the cart. When our choice threatens the enjoyment of the very thing we are gathering for, in this case riding a motorcycle, then we open ourselves to criticism. Now last year I spent a few evenings having beers with a gentleman who had his bike shipped to Sturgis and flew his own jet to and from! He had a CVO so I encouraged him to join us on this site and for all I know he might be a member. I HAVE NO PROBLEM/IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS how he chooses to get to Sturgis because his method in no way impacts what I'm going there for. Same with another friend who, because of back problems, travels by train to Daytona. He rides his bike to the train station in VA, they load up his bike here and unload it there. Again, his method does not impact me when I hit the roads because, knock on wood, I am still able to ride for hours and hours, with a smile on my face.

Why do I ride when I can take the train or ship/fly?

I love the road as much as, if not more than, the rally itself. The best way to describe how I feel about being on the road with a few, or in the case of the ride to Sturgis this year just one, KIRO, is to listen to Willie Nelson's On the Road Again.

Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again

And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world keep turning our way

And IMO it just wouldn't be the same in a car. Was I beat up and tired physically? Of course. Would I trade the memories for comfort, not as long as I'm able. See, I got into the whole riding thing when I saw Easy Rider oh so many years ago. The idea of being free to take any path, stop anywhere, and meet all kinds of folks in small towns that you may never travel through again is the real reason I ride. Which brings me to the remake of this iconic movie I just heard about. They have made a few adjustments to the storyline for it to better match the current trends in the rider scene so we all can relate to the story better. Here's the poster. I think it will be able to inspire a new generation of future riders to take up the activity we are all so passionate about just like the original inspired so many of us.

Ride safe.

Apologies again if I hurt any feelings. Not my intention at all and if I pissed anybody off, I owe you a beer or two if and when we meet. The pic below is me on my CVO BO, which I rode to and from Sturgis, on Main Street. So now you know who to hate on! Photo by one of my BRBF (best riding buddies forever) Kiro!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:54:35 AM by cambo »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:15 AM »

Cam, you didn't start the conversation. The term is hijacked. In this case, you took the biT€= out back and beat the chit out of her, not a mere hijack.  :coolblue:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »

Cam, you didn't start the conversation. The term is hijacked. In this case, you took the biT€= out back and beat the chit out of her, not a mere hijack.  :coolblue:

I did hijack your thread Simon! But I started the whole trailer chitstorm so I figured I'd contribute to the aforementioned storm.  :-[

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »

A new trend I guess. Going to a rally the week before or the week after. The rider scene is changing. Not saying it's good or bad just different. Trailer the bike to a rally the week before or after and trailer back. Kinda like eating jalapeños that are not hot, ice cream without actual creme, decaf coffee, alcohol-free beer, suger-free cookies, I can't believe it's not butter... OK I guess it fits the overall current trend when it comes to everything. :nixweiss:

I'm not sure how long you have been riding BUT I have owned a Harley since 1975 and have been to Sturgis many times. While I can say I have NEVER trailered to Sturgis I know a lot of people that do. Hey it is what it is. Now as far as I am concerned I went the week before the Rally this year simply because I was on my way home from a Motorcycle trip to Alaska and I just happened to be going near there the week before. Soooooooo I decided to stop for a few days and visit some friends. I actually stayed in a Motel in Sturgis this year. Yes that was a first for me as I usually camp. I was on the road for 27 days and was actually ready to sleep in my own bed for a change.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »

We rode and only had problems with people pulling trailers on the road. Everyone else moves over. Trucks and cars and other bikers. But only people who couldn't find the right lane were trailers full of bikes. When we did get one bike around we slowed them even more, till the whole group of 12 got by in the right lane. Then sped off so they could enjoy the left lane again with nobody in front of them.
Will

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »

We rode and only had problems with people pulling trailers on the road. Everyone else moves over. Trucks and cars and other bikers. But only people who couldn't find the right lane were trailers full of bikes. When we did get one bike around we slowed them even more, till the whole group of 12 got by in the right lane. Then sped off so they could enjoy the left lane again with nobody in front of them.
Our experience as well. Probably because most folks who trailer are really not trained/comfortable driving a semi, which is essentially what they are driving. Most of them did not have any extenders on their side mirrors either which mean they couldn't possibly see what was happening behind them. I know this because I would pull to the outside of the trailer and could not see their mirrors which means they could not see me. So why not just stay in the left lane and cut your chances of running over a biker or two?  :nixweiss:

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »

Or stay in the right?
Will

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »

Jeez..........my eyes are hurting!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

Cambo,

I sure agree with your long post about trailering, I feel the same.

Some day I may trailer, but not while I can still ride.  I enjoy the ride as much as the rally.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 03:48:20 AM »

It's not even a week after Sturgis Bike Rally 2016 and you can get a nice hotel room at the Hampton Inn in Deadwood for $113/night with your AARP card. Life is grand.

DH

Still not as cheap as my aunt's pad in Keystone. Free, anytime of the year, rally or no rally!!!  ;)    :jalapeno:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:43 AM »

Still not as cheap as my aunt's pad in Keystone. Free, anytime of the year, rally or no rally!!!  ;)    :jalapeno:

77th Sturgis Rally.....Party at Jesse's aunt's house in Keystone....  :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.