Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wet head to oil cooled.  (Read 1281 times)

Reject1970

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Mercury/Smoky Quartz Flames
Wet head to oil cooled.
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:35:34 AM »

Here is an crazy idea. Using the same water cooled set up, but use oil and route it back to the oil pan. Just wanting to know if anyone has thought of this? The radiators and fans would be the oil coolers. Just a though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:54:47 AM by Reject1970 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Wet head to oil cooled.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »

I wouldn't recommend trying it.  First, motor oil isn't as effective at removing heat as a proper coolant mixture.  Second, the system was designed for the viscosity and flow characteristics of a proper water/coolant mixture, not the higher viscosity motor oil you envision using.  Even if you redesigned and replaced all the component parts to work with motor oil, you would still wind up with a less effective cooling system than what came stock.

If you want to add oil cooling to the existing engine, all you have to do is add a real oil cooler similar to what they did with the bikes without water cooled heads.  There are many options on the market, including one that fits under the bike (and whose name I forget) that would eliminate the space problem at the front of the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »

I wouldn't recommend trying it.  First, motor oil isn't as effective at removing heat as a proper coolant mixture.  Second, the system was designed for the viscosity and flow characteristics of a proper water/coolant mixture, not the higher viscosity motor oil you envision using.  Even if you redesigned and replaced all the component parts to work with motor oil, you would still wind up with a less effective cooling system than what came stock.

If you want to add oil cooling to the existing engine, all you have to do is add a real oil cooler similar to what they did with the bikes without water cooled heads.  There are many options on the market, including one that fits under the bike (and whose name I forget) that would eliminate the space problem at the front of the bike.

Jerry

Oil Bud Oil Coolers.  Though at the moment the product/company website ( https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com ) isn't responding.

Reject1970

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Mercury/Smoky Quartz Flames
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.