Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight vs air suspension  (Read 1301 times)

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
Weight vs air suspension
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

A friend of mine and his wife went down yesterday on their Ultra (not cvo)in the NC mountains.  He had forgotten to increase the rear suspension air pressure before they left town. He went around a sharp, but flat curve and his floor board grabbed the payment and his front wheel went airborne. Fortunately they only have scraps and bruises as they weren't going very fast.  I post this as a reminder to all of us that weight is DEFINITELY an issue especially when your tour pak is full and you have a pack on top of that.  My friend is a very experienced rider and has over 36,000 miles on this Ultra.  Tbone convinced me to run 40psi minimum when riding 2-up, regardless of what the book says.
If you do not have a HD air pump get one.  It's the best $40 I ever spent.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Weight vs air suspension
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

Yep, I know a lot of people disagree with me but I run close to 50 on the SEEG with two up and loaded.  I think it's especially important with the lowered suspension.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:29:07 PM »

Any time you add more weight to any bike it will handle different, Good reminder to also get the folks to read the owners manual regaurding the air suspension as it differs from Year to year and model to model.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »

One of the reasons that I switched to Progressive 440's.  When I add weight, I give the shocks another 1/2 - 1 turn and don't need an air pump.  That, and the bike handles a lot better with them.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:21:41 PM »

A friend of mine and his wife went down yesterday on their Ultra (not cvo)in the NC mountains.  He had forgotten to increase the rear suspension air pressure before they left town. He went around a sharp, but flat curve and his floor board grabbed the payment and his front wheel went airborne. Fortunately they only have scraps and bruises as they weren't going very fast.  I post this as a reminder to all of us that weight is DEFINITELY an issue especially when your tour pak is full and you have a pack on top of that.  My friend is a very experienced rider and has over 36,000 miles on this Ultra.  Tbone convinced me to run 40psi minimum when riding 2-up, regardless of what the book says.
If you do not have a HD air pump get one.  It's the best $40 I ever spent.

Sorry to hear of your friend's accident.... glad it was just minor...

Thanks for the reminder  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »

Yep, I know a lot of people disagree with me but I run close to 50 on the SEEG with two up and loaded.  I think it's especially important with the lowered suspension.

Sorry about your friends and glad they're OK. The SERK book says to run 40-50 psi for MGVW! I run 40 solo and 50 2-up, with those lowered POS shocks. Can't wait to change them! Great advice FW! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 09:33:11 PM »

With the old 00 road king used to run 12psi alone 16-18 2-up and 26-28 2-up and pulling tent trailer. Max on that one said 25 front and 35 back. Now 07 cuse 15 by myself and 18-20 2-up. Haven't put the trailer on yet.
Udate, last trip 2-up packed with large bag on tour pak pumped up to 33lbs rode much better. Just have to keep experimenting until I find all the perfect air amounts for each situation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:07:33 PM by Rooster »

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

Sorry to hear about this mishap.  Coulda been much worse.  I run 30psi in mine when Renea is with me, or if I'm solo and loaded, and 22 when I'm solo and empty.  Works well for me.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.