Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Was It REALLY Worth It?  (Read 1171 times)

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
Was It REALLY Worth It?
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »

So...

After over two years, I finally go back to Boston to clean out the storage facility we've been keeping the stuff we staged the house with prior to selling. I personally figure, if you can live without it for 2 years...exactly.

However...as all married guys know...you gotta do it for her.

The bonus for me, is the fact that a friend gave me a full Original SE Race exhaust for the PORK (Police Officer Road King  :huepfenlol2:). And this exhaust has been sitting in said storage unit. I finally got it all back here, and proceeded to get to work.

I was running Supertrapp slip-ons on the PORK. I kept the stock headpipes so I didn't have to remap. They had a nice rumble but not resonant enough for my taste. I'm one of those guys that believes the bagger should "thunder". So, I deliberately avoided putting V&H exhaust on it. Here in KC, every other touring sled is running Rineharts, and I hate the discoloring of the rear cylinder muffler tail. Getting that temp balanced right is a bitch, and although I kinda like the Rinehart sound, I decided against going that route. Thankfully, my buddy came across this set of SE mufflers. They're the old "competition only...do not meet Fed EPA blah blah" that ya can't get anymore. And for free?...I'm in

Bonus: Shark fins!!!! Whoo hoo!!!

So, the nightmare...Note to anyone doing exhaust; Don't cheap out and re-use exhaust clamps and mounting studs. Spend the $25.

Why?

As I remove the Supertrapps, I snap a stud (of course I did!). Thankfully, the pipe was still loose enough to remove. However, I now have to make the trip to my local aftermarket shop, who don't have the clamps I need/want. So, I'm off to the HD shop here that nobody goes to. Why? Cuz it's a clothing store, with a couple of bikes in it. You know the type.

I snag the two clamps. ($18.00) and head home to put the pipes on.

EXCEPT....When I get home, I come to find that the mounting studs aren't catching on the SE mufflers. Why?

Because SE Race mufflers apparently don't come with that pre-welded nut, built into the mounting bracket on the pipe.

So, it's after 6 now, and all the shops are closed. So what do I do? Head to Home Depot and grab 4 5/16" coarse threaded nuts. Problem solved!!!

...nope.

See...getting the wrench into that mounting bracket area is almost impossible. The open-end doesn't fit, and the box-end won't hold the nut high enough for the tiny 5/16" mounting nuts to grab threads...and even when they do...then you can't get the box wrench out because the studs drop down too far and trap the wrench.

So, I tried getting longer studs...by heading back to Home Depot. Do I even need to tell you that they don't carry 5/16" coarse threaded studs in less than 1" length? Yeah, I thought they'd work too. They didn't.

So, now I'm sorta screwed. (unintentional pun..I'm letting it go) My solution to this quandry is nothing short of brilliant...to me.

I go to the tool box, and grab those cotton cleaning squares. Fold it a few times and use it to jam under the nut, slide it into the mounting housing until you can see it, and slowly thread the original studs down until they catch. Then, I grab some needle-nose pliers, and hold the nut and tighten the studs as much as possible. Seeing as this assembly is pinching a rubber bushing, I figure as long as they're on "tight-enough" we're good. After it's seated, I use the needles to dig out the cleaning square and repeat for all four studs. Pipes are on.

However...as I'm walking around the bike...Did I mention the shark fins? Yeah...I forgot about them too. Until one ripped across the outer right part of my calf. Opened me a little. Not bad.

Took the sled out today...The thunder is definately there. I suppose I could remove the baffles, but I will sit on them, cook 'em a bit and see if/how much louder they pump.  They certainly thump a hell of a lot more than the Supertrapps.

And for free?...

Probably worth the education of how to get the mounting nuts done right, and the sliced leg :)

They oughtta put warnings on those shark fins.  ???

Now the question...do I go full on with the true duals?..hmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:00:44 AM by neanderpaul »
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

Re: Was It REALLY Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, so much of that story is SO familiar.  Just change the details and I bet most of us had had similar experiences.  And have similar scars.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »

Yea, I hate to admit it, but I changed mufflers on my HD/s 1 or 2 or 20 times. Had just  about everything in murphys law come into play. I have had pretty good luck with a little bit of grease on the end of a flat tip screw driver to hold the nut until it starts, then it will hold itself.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »

gald it all worked out but ou know.......

:worthless:

what do you call PORK shark Fins anyway?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:46:42 AM »

gald it all worked out but ou know.......

:worthless:

what do you call PORK shark Fins anyway?

Saw that coming too...

Will get 'em ASAP
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

screaminchickensrule

• Senior CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN CHICKENS RULE

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC ORANGE & BLACK
    • CVO2: 2006 SEUC BLACK & GREY
    • PREMIER AUTO AND CYCLE SALES
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »

I would suggest going with the true duals... But sounds like you need to let a mechanic put them on or you could loose a limb.  LOL
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.