Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Incredable motorcycle roads in Nor Cal.......  (Read 13948 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Incredable motorcycle roads in Nor Cal.......
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »

Yea, but it looks to me like I'm going to have to make another trip to Florida before you two are going to make it out here. :nixweiss:

I just got plane tickets from Sacramento to Miami for $150 each! :2vrolijk_21:  No refund and coach and one stop.....but at that price, it was something we could afford. :nixweiss:

Come on out Mike.......you could ride Jim's bike......he never rides it. :huepfenlol2:

We'll be out in June for the socal gtg...cant wait... :orange:

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

Chuck (CAP) found a road last weekend.....Mosquito Ridge Rd. out of Forest Hill, Ca.  It has over 600 curves, twists and switchbacks in 36 miles.  He rode up as far as he could before the snow had the road closed.  I'll be doing that one in another month or so. :2vrolijk_21:

Where's Forest Hill, Ca? I Googled it and came up with some place near Daly City... ain't no snow there.

I've ridden some of the roads in this thread. Hwy 36 is a classic, probably one of the best, if not the best, motorcycle roads in the country. Got some great roads listed here. Here's a couple more in N. Cali. to consider. Hwy 128 from Cloverdale to the coast, Scaggs Springs Road near Santa Rosa out to the coast, Hwy 20 -- Willits to Ft. Bragg or vice versa (actually, you can pretty much expect awesomeness from any rural road that goes over the coastal range from 101 to the coast in Northern Cali).

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »

Go east out of Sacramento on I-80 east, up the hill.  When you get to the town of Auburn (28 miles) turn south east on Forest Hill Rd, go across Forest Hill Bridge (  highest bridge in Calf. and third highest in the nation......  http://www.placercountyhistoricalsociety.org/Histories/Bridge.htm   ) and a few more miles up the hill is Foresthill.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »

We'll be out in June for the socal gtg...cant wait... :orange:

I hope you're going to be able to spend some time up here in Nor Cal.  I'm not going to be able to go to the So Cal GTG......due to the new job and lack of vacation time. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

Nope, the one week out there is it...due to...lack of vacation....this working thing blows chunks.   >:(
Make sure to let me know when you guys are going to be here.  ;)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

Where do they go to and from?  Do you have a photo or link you can post for either?

Hwy 9 goes from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_9

The stretch of Hwy 152 that I like goes from Gilroy to Watsonville: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_152

An additional benefit of the 152 ride is when you get to Watsonville, you can stop at Gizdich Ranch for some of the best pie you will ever have: http://www.gizdich-ranch.com/index.php
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »

I grew up riding on the Left coast .  Mosquito Ridge road is great , like many in "Gold Country" , Hwy 49 among them.

Hwy 84 from the Bay to Coast 1 is another , at the summit you hit "4 corners " where Alices Restraunt is a long favorite stop, and Skyline which runs from Hwy 92 on the north down to Santa Cruz .. a phenomenal road .  Off that there's Tunitas Creek Rd, and Upper Page Mill ..both quite entertaining.

Carmel Valley Canyon Road is wonderful , just mind the "cattle grates" they can get a bit slippery .

http://www.pashnit.com/  has loads of others...
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »

Hwy 9 goes from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_9

The stretch of Hwy 152 that I like goes from Gilroy to Watsonville: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_152

An additional benefit of the 152 ride is when you get to Watsonville, you can stop at Gizdich Ranch for some of the best pie you will ever have: http://www.gizdich-ranch.com/index.php

Have you ridden Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (http://tinyurl.com/yj6ykaq)? I haven't had the pleasure yet but it's on my short list. In fact, I may just head south this weekend for a look see.

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »

Ah ha... Foresthill... your other post said Forest Hill. Clear as mud now. Thanks.

Go east out of Sacramento on I-80 east, up the hill.  When you get to the town of Auburn (28 miles) turn south east on Forest Hill Rd, go across Forest Hill Bridge (  highest bridge in Calf. and third highest in the nation......  http://www.placercountyhistoricalsociety.org/Histories/Bridge.htm   ) and a few more miles up the hill is Foresthill.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 01:32:51 AM »

Have you ridden Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (http://tinyurl.com/yj6ykaq)? I haven't had the pleasure yet but it's on my short list. In fact, I may just head south this weekend for a look see.

That's the road that goes through Ft Hunter-Liggett, correct?  Great road if it's the one that I am thinking of...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 05:07:09 AM »

That's the road that goes through Ft Hunter-Liggett, correct?  Great road if it's the one that I am thinking of...

Yes, that's the rode we all took on the San Juan Bautista GTG a few months ago. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »

Ah ha... Foresthill... your other post said Forest Hill. Clear as mud now. Thanks.

My brother used to live on that road .. it's real close to Mosquito Ridge .. great riding in the area , just watch out for logging trucks!
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »

OK really sounds like a GREAT area to ride! Maybe just saying maybe this area would be a GREAT choice for a GTG. Should put it on the list for next years West CVO GTG.  :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »

OK really sounds like a GREAT area to ride! Maybe just saying maybe this area would be a GREAT choice for a GTG. Should put it on the list for next years West CVO GTG.  :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

The Nor Cal crew rides these roads often.  Here's a link to what most who attended have said that it was the best GTG they've been on......five days on the road, staying at a different location each night (most of the photos are posted after page 3)...........  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27606.0

The challenge (as I learned in putting that one together) becomes finding hotels and/or restaurants that can accomodate everybody.  Most of the roads that I listed above aren't anywhere close to a city or even a town that has a hotel or motel of any size.  Even if it's just chain hotels (Best Western, Super 8, etc.) they're usually to small.  Then restaurants in these little towns are the same way......one cook and one or two waitresses. :nixweiss:  Logistically, it's just a real challenge.

But great rides for smaller groups of eight to ten bikes and we do that often on the weekends.  The challenge for us that live in Nor Cal is to find roads that we've never ridden before.  Getting "lost" would really make my day! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:24:08 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.