Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Factory Warranty  (Read 7266 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Factory Warranty
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »

and the Laker's could come back from a 2-3 deficit,

Hey now, that's hitting below the belt.  Cut that chit out :bigcry: .

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

A friend of mine had his transmission take a dump under extended warranty.  The extended warranty people looked at the bike (they usually do not) and seeing the hitch cancelled his extended warranty and prorated his refund of the cost of the extended warranty.   Section 6 of the extended warranty, Item 2, states: This contract does not cover and it does not apply to: Any loss or expense if YOUR MOTORCYCLE is used or equiped for towing, delivery..., etc.   and that was what they used to deny him coverage.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »

A friend of mine had his transmission take a dump under extended warranty.  The extended warranty people looked at the bike (they usually do not) and seeing the hitch cancelled his extended warranty and prorated his refund of the cost of the extended warranty.   Section 6 of the extended warranty, Item 2, states: This contract does not cover and it does not apply to: Any loss or expense if YOUR MOTORCYCLE is used or equiped for towing, delivery..., etc.   and that was what they used to deny him coverage.

That's one of the many differences between a factory warranty and a service contract, which is what the Harley ESP actually is.  ESP's aren't covered by Federal warranty law, and they often have many more exclusions than the factory warranty.  I've got no problem with that as long as the exclusions are disclosed up front.  This example is exactly why I recommend folks get a complete copy of the contract prior to purchase and then study it carefully for exactly what it covers and what it excludes. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »

And the sky could fall, and the Laker's could come back from a 2-3 deficit, and I could hit the jackpot on the Powerball.  The answer they gave you could be useful, or not very much.

I think it all goes back to viewing each situation on it's own merits.  If you pull in to your friendly dealership with 1000 pounds of trailer and gear hooked to the back end and complain about brake fade, tire wear, belt stretch, trans noise, etc., don't expect any sympathy or any warranty coverage.  By the same token, if you roll in with a trailer hitch installed and complain about defective gauges or chrome peeling off the wheels or lousy paint on the fuel tank, and they try to give you the "warranty void" BS, you need to invite them to meet you in court.

Anything that isn't exactly as it was when it left the factory can be considered a modification.  Changing the seat to an aftermarket product is a modification, but it doesn't void the warranty on any other part of the bike.  Once again, Federal warranty law places the burden of proof on the warrantor, not on the customer.  If you have a powertrain failure that is obviously due to overloading, and they can prove the failure was due to overloading and not a defect, then sorry charley but you lose.  If they can't prove it wasn't a defect, they lose.  And that's the way it should be.  If you want to avoid having to fight for your rights in court, do yourself a favor and don't flaunt any "modifications" when you go in for warranty work (take the hitch off).  Excuse me if this hurts anyone's feelings, but I don't have much sympathy for people who go to their friendly dealer for warranty coverage on a bike with an aftermarket ECM, non-stock cams and heads, high compression pistons, oversize throttle bodies, etc., and get all pizzed off because they won't cover the blown crankshaft or clutch under warranty.  

Jerry

Pretty much sums it up!
When I lunched my last motor, I knew the factory warranty was already no good, bite the bullet and lay out the $$$
That's why these are "toys" not "necessities" (with a few exceptions).
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

For the people that are not aware of what GRC is quoting it's called the    MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT of 1975
This just states exactly what GRC was saying, it's a crap shoot, the burden of proof does lay on the Manufacturer to prove the modification caused the malfunction. But if you don't want to go there take the modification OFF!!!
And he makes another good point DO NOT go into your local dealer and brag about your modifications, you may be in good standing with them now, but that can change as quick as the weather. It is sad that they can pick and choose what they want but even the changing of a HD stock headlight to there own HID headlight is a modification and if you are having problems with your charging system, well there you go. All this stuff that they sell in the parts dept that is refered to as accessories or performance parts are nothing more than modifications and they give HD an out in warranty claims.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »

For the people that are not aware of what GRC is quoting it's called the    MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT of 1975
This just states exactly what GRC was saying, it's a crap shoot, the burden of proof does lay on the Manufacturer to prove the modification caused the malfunction. But if you don't want to go there take the modification OFF!!!
And he makes another good point DO NOT go into your local dealer and brag about your modifications, you may be in good standing with them now, but that can change as quick as the weather. It is sad that they can pick and choose what they want but even the changing of a HD stock headlight to there own HID headlight is a modification and if you are having problems with your charging system, well there you go. All this stuff that they sell in the parts dept that is refered to as accessories or performance parts are nothing more than modifications and they give HD an out in warranty claims.

T'is too true.  Everything we do is both our enjoyment and improvement of the bikes and an excuse for the lazy, parsimonious-cheap-assed, unfair, unwilling unscrupulous or just plain dumb dealers that are sometimes (ok, too often) out there to avoid a responsibility.

Hearing of warranty claims denied for work done to a bike that are obviously not the cause of the failure is all too common.  It must make sense somehow, somewhere to someone.  But denied service and responsibility doesn't make sense to me.

The dealer makes its money off the customer after all.  It doesn't even lose money on warranty work.  It may not make as much.  But unless it's just stupid and takes far longer to do a repair than it should it's not going in the red.

So either Mother Harley has the fear of Willie scared in to these service departments on the issue of warranty claims handling or they expect to be so poor at their job they can't do them quickly enough to at least break even.  Guess they could be just lazy and wish to avoid any effort they can.  But that makes even less sense....

It's all a waste.  It is a real part of the explanation of why they continue to sell fewer and fewer bikes though.  Young riders used to other nameplates aren't used to and won't accept it (even if they were interested in the "look" of a Harley).  And those of us that do stay with the bikes do so only so long.  At least some of us do get less and less patient as years pass. 

I know two guys that have stopped owning bikes because they didn't really want anything other than an HD but wouldn't suffer the dealership any longer.  Others are like me that keep the bikes but do everything themselves and try to avoid spending money to support the MoCo as much as they can.  It does suck far too often for far too many.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:38 AM »

and the Laker's could come back from a 2-3 deficit

:2vrolijk_02: :angel: :2vrolijk_02:

hogasm

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 06:19:22 AM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »

Quote from: grc on June 14, 2010, 02:43:17 PM

--------------------------------------------------------
and the Laker's could come back from a 2-3 deficit
--------------------------------------------------------

:2vrolijk_02: :angel: :2vrolijk_02:

Sad day in America.  Just what we need, another championship for la-la land.  When's that earthquake coming that they promised would separate CA from the rest of the country?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »

Sad day in America.  Just what we need, another championship for la-la land.  When's that earthquake coming that they promised would separate CA from the rest of the country?

Jerry

The earthquake hit last night.  Epicenter was Boston  ??? !

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

The earthquake hit last night.  Epicenter was Boston  ??? !

As the 'd00d would say,

chit head!

Jerry ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »

As the 'd00d would say,

chit head!

Jerry ;)

:znotworthy:

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »

:jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »

I'm sure he's ^ trying to make a point......  But for the life of me just can't think of what it might be....  :nixweiss:

Oh, and did I mention:

LAKERS WIN
and Celtics LOSE!!

LAKERS WIN in SEVEN!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:53:59 PM by Twolanerider »

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »

Director of our local HOG had a lunched engine in his 07 that tow(ed) a color matched American Legend.  After the first repair, under extended warranty, the dealer said that they would not honor the warranty further unless he sold the trailer.  He sold the trailer and hitch, brought in bill of sale, and had dealer sign it, saying his warranty would be honored (this guys wife is a lawyer).  Apparently, the warranty rep was PISSED about this.   Funny thing is, about 6 months later, the engine lunched again.

The service dept manager told me flat out, if it comes in for warranty work, and it's stock, they don't know anything about the past  ;)

I've bought 2 Ultras, and a SEUC and remained loyal to them when I could have shopped around.  Loyalty brings loyalty (in most cases)

You spend your money, and you takes your chances!
Spada84
NoSofa!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.