Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wards Fans ?  (Read 6130 times)

RayK

Wards Fans ?
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »

For those that have these installed, when the fans are working there must be a lot more heat on your right leg especially in stop and go traffic, it's nice to have a cool running engine but if my right leg is going to cook even more than it does now don't know if its worth it.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Wards Fans ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

I only notice the hot air from the fans when the bike is at a standstill, like at a light or really heavy stop and go traffic. I usually try to avoid the heavy stop and go traffic by just taking the next available turn so that is not much of an issue for me. At a light if I feel the hot air and it bugs me I just move my leg by putting my foot up on the highway peg. Any hot air I feel from the fans is minor when compared to the heat I used to feel from  the stock catalyst headpipe.
When at speed I will occasionally notice some hot air - especially during this latest heat wave we've been having - but not enough to bother me. All in all I personally will put up with what little hot air I feel in order to lower the bike's cylinder head temps.

Personally I think the Wards Fans work great, and it might be psychological but the bike seems to like them also.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

The Wards fans blow air directly onto the center of each cylinder head, where the spark plug is. They don't blow air in between the cylinders, as many other fans do. I don't feel much if any additional heat coming off of the right side of the engine.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »

The Wards fans blow air directly onto the center of each cylinder head, where the spark plug is. They don't blow air in between the cylinders, as many other fans do. I don't feel much if any additional heat coming off of the right side of the engine.

Ken

x2 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »

Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

For those that have these installed, when the fans are working there must be a lot more heat on your right leg especially in stop and go traffic, it's nice to have a cool running engine but if my right leg is going to cook even more than it does now don't know if its worth it.

I'm going to assume that you know the fans don't actually blow air over to your right leg, since they blow straight into the side of each head and not through the gap between the cylinders like the Harley parade fan or similar offerings.  But even if we are all on the same page concerning that, you still have a point for another reason.

The Ward's fans blow directly at the spark plug area of the heads, and on the front head that is in close proximity to the cylinder head temperature sensor that reports engine temp to the ECM.  That would be the same sensor data that is used to determine when to engage the EITMS, which is the system designed to reduce the heat felt by the rider at idle by shutting down the rear cylinder.  Obviously if you keep the head temp sensor cooled below the threshold setting, the EITMS won't engage and your right leg will notice that fact.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RayK

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

Jerry are you saying that the fans fool the engine into thinking its cooler than it actually is? Ray

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »

I don't feel as though the fans "fool" anything - mine are controlled by a thermostat(available from Wards) which is installed in the same area as the factory cylinder head temp sensor and the thermostat is designed to turn the fans on once the cylinder head temp reaches 190* - which is lower than the threshold to activate the EITMS. It's my belief that if that area of the cylinder's temperature continues to rise the EITMS will kick in - the Wards system does not "fool" or override the EITMS.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

Jerry are you saying that the fans fool the engine into thinking its cooler than it actually is? Ray

The fans do cool the heads, but they do not cool the exhaust and that's what causes the comfort issues.  The exhaust runs many times hotter than the cylinder heads and the cylinders.  The EITMS was designed to cool not only the rear cylinder and head by turning off fuel and spark, but by pumping air through the cylinder and out the exhaust it also cools the exhaust.  When the fans keep the system from engaging, the exhaust will continue to bake your right leg.  Thus my comment that while the fans may keep the heads cooler, they won't keep your leg cooler.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mike weimer

• CVO1: 2009 flhtcuse
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »

I bought the fans don't remember when but probably less than a year ago. they have quit working and guess what my bike seems cooler when stopped  at a red light or stop and go traffic. I have a 2013 fltrx with lower fairings stage 1 download and rush exhaust. the fans did nothing but blow hot air on my right leg. since they lasted less than a year and I did not consider them to cool anything, in my opinion don't waste your money on this snake oil junk.

mike weimer

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

just received an email from Jason. what can I say other than this. a truly honorable businessman. basically he told me if not happy with his product I can get a FULL REFUND. what more can you ask for.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »

Ken

X3 - I find that the right side of the bike is no hotter with the fans.  The heat culprit is the exhaust, and that's just something you have to expect.  In the Tejas heat and humidity during this time of year - it's nice that they are running when stuck at a red light. 

I do use the thermostat, and my first one was bad.  Contacted Ward, and immediately had a new thermostat in the mail a couple of days later.  No issues since. 

But when cruising outside of city driving, I do toggle them off since I don't believe there is a benefit of the fans at higher speeds.

Great Product!!!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »

I have had the Wards Fans for a long time now. They do NOT blow heat on your right leg, that heat comes from the exhaust. They do supply cooling, just stick your had down there and feel the movement of air and the temp of that air, then turn them off and feel that area again. There is a difference. Read in one post that someone turns them off at speed, I don't, they are hooked to thermostat and control themselves. Ward is a great guy, makes a quality product and stands behind it.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »

I have had the Wards Fans for a long time now. They do NOT blow heat on your right leg, that heat comes from the exhaust. They do supply cooling, just stick your had down there and feel the movement of air and the temp of that air, then turn them off and feel that area again. There is a difference. Read in one post that someone turns them off at speed, I don't, they are hooked to thermostat and control themselves. Ward is a great guy, makes a quality product and stands behind it.
x2

and I would like to add this comment as well  I personally have notice my seat is cooler ... when I stopped to refuel bike and take a 5-15min break the fans are running when needed and the heat soak  is a lot less
I can tell the difference when I get back on the saddle again
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »

Living out in Dubai, as you can imagine it gets pretty dam hot! at the moment its about 120 average with humidity running at about 60%, not good for us humans and certainly not good for the already hot running 110 motor!
When it comes to being stuck in  traffic out here we have a problem! if the police see you weaving through stationary traffic they can take your bike off you for up to 3 months! so with that in mind, when the traffic stops, so do you!! when stopping in this heat the bike goes into safe mode within a few minutes!
The 3 areas I decided to hit to cool down the motor was, pipes/tune - Oil Cooler - Fans, in that order
Started with changing the pipes and getting a tune, noticeable difference but not enough to say mission accomplished!
Moved onto Oil Cooler, fitted the HD Premium Cooler, another slight change/improvement, moving in the right direction but still goes into safe mode when stuck in traffic!
Researched Fans! my original choice was the Jims Forceflow Cylinder head cooling fan but too modern looking for the look I was looking for, eventually found the WPW, lots of members recommending them, liked the look and decided to give them a go!
I will start with customer service, I can honestly say that Jason from WPW provided me with the best customer service I have received to date with anyone  whilst dealing with anything connected to Harleys! full stop!
Ordered and received the Fans, following my order I received the Fans and thermal switch within 7 days of order! pretty good considering im out here in Dubai! when receiving the fans I was very pleasantly surprised with the build quality! far exceeded my expectations considering they are built by hand by 1 man in his garage in the sates! very professional looking piece of kit!
Fitting, fitting was very simple, 20 minutes and a couple of bottles of Bud later and the job was done!
Verdict, after all the above said I can honestly say I love the fans! look great, great build quality, fully automatic with the thermal switch, work great, I have purposely left the bike running whist stationary for over 15 minutes in 120 F heat and the bike has never once gone into safe mode, mission accomplished!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »

Living out in Dubai, as you can imagine it gets pretty dam hot! at the moment its about 120 average with humidity running at about 60%, not good for us humans and certainly not good for the already hot running 110 motor!
I have purposely left the bike running whist stationary for over 15 minutes in 120 F heat and the bike has never once gone into safe mode, mission accomplished!

I sure hope you didn't damage your engine doing that!  :'(

120 is WAAY too hot for me to ride anyway... even if I was coasting downhill with the engine OFF! You're one HELL of a lot tougher than I am, brother... Stay as cool as you can over there.

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

I sure hope you didn't damage your engine doing that!  :'(

120 is WAAY too hot for me to ride anyway... even if I was coasting downhill with the engine OFF! You're one HELL of a lot tougher than I am, brother... Stay as cool as you can over there.

Ken
Only tried it once Ken,
And don't ride out in the heat that often! Problem is we get them temps for 6 months of the year and every now and again I just have to hit the road!

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »

My bike is still stock.  Put the WPW fans on and it does seem to help.  My oil pressure seems to stay higher in hot weather, the ETMS does not shut down the rear cylinder, the bike does not ping like it used to.  I do not notice any more heat on the right side.  Because I have no more pinging I believe the fans do actually do some good.

mike weimer

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

sent my fans back to jason for a refund because they quit working. i was refunded my money the day he received the fans. further, he indicated that i had improperly mounted the fans too close to the heads causing the wires to melt. just want to tell you if you order these fans and for any reason you don't like em you will get a refund.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »

sent my fans back to jason for a refund because they quit working. i was refunded my money the day he received the fans. further, he indicated that i had improperly mounted the fans too close to the heads causing the wires to melt. just want to tell you if you order these fans and for any reason you don't like em you will get a refund.

Jason is a great guy, and he makes a quality product. But really... mounting them incorrectly is your fault, not his. They work great if they are installed properly.

Also, it's better to just leave them running all the time, because if they are not running, heat can be trapped between them and the heads. Or better yet - get his thermal switch and let it decide when to cycle them on and off. My fans will cycle on and off many times after shutting the bike off, as more heats migrates out to the fins where the switch is.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »

Jason is a great guy, and he makes a quality product. But really... mounting them incorrectly is your fault, not his. They work great if they are installed properly.

Also, it's better to just leave them running all the time, because if they are not running, heat can be trapped between them and the heads. Or better yet - get his thermal switch and let it decide when to cycle them on and off. My fans will cycle on and off many times after shutting the bike off, as more heats migrates out to the fins where the switch is.

Ken

X2, Jason is a great guy who stands by a great product  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.