Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West coast trip  (Read 2639 times)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

West coast trip
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »

Me and some friends are planning a trip from MI. to the west coast, Northern Cal. and southern OR.,. They were talking about a fly and ride to Oakland and heading north from there.  We may be 4 to 6 couples, depending on who can make it.  One concern would be if we can rent enough baggers, need room for the wife's clothes and comfort,  and another is they want $1000.00 per week per bike, unlimited miles.  I thought we could ship that many bikes, that way we could ride our own, for less $, round trip of course.  Does anyone know of a reliable transporter I could call to check prices or if someone has done this type of trip before.  I even thought of shipping the bikes there and the girls could fly back while the guys have a nice quiet ride back to MI.  :bananarock:  That way it would be a one way shipping expense, too.  So I'm looking at different options, but what I really need are shipping prices.

Ray Z

RayZ

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: West coast trip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Never really heard of round trip shipping, so you would be looking at 2 seperate ships. Easy to do the math on that one...how much to ship out woult be about the cost to ship back. You would save money for sure by riding, but is time critical? Would take 4 long days to ride back unless y'all gonna ironbutt it. Also the only rentals we could find you had to pick up and drop off in same location. For that reason and the time factor we trailer out and back. There are usually 4 of us so we tagteam and drive straight through. Last year we went from NC to NW Mont in 32 hrs. Really saved us some time. Then the big plus is you have your own scoot to ride!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:29 PM »

If time isn't critical, I'd suggest riding out and back....or ship them out then ride them back. 

Rentals in the bay area, Oakland Harley Davidson rents and there's also EagleRider in San Francisco.  With Eagle Rider, you could pick up in SF and drop off in Portland.

Nor Cal has some incredable motorcycle roads.  If you want help laying out a ride route, let me know.  I've got photos posted of most of the Nor Cal routes.  If you let me know your interests in Nor Cal, I can provide you the links.

JC
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »

Thanks for the info.  This is still in the preliminary stage so we have a lot to consider before the ride.  I like the Idea of shipping out and riding back, but time is always a factor for some. I can take the time but I don't know for sure about the others.  I appreciate the offer about NO CAL routes, thanks.  Me and a friend rode west in 08 to Bear Tooth Pass and the girls flew to Jackson Hole WY where we picked them up.  We all rode back together, however, with a bigger group I don't think it would be so simple as last time. 

Eagle Rider is another option, thanks.

Ray Z
RayZ

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »

Eagle Rider is a good option for pickup and dropoff in different location, but be sure you ask about dropoff fees. They have specials when you gonna dropoff in area where they need bikes......otherwise you gonna pay.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »

I have used the Federal via HOG...they ship a lot of bikes.

Check to see were their terminals are located. When  I shipped mine we dripped them off at the terminal in N. Philly and had them shipped to their terminal in Salt Lake City.  The terminal was about 10 miles from the airport and there was a hotel about 1 mile from the terminal.

Flew into Salt Lake....taxi to the hotel....hotel courtesy car to the terminal to pick up the bikes.

Lot cheaper if you can do terminal to terminal.

Good luck.

mark

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

These folks do a great job.

http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

I've looked into this before and You'll probably pay about the same for shipping as the rental.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:28:33 PM by Mark »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »

A number of us have used Keyboard.  However, somebody posted on here a couple of years ago that Keyboard no longer travels west of the Mississippi.   :nixweiss: Rayz51, if you check with Keyboard, would you post on here and let us know what you find out please?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »

I used Federal Motorcycle Transport to ship my SERG3 to Atlanta in late 2010.  It's a division of Allied Van Lines.  I would use them again.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 06:19:24 AM »

if u ride take at least 3 wks, lots to see. I and three friends rode 5200 mi. in 15 days not much fun. must see on the way home glacier park montana.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:26:38 AM by finn »

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »

One way shipping from Federal transport, 4 bikes $534, 5 bikes $529, 6 bikes $526 ea. Delivered to dealer of choice in San Fran area. Round trip would be double the price quoted.
RayZ

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »

Once in cali hit me up I'm way nor cal but would be happy to show you around
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »

I even have room at my ranch and would be happy to put us up for a night or two.  Mt shasta,mt Lassen etc all great rides
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »

I even have room at my ranch and would be happy to put us up for a night or two.  Mt shasta,mt Lassen etc all great rides

:beerchug: :znotworthy:  HHHmmmm
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:25:31 PM »

I shipped from Van. BC to Halifax NS clear cross country ,packed the gear on the bike all insured flew back and took 18 days riding home .Nice pace BSR was happy saw the Northern  US liked a place stopped there .Great trip would ship again ,hate that high miling to get home by a drop dead date  >:( >:(

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.