Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..  (Read 12392 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

A few years back we met a man on the side of the road in Utah. He was riding back to his Wyoming home from California on an old Honda 750. He was 73 and had terminal cancer. We kept in touch but he died a year later. Said he would ride to the bitter end as he didn't want to rust away. As long as I'm not a danger to others, I'll probably do the same. But you never really know until you're there

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »

I got my first motorcycle license in 1956 (I was 14 in Okla) and I'm still going strong. I ride coast to coast, teach group riding classes and provide one on one rider training to anyone who thinks I can help them (My wife and I are former CMSP/MSF rider instructors). I've taken Keith Code's Streets classes and constantly try to improve my skills. I hope I will know when I need to quit riding, until then, I'll keep having fun riding as much as I can.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »

I got my first motorcycle license in 1956 (I was 14 in Okla) and I'm still going strong. I ride coast to coast, teach group riding classes and provide one on one rider training to anyone who thinks I can help them (My wife and I are former CMSP/MSF rider instructors). I've taken Keith Code's Streets classes and constantly try to improve my skills. I hope I will know when I need to quit riding, until then, I'll keep having fun riding as much as I can.

You, Sir, are a riding Godhead!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »

Hey Ken, please don't make that comment to my wife, she thinks she's the riding Goddess!
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »

Call it a natural process, I think everyone goes through it at sometime, to some degree or another. Have done some national events, and as pointed out, you see all kinds of riders. Have done Rolling Thunder in D.C. for one, and although its one of the most moving rides I ever did, the stress of riding with a bunch of strangers takes a toll on you. So our group of friends that I trust and feel comfortable with has shrank to just a couple of riders that seem to enjoy the same type of riding. Most everyone on this thread has said or done the same thing.
Yep....when two up with my wife, who loves to ride as a passenger, the though enters my mind about her safety. Funny when riding by myself, I never really think about it.
As long as I can swing my leg over the seat, and that deep growl when I push the start button brings a smile to my face, I'll still do it. If I become a hazard to those around me, my friends are close enough to me to tell me the truth. I just hope I am man enough to accept it.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Call it a natural process, I think everyone goes through it at sometime, to some degree or another. Have done some national events, and as pointed out, you see all kinds of riders. Have done Rolling Thunder in D.C. for one, and although its one of the most moving rides I ever did, the stress of riding with a bunch of strangers takes a toll on you. So our group of friends that I trust and feel comfortable with has shrank to just a couple of riders that seem to enjoy the same type of riding. Most everyone on this thread has said or done the same thing.
Yep....when two up with my wife, who loves to ride as a passenger, the though enters my mind about her safety. Funny when riding by myself, I never really think about it.
As long as I can swing my leg over the seat, and that deep growl when I push the start button brings a smile to my face, I'll still do it. If I become a hazard to those around me, my friends are close enough to me to tell me the truth. I just hope I am man enough to accept it.

That is an important addition to this discussion, "I hope I am a man enough to accept it". This also of course applies to the elderly who have great difficulty giving up their drivers license.  It's hard, hard for the to give up their independence, and in many places like L.A. There for the most part is No Public Transportation.  In my business (Insurance) I have seen this over and over again.  It's really quite interesting how people handle this.  Some extremely educated people (the adult children) in most part live with the knowledge of what needs to be done but cannot..they just "hope for the best". It's really a big problem.  For me, I has told everyone that when it's time I will just stop.
I have seen many bad examples.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »

Great thread full of postings that I could x2. I hope to ride as long as i want to. I have been through several hobbies and most have faded away with out much real reason. I took 15 years off the biking scene mainly because i developed other hobbies like hunting and fishing. There is only so much time to play for some of us still employed. My wife rides her own following me and I have had more concern about her than me but what can you do, except lead well.
 Quick Comments

-I hate that the trike has no lean angle that gives me pleasure
-hdtrader I see the appeal of the radios but sometimes I don't want to hear from the wife and others. Even in a group ride there is solitude.
- I don't even have a radio and am fine with that
-a 6oo hp convertible car is pretty close to a bike ride.

Good riding to all those who choose.

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »

Until a year ago, at the age of 49, I never really considered life without my rides.  Then I had a stroke. That really put things into perspective--the fact that I wasn't going to live forever, and likely was closer to the end than I would have liked.

At the moment, I'm not sure how it'll go.  I've been rebuilding my strength and balance, but I'm nowhere near where I once was. Having the Fat Boy helps; it's lower and lighter than the RG, but now, getting back into the saddle is what keeps me going.  I missed Sturgis, a 'Bridge Too Far', but maybe next year. Perhaps I'll need to stick to shorter trips, but I'll likely ride until I expire.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »

Until a year ago, at the age of 49, I never really considered life without my rides.  Then I had a stroke. That really put things into perspective--the fact that I wasn't going to live forever, and likely was closer to the end than I would have liked.

At the moment, I'm not sure how it'll go.  I've been rebuilding my strength and balance, but I'm nowhere near where I once was. Having the Fat Boy helps; it's lower and lighter than the RG, but now, getting back into the saddle is what keeps me going.  I missed Sturgis, a 'Bridge Too Far', but maybe next year. Perhaps I'll need to stick to shorter trips, but I'll likely ride until I expire.

Thank you very much for sharing..
Stan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.