Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley Davidson Stock and Motorcycle Sales Performance  (Read 7850 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Harley Davidson Stock and Motorcycle Sales Performance
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »

So in 1980 an electraglide was around 6K or so,

Dave

My first Harley was in 1977. It was a used 73 Sportster.
I remember riding over to the Harley shop in 78 and looking at an Electra Glide they had on sale.
It was a 78 and they had reduced the price to $3,995.00.
I was in love but the checkbook was thin. I always pay cash for my toys so it took a while to step up to a dresser. In 88 I bought my first bagger an 88 Electra Glide Classic. It was $10,000.00 and I put 25K miles on it before I traded for a 91 Classic.
The list is long but since my first I have always had a bagger. Had a few FXR's, Dyna's, 3 Buell's, Jap bikes, a chit load of dirt bikes but always had a dresser. It has been a great adventure and with 6 bikes in the garage now I hope it will last at least another 30 years.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »

You are a young rider. I am 55 and have only been on Harleys since 2009. The reason I mention age is I think that more men are better financially after age fifty when some of the kids and things are paid off or down and there is more play money to be spent. I would also hope that most are more well off later in life. Harley's, and especially the CVO line are very highly priced and not considered an entry level bike so that culls a lot of the young buyers.

I do think that the "baggers" are now a lot more cool with the slammed SG low profile and all that so the whole idea of the cool bike is changing but the Ultra Limited is still a full fledged geezer tourer. I wonder how many owners really do trips that really require all that storage capacity?

I do not intend any argument and your disagreement is taken well and fully understood. But honestly your still just a kid. :D :D :D Honestly you are the next generation of riders and HD should pay more attention to your ideas and not mine. Hell I'll be dead and you'll still be two wheel and up.

If Harley does have one real asset it is marketing. They do not have to change the bikes just the puplic perception of the buyers. "Hey look guys what was not cool, now is, have another cool aide."
I hear what you are saying and you make some great points but to be honest spending 33k for my bike was pretty easy to do. Keep in mind a new truck is easily north of 55k. Cars have gotten crazy as well. I drive a 96 jeep that I've been driving for 16 years and plan to keep driving for some years to come. I can bring myself to buy a bike but I can't do it to justify a car or truck. Also, I know neither bike or cars/trucks appreciate, but I feel my Harley will hold value for quite some time.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »

:)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »

I hear what you are saying and you make some great points but to be honest spending 33k for my bike was pretty easy to do. Keep in mind a new truck is easily north of 55k. Cars have gotten crazy as well. I drive a 96 jeep that I've been driving for 16 years and plan to keep driving for some years to come. I can bring myself to buy a bike but I can't do it to justify a car or truck. Also, I know neither bike or cars/trucks appreciate, but I feel my Harley will hold value for quite some time.

Jesse

Your darn right. I need a new truck but I bought TWO new Harley's. Just got the wife a new SGS last week. For some reason you do n to impress me as the typical man of your age and I mean that in the most complementary fashion. When it is all said and done we do what drives us and for you and I that seems to be a nice bike.

Some things are investments and other are expenditures. I really don't care about the money involved if I enjoy the purchase. Heck I smoke Cuban cigars that cost money are are reduced to pure smoke. I'm a financial genius. LOL

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »

Your darn right. I need a new truck but I bought TWO new Harley's. Just got the wife a new SGS last week. For some reason you do n to impress me as the typical man of your age and I mean that in the most complementary fashion. When it is all said and done we do what drives us and for you and I that seems to be a nice bike.

Some things are investments and other are expenditures. I really don't care about the money involved if I enjoy the purchase. Heck I smoke Cuban cigars that cost money are are reduced to pure smoke. I'm a financial genius. LOL

2 Harleys are definitely better than 1!

I especially enjoyed your comments highlighted in bold. Rubber side down Dr. D. Hope we can meet up some day  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »

Dave

My first Harley was in 1977. It was a used 73 Sportster.
I remember riding over to the Harley shop in 78 and looking at an Electra Glide they had on sale.
It was a 78 and they had reduced the price to $3,995.00.
I was in love but the checkbook was thin. I always pay cash for my toys so it took a while to step up to a dresser. In 88 I bought my first bagger an 88 Electra Glide Classic. It was $10,000.00 and I put 25K miles on it before I traded for a 91 Classic.
The list is long but since my first I have always had a bagger. Had a few FXR's, Dyna's, 3 Buell's, Jap bikes, a chit load of dirt bikes but always had a dresser. It has been a great adventure and with 6 bikes in the garage now I hope it will last at least another 30 years.

SBB

Thanks Chip.  Sort of helps my point, the cost increase on a new Harley has not gone up as fast as the cost of a new Pick-up or car.  My memory was a bit foggy on the cost in 80 as all I could afford in 81 was a 71 Iron Head Sportster.  An that was a stretch.

Funny, for years I had neighbors asking me how I could ride 30K plus bikes and drive 20K cars.  My answer was, bikes bring joy, cars get us to work or the airport.  Heck, we had 4 harley be fore we had a car over 40K, the wife Range Rover Evoque.  We had Five harley before I had a nice car, a 14 Stingray.  The Stingray does not have 7K miles on it yet, the 15 SERGU has 11,400 miles on it

I do the cigar thing too, and high end Bourbon.  Have several bottles over 100, a few over 200 and two over 300.  If I can afford it, and I enjoy it I am good with it. 

The first thing I do every month though is Fund my retirement.  Main reason is I know I will want nice things when I do not have to work...
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.