Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Helmet law could be changing in Ontario  (Read 2909 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Helmet law could be changing in Ontario
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »

doesn't the Baptist church require it's congregation to abstain from the intoxicating effects of fermented beverages?  yeah right!

So does Islam, but I know some Muslims that can drink me under the table.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »

That's my point!  is not wearing a hat going to put you in hell?  How to do shower or sleep!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »

That's my point!  is not wearing a hat going to put you in hell?  How to do shower or sleep!

But it's not just a hat...it's a turban  :P .... they need to wear it outside of the house...and if you saw how long their hair is under the turban, you'd see why...the orthodox Sihks don't shave or cut their hair.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

I don't think riding a motorcycle in Canada counts as being in public.  30m people in the second largest (or is it 3rd?) country in the world leaves a lot of unoccupied space to ride in.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »

I don't think riding a motorcycle in Canada counts as being in public.  30m people in the second largest (or is it 3rd?) country in the world leaves a lot of unoccupied space to ride in.

I'd like to hide some of those people including politicians about 6 feet under.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »

Well,well,well. Just thought I'd bring everyone up to speed. Seems as though there is justice after all. This fellow had his day in court today and lost. He , like every other CANADIAN must wear a helmet like everyone else and was not considered being discriminated against. Probably cost the tax payers 300 grand. I could have solved it for about 5 bucks. ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:49:56 PM by Muffman »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

Well,well,well. Just thought I'd bring everyone up to speed. Seems as thougfh there is justice after all. This fellow had his day in court today and lost. He , like every other CANADIAN must wear a helmet like everyone else and was not considered being discriminated against. Probably cost the tax payers 300 grand. I clould have solved it for about 5 bucks. ;D

Wow, ammos THAT expensive in Canada?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »

Figured I'd use a box. And that is with GST. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »

Brampton Ontario

TWR

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »

hi is their a big hole at the end of that road ?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »

Judge Rejects Challenge To Ontario Helmet Law

Thursday March 6, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Baljinder Badesha will have to head to British Columbia or Manitoba if he wants to feel the wind in his face as he rides his motorcycle.

In a decision that took more than two years to move through the courts, a judge ruled that forcing Badesha to wear a helmet does not violate his religious freedom.

Badesha is a devout Sikh, who must wear a turban - and only a turban - to cover his hair.  While riding his motorcycle without a helmet in September 2005, he was ticketed and fined $110.

He took that ticket to court with the support of the Ontario Human Rights Commission. They argued that the helmet law violates his constitutional rights.

That claim was rejected by Ontario Court Justice James Blacklock, who ruled that safety trumps religious rights.  Helmet-free bikers, he said, would put "undue hardship" on the province because of safety concerns.(Read his decision here.)

The Crown argued helmet laws protect against head injuries, and save the public health-care system millions of dollars.

Badesha doesn't agree. "I don't think there's any risks are there. People, they're dying with the helmet, too," he pointed out.

Outside the court, Badesha's lawyer, Melvin Sokolsky told reporters the reason behind his fight. "If his religion allowed he would wear a helmet. Simple as that. He has nothing against wearing helmets."

Sokolsky said that while he agreed that the action is dangerous, the risk is minimal. "To allow the number of religious Sikhs who would actually avail themselves of this right to ride a motorcycle without a helmet would not pose any great degree of safety risk ... the risk would be minimal and the law requires the government to prove that there would be undue hardship if they allowed an accommodation or an exemption. We feel that the Crown has not shown undue hardship."

He said the reaction is "somewhat disappointing. We were hoping that Judge Blacklock would agree with other decisions which were favorable."

That reasoning doesn't sit well with Brian Patterson of the Ontario Safety League. "You can find a lower safety standard all over the world. Ontario's setting the benchmark in Canada, and we're going to encourage my counterparts in those other provinces to raise the bar in those provinces."

Badesha has 15 days to decide if he'll appeal, and his lawyer said he might do just that.

British Columbia, Manitoba, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and India all allow devout Sikhs to ride without a helmet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge's Decision

(94)  The onus lies on the Applicant to prove that he has suffered discrimination under the Human Rights Code. It is argued here that the Applicant is denied a "service" by this legislation namely the use of a public highway to drive a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. It is conceded by the Attorney General that this much is true. The question remains, however, am I satisfied that the accused has been discriminated against within the meaning of the Ontario Human Rights Code.

(95) There is a debate as to the relevance of the analysis laid out in the Supreme Court's decision in Law, supra, to determining if discrimination is present with the meaning of the Ontario Human Rights Code. I have come to the conclusion that I do not need to resolve that question in this case.  If Law, supra, applies then, in my view, the analysis I set out earlier would lead me to conclude that the Applicant has failed in this case to discharge the burden to show "discrimination."

(96)  If Law, supra, does not apply then the language of the legislation would seem to support a finding of at least "constructive discrimination" in this case as described in section 11(1) of the Code, supra. I would be prepared to assume that the Applicant has discharged his burden to establish discrimination in this case. That would still leave the question, however, of whether I was satisfied on the balance of probabilities that the accommodation of permitting Mr. Badesha and other similarly situate Sikhs to ride a motorcycle helmetless on Ontario's public thoroughfare represents an "undue" hardship on Ontario.

(97) For the reasons I have set out under my analysis of section 1, I am satisfied that it would be an "undue" hardship on Ontario as it would compel the Province to abandon a reasonable safety standard. The evidence before me shows that to ride a motorcycle helmetless, involves the imposition of significant extra risks related to safety. The proposed accommodation would require Ontario, over its objection, to abandon its interest in, and efforts to protect, the lives of all riders of motorcycles, their dependants as well as other users of the road. Given the nature of Mr. Badesha's beliefs, which foreclose him from wearing anything over his turban, and yet the unquestioned safety and related issues, this is one of those cases in which, unfortunately, no accommodation appears possible.

(98)  In the result then the current application is dismissed and counsel are free to address me further with respect to the scheduling of the remaining issues in this matter namely the making of a finding of guilt and the imposition of sentence. I would like to thank all parties for the very helpful submissions and materials I received in this matter and the co-operation I was accorded in scheduling its hearing.

(99) I want to emphasize again, that the outcome of this case turned on what I determined was or was not required as a matter of constitutional law and The Ontario Human Rights Code. What the Province may choose to do in this area, as a matter of policy now, or in the future, of course remains a matter for the Legislature.

Justice W.J. Blacklock

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:52 AM »

Brampton Ontario

Looks like a convenience store manager's convention ;D ;D ;D

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
    • Weather in my neck of the woods
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »

Remember, not all sects of Muslims believe the same things.  Like Mormon and Catholic. Still considered Christian but different beliefs within.

So in the case of Sikhs, its a branch of Muslim that doesn't allow drinking.. where as some of the other Muslim sects will drink you under the table. :)

In either case, I don't believe religous beliefs should get you out of wearing a helmet, it's the law, obey it if you want to ride. Driving is not something guaranteed by our constiution(and I wouldn't think Canada's either) its a priveledge we get that they can revoke if we don't obey the rules the set forth for operating a vehicle on the streets.

Paul

--------

You ever stop to think.... and forget to start again?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 23 queries.