Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: VP Chaney's hunting  "accident"  (Read 8114 times)

RedFXR2

Re: VP Chaney's hunting
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 08:53:06 AM »

What choice does he have?

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 09:50:10 AM »

[highlight]Sure would have been easier and simpler to just tell the truth [/highlight]

Why would they start now!!!  Its politics.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 10:09:34 AM »

I think in politics nowadays its "darned if you do and darned if you don't" I just wish (never happen) that the politicians would go back to governing and stop trying to make political points out of every situation that happens.

This isn't a liberal or a conservative issue, both sides do it.  Just fix my roads, get the war won and done, stop government growth, control inflation and let me ride without a helmet if I want to......seems simple enough to me.

Oh and stop trying to make Cheney's accident into a metaphor for how the President is running the country, it has nothing to do with it, its why they call them "ACCIDENTS".

RedFXR2

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »

I just wish (never happen) that the politicians would go back to governing and stop trying to make political points out of every situation that happens.

This isn't a liberal or a conservative issue, both sides do it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 01:59:42 PM by RedFXR2 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »

I think in politics nowadays its "darned if you do and darned if you don't".  [highlight]I just wish (never happen) that the politicians would go back to governing and stop trying to make political points out of every situation that happens.[/highlight]This isn't a liberal or a conservative issue, both sides do it.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »

My guess would be that Karl Rove called him and told him to do it because it wasn't going to just go away, as planned.

RedFXR2

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 02:01:36 PM »

Right on!

RedFXR2

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »

Forgetting one thing and one likely thing.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »

I understand what you're saying and I agree that it works that way "at that level", but to me, in this case, it was time to forget about protocol and do the right thing, no matter what title is attached to your name.

Agreed.  But is the right thing talking about it immediately?  Obviously the first "right thing" is making sure the victim is ok.  In this case he was in far better care than if he'd been out hunting with someone Fortune 1000 senior CEO or COO at that person wouldn't regularly travel with a medic and with a local ambulance at the scene as a matter of course.  

Since I noticed this thread earlier I did some homework to see what the story actually was.  The hunting was being done on the property of a woman who was the former Director of the State fish and wildlife agency.  An experienced hunter and property manager.  Someone who it might be expected could handle "press" and "story" on a hunting accident.

There was no member of the VP's press staff on the trip.  Not uncommon on a private trip.  The hunting party itself were three old friends; Cheney, the victim, and a woman who is also reported as an experienced hunter and who is also a former US Ambassador.  So these are all folks (including the property owner) in the loop on the kinds of information handling they are used to.

The best press accounts I've read all seem to suggest that information was in fact released.  The VP asked the property owner (the former director of the Texas state agency that handles hunters and hunting) to handle the information release.  Since there was no press staff on the trip the woman contacted the local newspaper.  And in 24-36 hours time the story was around the world.  Including www.cvoharley.com .  So where was any real delay or coverup?

One last thing, there seems to be a suggestion here that because it was the US VP there was somehow less information than more.  Bull.  We wouldn't know about it at all if most Fortune 1000 or Fortune 500 COOs or CFOs had a private accident on private land with private friends.

Might the VP have grabbed an agent's cell phone and called Rupert Murdoch to say "hey Rup old boy, I just shot one, I need to walk over and see if he's dead before I can give you the whole story."  Yeah, sure, they could've released info (if they had staff on hand) with greater effect than going through the local small town newspaper.  The great difference in the grand scheme of things would have 18 hours difference before before it made it to all the wires.  Big frigging deal.

RedFXR2

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:14 PM »

Oh, I agree with most of what you say.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »

Oh, I agree with most of what you say.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »

It was an accident and like any accident you or me or anyone else has ever been involved in, there's a certain clusterf_ _ _ aspect to it. Think about personal sitiations of this type and then insert the world press in the equation and tell me how you'd come out smelling ?  Accidents IMHO are in the middle of a chain of events. We now know the whole story and to me it sounds like your typical screwed up clusterf_ _ _ where everyone has their own version of things. Since Mr. Chaney dispises the press, it's no wonder he left it to the ranch owner to spill the beans and she cherry picked the local paper so she wouldn't get grilled by the so called "elite white house press corps" (note the lack of caps) The only bullchit in the whole incident is that the ranch owner lied about the beer at lunch.Amazing that a woman with her "credentials" thought the truth wouldn't get out. I was originally suspicious since the Veep is such a snarky bastard, but in all fairness, this is your routine run of the mill screwed up accident, no different than one you and I might find ourselves in the middle of.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2006, 07:37:17 PM »

Spidey,

I think you have it right.  A bud of mine has hunted pheasant in South Dakota for 30 years.  Last year the ranch owner wanted to put a doctor and friend with my buddies group for the day.  They weren't up for it but the ranch owner talked them into it saying the doc was a stand up guy and knew his stuff.

Two hours later my buddy took a barrel load of 12 gauge number eight in the chest.  Fortunately, unlike the Texas debacle, it was cold in SD and he had on several layers and shooting glasses.  The shot penetrated to the last layer and one bb went through his ear, another through a finger and hand.  Lucky as hell.  The doc no longer is invited to the ranch and my buddy and his group got a few days no charge.

It was an accident and they do happen.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »

this is your routine run of the mill screwed up accident, no different than one you and I might find ourselves in the middle of.

It was an accident and they do happen.

Sanity; whodathunkit?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2006, 07:55:33 PM »

you know who really loves it........the late nite comedians!  ;D spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.