Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cop that killed biker in Indianapolis was drunk on duty  (Read 8756 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Cop that killed biker in Indianapolis was drunk on duty
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »

Just heard that the cop that killed one biker and critically injured two others last week was found legally drunk while on duty---I think it said .19 which is over twice the limit in Indiana.
  Even cops are killing us now--maybe this one won't get away.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100811/NEWS02/100811007/Cop-cited-in-accident-turns-himself-in
Steve

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Cop that killed biker in Indianapolis was drunk on duty
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:31 PM »

Man, what is going on?

Here in the Sacramento area there are several on trial right now.  A sherriff's deputy had his brother kill a CDC (Calif. prison system) corrections officer because he was having an affair with the deputy's wife.  A CHP officer was arrested as he completed his shift, for being under the influence of methampetamines........more were found in his car and home.  A few weeks later he was arrested again for solicitation of murder of the informant who told on him in the first place.  His girlfriend (on the news looked to be a real tweaker) was also busted for under the influence, possession, etc. etc.

Up in El Dorado county there's a Sargent on trial for killing his ex-wife and it goes on and on.  Then  there was the one that was cited for speeding and reckless driving but wasn't arrested nor was his vehicle impounded (normal proceudre for reckless driving). 

Makes one wonder.......have they loosened the standards or what? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »

no -  it's a matter of misunderstood "esprit de corps" we observe with almost any police force werever you look. It starts with backing up your buddy, leads to neglecting regular standards and in the end invites to just feel exempt form the laws applying to the rest of the world ...

The group will be the more vulnerabele for this disease if it's a locally recruited force and no special professional education is mandatory.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

Cops doodes, the original NARCS......
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »

Man, what is going on?

Here in the Sacramento area there are several on trial right now.  A sherriff's deputy had his brother kill a CDC (Calif. prison system) corrections officer because he was having an affair with the deputy's wife.  A CHP officer was arrested as he completed his shift, for being under the influence of methampetamines........more were found in his car and home.  A few weeks later he was arrested again for solicitation of murder of the informant who told on him in the first place.  His girlfriend (on the news looked to be a real tweaker) was also busted for under the influence, possession, etc. etc.

Up in El Dorado county there's a Sargent on trial for killing his ex-wife and it goes on and on.  Then  there was the one that was cited for speeding and reckless driving but wasn't arrested nor was his vehicle impounded (normal proceudre for reckless driving). 

What's next? Is somebody gonna tell me there is no Santa?

CBW

• 1K CVO Member
  • HOG,AMA,ABATE
    • PA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDFSE
    • CVO3: 1984 FXE,1964 FLH
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »

That is really screwed up  :confused5:
RIDE SAFE and Never RIDE faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »

Man, what is going on?

While the answer is not 'yes' the issue that has developed over the last 20 years is a lack of military personnel that are coming out of the military & becoming police officers.  For many years people were putting 4 yrs + in the military then going into law enforcement, when that changed the quality of officers changed.  This isn't to say that only ex military make good LEO's they just contributed a significant amount of more mature individuals to it.  Now with military service being voluntary & the # of military folks being lower the pool of candidates for law enforcement is lower.

I was talking with a retired LEO her in Phoenix a few weeks ago, he was telling me that the average age of officers in Phoenix is 25 to 30 & the average length of time on the force is 3 years.  They are being promoted to Sgt, Lt with only 4 or 5 years of experience.

So there you have it, look around & you will probably see similiar trends in your area.  It isn't that they are bad candidates as a whole, but it certainly opens the door to issues, especially when they don't have guidance by moe seasoned officers.

Just my thoughts....
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

Hey in Alabama, you can hire them to protect you no matter what you are up to.  Seems a little out of whack
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

Update---They've dropped the alcohol charges! Can you believe it?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »

Here's the link to the story.  We all figured he'd get off and they've got a good start on getting him off now.  How can anyone have any respect for law enforcement people anymore?
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100819/NEWS02/8190485/Cop-s-blood-draw-not-admissible-in-court

Sure makes me not want to go to Indy and I need to tomorrow morning.
Steve

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Update---They've dropped the alcohol charges! Can you believe it?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Here's the link to the story.  We all figured he'd get off and they've got a good start on getting him off now.  How can anyone have any respect for law enforcement people anymore?
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100819/NEWS02/8190485/Cop-s-blood-draw-not-admissible-in-court

Skip
Don't let this make you feel you can't  respect law enforcement, because of the action of a incident. It's every where, we just don't see it, or they get away with it. Alcoholism  is in every line of profession there is, especially law enforcement, because of the high stress factor and the fact that they have one of the most dangerous day to day jobs there is.
What ever your doing in Indy get out and enjoy the town, it's a Great City.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »

This makes you not respect the thousands of honest hard working men and women in law enforcement? Your kidding right.. Attorneys get people out of similar situations every day, it just doesn't make the news.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »

Skip
Don't let this make you feel you can't  respect law enforcement, because of the action of a incident. It's every where, we just don't see it, or they get away with it. Alcoholism  is in every line of profession there is, especially law enforcement, because of the high stress factor and the fact that they have one of the most dangerous day to day jobs there is.
What ever your doing in Indy get out and enjoy the town, it's a Great City.  :2vrolijk_21:

Sorry, but my respect was fairly low to begin with due to our local Sheriff's dept, which I am more familiar with.  If this doesn't smell of a cover up I sure don't know what does.  They took the guy to the wrong place for a blood draw.  Come on now, how many times does that happen? If this guy is an alcoholic then others around him had to know-you just can't cover that up forever.  Law enforcement needs to earn respect and I don't know how it is where you live but around here it's almost a laughing matter.  Indianapolis is not a "Great City" anymore.  They have killings every night, even the prosecutor and mayor agree they have a problem.  If you want to discuss the stress and danger, I farm for a living and I can tell you to look it up anywhere you want to but farming is a more dangerous occupation than law enforcement---the one I saw put farmers at #5 and law enforcement #10.  Stress and danger shouldn't make a difference anyway, the people involved have to learn to deal with it and drinking on the job is not the way to do it-whether you're a farmer or a cop.  LIke I said before, law enforcement has to earn respect and around here there are plenty that aren't doing that.  I'll give you that there are probably many that are good but all we've seen lately is the bad.  And the cleanup of the department needs to start at the top, mayor on down.  Too many times this just gets swept under the rug and disappears and it's time for it to stop.  I can assure you that if I had killed that biker while I was drunk I'd still be sitting in jail awaiting trial----it needs to be equal for all.
Steve

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »

Anyone concerned can go to the article I listed above and read all the comments left and you'll soon see I'm not alone in how I feel about it.
Steve

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

Sorry, but my respect was fairly low to begin with due to our local Sheriff's dept, which I am more familiar with.  If this doesn't smell of a cover up I sure don't know what does.  They took the guy to the wrong place for a blood draw.  Come on now, how many times does that happen? If this guy is an alcoholic then others around him had to know-you just can't cover that up forever.  Law enforcement needs to earn respect and I don't know how it is where you live but around here it's almost a laughing matter.  Indianapolis is not a "Great City" anymore.  They have killings every night, even the prosecutor and mayor agree they have a problem.  If you want to discuss the stress and danger, I farm for a living and I can tell you to look it up anywhere you want to but farming is a more dangerous occupation than law enforcement---the one I saw put farmers at #5 and law enforcement #10.  Stress and danger shouldn't make a difference anyway, the people involved have to learn to deal with it and drinking on the job is not the way to do it-whether you're a farmer or a cop.  LIke I said before, law enforcement has to earn respect and around here there are plenty that aren't doing that.  I'll give you that there are probably many that are good but all we've seen lately is the bad.  And the cleanup of the department needs to start at the top, mayor on down.  Too many times this just gets swept under the rug and disappears and it's time for it to stop.  I can assure you that if I had killed that biker while I was drunk I'd still be sitting in jail awaiting trial----it needs to be equal for all.

I'll be..... googled it and sure enough, out of the 15 most dangerous in the U.S., Po-po was #10 and Farmers/Ranchers #5....

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »

some more of this topic. Seems just the sort of cover-up one had to expect ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.