Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Interesting info regarding lane splitting  (Read 11085 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Re: Interesting info regarding lane splitting
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »

It's interesting to note, the CHP Motor Cops who I've had the good fortune to fall behind on the freeway do not follow this guideline.  Even so, they are very highly trained riders and do have an obvious look that makes cages widen the gap on instinct.  To increase visibility, I just ordered the Biker Buddy P+1 headlight modulator.  It will help in that regard.  http://www.bikerbuddy.net/content/bikerbuddy%E2%84%A2-p1%C2%AE-headlight-modulator  Just don't use it when riding in groups.  It can be irritating having that in the rear view mirror for long periods of time. 

I believe the speed limitation will be used for those who are doing crazy speeds through nearly stopped traffic, but not because someone passed between two cars safely, when given the room to do so, however traffic is flowing. 

We split here in California quite a bit, but I try to be courteous, so not to upset those sensitive souls stuck in traffic.  The heavier the traffic, the more contentious it can be.  I've heard of cages getting tickets when deliberately closing the gap by moving over when they see the bike.  One of my riding buddies told me there was a CHP behind him and when the cage moved over to block, the blue lights came on.   :2vrolijk_21:

It's good to see something in writing, but I believe it is as much for the cage drivers, so they know bikes are going to be passing between them and it is legal. 

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

The guidelines say "motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room, but only at speeds no more than 10 miles-per-hour faster than the vehicles they're passing. The rules also say that motorcyclists should not attempt the move at full freeway speeds, or in any traffic going faster than 30 mph."

That sentence would indicate that they will start enforcing what they haven't been previously, lane-splitters 10MPH above speed of other vehicles, or freeway speeds, or in traffic faster than 30MPH. Trying to make it safer out there for all concerned, but it's a big change in that it's now in writing (but not codified).
 :soapbox:

Right now it's just general guidelines.....the law hasn't changed.......YET!  This article was in the news this morning, by AP....

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The California Highway Patrol has created the first written guidelines on motorcycle "lane-splitting," the maneuver by which cyclists pass vehicles in adjacent lanes by driving between them. 

The Sacramento Bee reported Monday that California is the only state that allows lane-splitting. Until now, there have never been safety guidelines for the polarizing practice that often pits motorcycles against cars and trucks.   

The guidelines say motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room, but only at speeds no more than 10 miles-per-hour faster than the vehicles they're passing. 

The rules also say that motorcyclists should not attempt the move at full freeway speeds, or in any traffic going faster than 30 mph.

The guidelines come as the number of motorcyclists in California have risen, as well as the number of motorcycle crashes.

The Associated Press
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »

Disclaimers:

Risk of getting a ticket: Motorcyclists who lane split are not relieved of the responsibility to obey all existing traffic laws. With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

That's always been the case, Don.  Traffic enforcement is always discreationary.....some (like me) always get a ticket while others get a warning.    :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »

I used to split lanes all the time in Japan. It's legal there as well. It really interesting at a red light when the little scooters and mopeds cut the lanes and pull in front of traffic, and gather at the front of the line. It wasn't unusual to have ten - twenty scooters at the front of the pack at traffic lights.

On a side note, having driven in many other countries, the US has some of the most lax drivers licensing requirements of any country I have been in. There are a significant amount of drivers on the US roads, that are barely qualified to ride in the back of the bus, let alone actually operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. Splitting lanes here seems so much riskier than it did in Japan.
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

That's always been the case, Don.  Traffic enforcement is always discreationary.....some (like me) always get a ticket while others get a warning.    :nixweiss:

How do you get a ticket when you've posted you're not riding anymore  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

Haven't got a ticket in the past three months.  But believe it or not.....you can get a discreationary ticket (or is that "non-discreationary?) for any number of infractions including speeding, wreckless driving, improper lane change, etc. with any kind of motor vehicle.....doesn't have to necessarily be a motorcycle.  And now it looks like they're going to add lane spliting to those "non-discreationary" tickets.  :nervous:

An interesting video clip......the guy says "you think we don't see you.  But we see you......we see you....putting on your lipstick, talking on your cell phone, not paying attention......and that's why we're still alive!".

http://www.kcra.com/news/CHP-posts-first-ever-guidelines-for-legal-lane-splitting/-/11797728/18462038/-/fl1j7fz/-/index.html

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »

And you should see JC lane-split with that 5th wheel!  :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »

Haven't got a ticket in the past three months.  But believe it or not.....you can get a discreationary ticket (or is that "non-discreationary?) for any number of infractions including speeding, wreckless driving, improper lane change, etc. with any kind of motor vehicle.....doesn't have to necessarily be a motorcycle.  And now it looks like they're going to add lane spliting to those "non-discreationary" tickets.  :nervous:

An interesting video clip......the guy says "you think we don't see you.  But we see you......we see you....putting on your lipstick, talking on your cell phone, not paying attention......and that's why we're still alive!".

http://www.kcra.com/news/CHP-posts-first-ever-guidelines-for-legal-lane-splitting/-/11797728/18462038/-/fl1j7fz/-/index.html

JCZ, looking at the comments below the video it shows this goofy statement. Very uninformed and scary.

Richard  :pineapple:

"Paula Treat
I have wanted to see lane splitting outlawed for years. It is scary for auto drivers and should be banned. more than once I have wanted to open my door."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »

JCZ, looking at the comments below the video it shows this goofy statement. Very uninformed and scary.

Richard  :pineapple:

"Paula Treat
I have wanted to see lane splitting outlawed for years. It is scary for auto drivers and should be banned. more than once I have wanted to open my door."

Yep.....like the guy indicated.....it messes up their texting and their lipstick job.  :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »

Here in the UK it dose not say it's legal or not legal. The only statement in the riding manual is "Quote" (when in slow moving traffic a vehicle is following to close behind you what shod you do? Answer, slow down gradually to increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front to a safe distance.) :nixweiss: No rider I have seen has put that one to practise.
Lane splitting gos on all over BUT!!... it dose not stop there, rides are all over the place. You'll have on a two/three lane, bikes will be passing on eather side of you, when your already doing 50 MPH. Crawling traffic riders will pass you riding in the on comming lane and at the same time one will be on the other side of you.

The driving manual dose put a big envies on cagedivers to be on the look out for rides. There is also a lot of TV adds on drivers be wear, thy show some graphic collisions between car and bike, this is geared to the cagedriver awareness on riders.  "NOT" to riders.

At the end of the day, there's no reference to say you can or can't lanesplit. Our choice and watch out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.