Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Harley Sales Go From Bad to Worse  (Read 10097 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Harley Sales Go From Bad to Worse
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »

Got mine this past Saturday, Jim.  Don't it just make you wanta go getcha a new'un?

NO!  No discount for CVO.  Should be even higher discount for CVO.  Actually insulting getting that card,  03 was the last non-CVO I bought.  I have bought many CVO's since then.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »

Harley has been adamant for a long time about never discounting prices, supposedly to "protect the brand".  It's the same reason given for their heavy-handed reactions to dealerships advertising discounted pricing of not only bikes but parts and accessories.  That is a hard policy to keep however when you're continually losing sales and reducing capacity.  Keep right on "protecting the brand" until you run it into the ground, or perhaps trade a little gross profit for more sales and keep the production lines running and the dealers in business.  Lots of folks in the auto industry have tried that hard line thing over the years, and most have had to soften that line when their sales fell.  I predict there will even come a time in the not so distant future when Apple will have to pull back on their pricing policies.  The economy is only rewarding a small percentage of the population, and those folks aren't the ones who drive these markets.  What used to be called the middle class is the real driver, and it's shrinking.

This $1500 promotion is unlikely to make a big difference in sales.  Considering the high prices of the bikes that amount doesn't exactly equate to a fire sale incentive.  If they get serious and bump that to $3000 or more, and more widely promote it, they might at least retain customers that are currently looking at lower priced competitors with better quality products.  I don't know about anyone else, but I have a really hard time convincing myself to buy any product that is lower in quality AND higher in price.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »

I have purchased 8 bikes in 23 years and I did not get a coupon...
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

I have purchased 8 bikes in 23 years and I did not get a coupon...

4 bikes in 16 years, no coupon. 

Not that I need a coupon.

But other people got them.

Dammit.

???
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »

12 Harley's since 1989...what's that, 29 years?...good golly, where has the time gone...and no coupons here, either. 

I did have to wait a few months on models during the '90's AND I did get a couple cheap "free" t-shirts in the process..... ;D :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:41:55 PM by Haird »

mark

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »

We are Baby Boomers...maybe the MoCo thinks you guys are dead. 

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »

Good one Mark....
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

I got some free t shirts, probably those were the years HD's profits were sinking.   :huepfenlol2:

Considering the folks I rode with in the last 15 years or so as compared to now, unfortunately & sadly some of them are no longer riding. 

Or breathing.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »

This discounting card is also NOT for the CVO's according to the fine print.... :(
Nor can anyone beside the person receiving the flyer or someone in their household (same address). Mine got immediately filed.... in the trash. 8)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »

I got one the other day, looked at it & laughed. $1500 off and not GOOD on a CVO. Think I’ll just keep my 2009 FLTRSE3 and become the old guy on a Twin Cam. I remember all those old guys on Knuckles & Panheads, maybe the TC’s will get that status someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »

I got an interesting phone call today from one of the local H-D dealerships and they wanted to know if I received my discount card and would I be interested in using it with them.
They then stated that I was selected to be part of a focus group to evaluate a 2018 Harley and wanted to know when one their salesmen could call and set up an appointment day for me to "evaluate by test riding some 2018 bikes".
I thought sales must be lagging if they have to use such flattery and B.S. to get me in the showroom.
I told them thanks but no thanks......

mark

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

Similar experience several weeks ago...received a call from a local dealership “offering me a personal, invitation only, demo day, etc., etc.”

ultrarider123

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »

Was at Bootlegger HD yesterday getting a new rear tire and left side handlebar switch pack installed (one switch went out...the OD/trip/reserve trigger...instead of being able to replace one switch, had to replace the entire pack at $260 bucks.... >:(  sorry, rant mode started...I'll turn that off and continue...) anyhoo, walking around the dealership for a couple of hours made me realize there wasn't anything in there I just had to have.  No color, model, option, etc. bent my neck enough to cause any type of reaction but "meh".  The cherry red color is nice but on a RG custom at $26,000?  Not that many years ago I purchased a brand spanking new FLHTCU, two toned paint AND a brand new color matched Bushtec Genesis trailer for $3,000 less than that (tax, title, prep, hitch included).... :nixweiss:

Any time I'm in either Knoxville store, they are after me to test ride a couple different bikes and let them know my opinion.  Not that I'm any expert, I have purchased a few from them over the years and I've taken them up on it once or twice.  The last time it ended up costing me so no more.

However, yesterday I had the opportunity to be visited by one of the newer sales folks (they didn't know me) who walked up while I was perusing a used '16 SERGU and started waxing eloquently about all the great features of that bike and I really needed to ride it to feel the difference.  I played along and asked if that 110 was any better or worse than the new Milwaukee 8.  He was beside himself on the new motor and, while this particular '16 he was attempting to sell me was the exception to the rule, the old twin cam was junk. 

Playing dumb (which is very easy for me to do for some reason... :P ) I inquired as to any issues with the new motor?  Were there any glitches the MoCo may have had introducing an all new power plant?  Oh no, he said, and that I really needed to ride one.  It's the best motor out there.  Oh, by the way, he said, did you receive a "rebate" offer in the mail recently?  Why, yes I did but stated I thought the MoCo wasn't in the rebate business.  He went into the general sales speech as the service manager came up to let me know the bike was ready.  Mr. salesman asked what I had (he didn't see me ride up).  Upon the realization of what I was riding, he wasn't interested anymore and had to make a "phone call".  Funny stuff there....I love playing that game but even after all that, nothing stirred the soul on the dealer floor.

And isn't that the whole idea?  If your heart isn't twanged when you see/experience/ride a bike and there isn't any music, you walk.  The MoCo has a LONG way to go in getting to a place that provides quality, reliable product with soul stirring paint/design, rebate card or not...

That's my opinion anyway.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »

I got some free t shirts, probably those were the years HD's profits were sinking.   :huepfenlol2:

when I bought my wife her 25 yr anniversary present (07 deluxe) the sales person told her to go pick out a COUPLE of shirts, (thinking t-shirts,like everyone else). so she comes strolling back up with two $65.00, ladies dress shirts. he never specified, his mouth wide open. he swallowed hard, she got the shirts. after that the dealer stated giving you A (as in 1) t-shirt that says "I got mine at ........". used to pick out a couple from any design off the shelf. not any more
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »

I think the MoCo is trying to get us off of CVOs and back on regular models.   :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.