Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Front motor mount  (Read 5325 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Front motor mount
« on: August 26, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »

Replaced the front mount today.  A bit ago I'd noticed the centre bolt bouncing more then i think it should be so I ordered up a new mount.
When I got the old one off I had a look  at it, and YUP it was quiet  soft , soft enough I  could move with my fingers. The pic I'm putting very little pressure to bend the rubber.

Then I saw it ,...Im thinking where the sam  was this bike made?  The only think I'm sure of that it was imported from the USA 
There are so many things I'm finding on this bike that are stamped  MADE IN CHINA!!

Is it still the same with the newer 17 18s       

J.D.

Re: Front motor mount
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »

Yep have changed a few torn ones myself.  They usually tear on the underside.  The latest MoCo version is pretty robust at the expense of a bit of vibration transmission, or there's the aftermarket polyurethane.

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

Assembled in USA would be more accurate

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »

Failures were quite common with the original design mounts, which were made from good old fashioned rubber.  They were more compliant (softer) than the later urethane version, but like most rubber they would break down over time and exposure to things like ozone, used motor oil dumped on them when changing the wonderfully placed oil filter, etc.  I can't remember exactly when Harley updated the material, but I though it was around 2006.  Personally, I changed my 2005 out and used an aftermarket urethane product.  It is less compliant and transfers a little more vibration to the frame, but it's pretty much resistant to chemical attack.

I'm going to beat a dead horse again, so this is fair warning to those who don't appreciate my comments.  Like many of the other parts on my and other Harley's that require replacement way too often, I find I don't have that same issue with the automotive products I've owned going back to the 60's.  Never once have I had to change a motor mount on any of my four wheeled vehicles.  And the oldest ones used materials not much different than what Harley used. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »

Assembled in USA would be more accurate

:D :D True!

It seems I'm reassembling it one bit at a time here in the UK. The out side looks Harley Davidson  but in fact it becoming all aftermarket,  heck even the  running bulbs I got from the dealership,.....well see the pic ,  it's some what contradicting the call print

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:08:18 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »

Failures were quite common with the original design mounts, which were made from good old fashioned rubber.  They were more compliant (softer) than the later urethane version, but like most rubber they would break down over time and exposure to things like ozone, used motor oil dumped on them when changing the wonderfully placed oil filter, etc.  I can't remember exactly when Harley updated the material, but I though it was around 2006.  Personally, I changed my 2005 out and used an aftermarket urethane product.  It is less compliant and transfers a little more vibration to the frame, but it's pretty much resistant to chemical attack.

I'm going to beat a dead horse again, so this is fair warning to those who don't appreciate my comments.  Like many of the other parts on my and other Harley's that require replacement way too often, I find I don't have that same issue with the automotive products I've owned going back to the 60's.  Never once have I had to change a motor mount on any of my four wheeled vehicles.  And the oldest ones used materials not much different than what Harley used. 

Jerry

Why do you suppose that is that motorbike parts seem to be inferior compared to four wheel vehicles. The cost of these bikes one could get a nice vehicle that you would not have to change all sorts of components  to insure a more reliable runner .

I can only 'recall one or two mounts I've  changed on a vehicle and I've worked on a lot back in my younger day.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »

I'm going to beat a dead horse again, so this is fair warning to those who don't appreciate my comments.  Like many of the other parts on my and other Harley's that require replacement way too often, I find I don't have that same issue with the automotive products I've owned going back to the 60's. Never once have I had to change a motor mount on any of my four wheeled vehicles.  And the oldest ones used materials not much different than what Harley used. 

Jerry

I did see a few Jerry.  But not many.  I was in a gas station or garage just about every day from 1971 to early 1983.  While seeing a broken mount wasn't common it was a task that happened.  Can remember several times lifting an engine to have part of the mount stay with the car too.  The solid rubber mounts on a steel back plate that were used on big block Chevrolet were the most common I remember seeing broken.  A lot on small blocks also.  Some of the manufacturers then had mounts made in such a way that a steel enclosure around the rubber isolate eliminated some flex and would rarely see them fail.  Back when we were all pups though then "modern" (i.e., the standards of 40-80 years ago)mounts were very comparable to what Harley uses today and today's Harley mounts fail perhaps even slightly more often than did the mounts on very large engines then.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »

Jerry does not remember the Recall on 67-68 Chevrolet V-8's. At my first job then and I was tasked with installing the 5/16 Steel braided cable that bolted to front of the left cylinder head and the frame where you attached a small U shaped bracket. This prevented the engine from twisting to far and breaking the left side motor mount. Later mounts had a built in "Hook" that caught a metal extension that did the same job. Recently saw a restored 68 Impala SS 427 that had this recall, and I remember installing it on that car.
Without this retaining cable if the mount broke under wide open acceleration, the gas pedal would/could stay on the floor. This I experienced in my dads new 68 Caprice 396 while doing brake torque burn-out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »

Jerry does not remember the Recall on 67-68 Chevrolet V-8's. At my first job then and I was tasked with installing the 5/16 Steel braided cable that bolted to front of the left cylinder head and the frame where you attached a small U shaped bracket. This prevented the engine from twisting to far and breaking the left side motor mount. Later mounts had a built in "Hook" that caught a metal extension that did the same job. Recently saw a restored 68 Impala SS 427 that had this recall, and I remember installing it on that car.
Without this retaining cable if the mount broke under wide open acceleration, the gas pedal would/could stay on the floor. This I experienced in my dads new 68 Caprice 396 while doing brake torque burn-out.

I'd forgotten about that.  Saw a buttload of those.  The local Chevy dealer was selling those kits over the counter by the time I was working in the Texaco station.  Any big block Chevy passenger car or El Camino we saw without it tried to sell it to.  Car up on the lift, but not all the way up, because if it was I couldn't reach it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »

Nope, didn't forget that one, I just said I never had the problem on any of the vehicles I've owned.  Other than the third hand VW Bug I drove in college, all the rest of my four wheeled vehicles have been Fords. ;D   

Jerry ;)

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 04:23:34 AM »

I was wondering is there a right way round for these new mounts .
The mount that I got isn't quite the same as what came out, the one that came out has a plate on the one end that was up to the motor.
The new has no plate I figured it's a new design. In the pic is this end up to motor or bown?  I don't  think it matters but not sure

In the first pic you can see that mount has a metal plate bonded to the rubber  that was to the motor
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:28:18 AM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »

Yes see service bulletin M-1182.  Flat, anvil-taper side is up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »

See attachment.  The bulletin was written for the change from the B level part to the C level part.  I don't remember why they went to the D revision, but it wasn't very long after the C revision came out.

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »

It was the new style I took out .
The old style is the only kind that was coming up on my searching. 
I looked on eBay putting in my bike details  so I got got the one that was shown. I had not pulled out the old one so I didn't realise it was the old style according to the Bulletin.
The new style that's shown doesn't come up at all on the search I was surprised it was different but it stated fits all touring models so I thought it was an upgrade because there was no other mount showing

Well I just got off the blower with HD parts and order up the C revision mount but at double the cost

BTW.      I did put the old style "B" in the correct way round.      Thanks guys,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:09:18 AM by longlast »

ultrarider123

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »

It was the new style I took out .
The old style is the only kind that was coming up on my searching. 
I looked on eBay putting in my bike details  so I got got the one that was shown. I had not pulled out the old one so I didn't realise it was the old style according to the Bulletin.
The new style that's shown doesn't come up at all on the search I was surprised it was different but it stated fits all touring models so I thought it was an upgrade because there was no other mount showing

Well I just got off the blower with HD parts and order up the C revision mount but at double the cost

....and still made in China I bet, Pete.....

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »

Hahaha!!,  no doubt Howard

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »

Note that the "D" revision is the latest.  IIRC it is a bit more stiff (harder rubber durometer?) than "C" but is also more resistant to tearing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »

There shouldn't be any "B" or "C" level parts in inventory, Harley had dealers return all the old parts when they released the new ones due to all the failures they were experiencing.  Not a true recall, but dealers were supposed to purge their old inventory.  The "D" level part looks like the "C" part, the difference being a change in the material.

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »

There shouldn't be any "B" or "C" level parts in inventory, Harley had dealers return all the old parts when they released the new ones due to all the failures they were experiencing.  Not a true recall, but dealers were supposed to purge their old inventory.  The "D" level part looks like the "C" part, the difference being a change in the material.

Jerry

Cheers Jerry,

I'll check with HD  tomorrow  that it is the D version.  I thought he said "C" but he may have said "D"  I would assume it's the same part # 16207-79 but ending with "D"

Does the "D" type have the the steel plate?  Or dose it look like the "B" type?  If so that's what I've already got one that looks like  "B" in the Bulletin

It states,

Item description
Replaces Harley OEM #16207-79B. Front motor mount. Super Glide 1st Edition FXR2 : 1999. Super Glide Low Rider Anniversary FXRS : 1988. Touring Electra Glide Classic FLHTC : 1983–2005, 2007–2008. Super Glide II FXRS : 1982–1985.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=391836622663&t=1510287558000&tid=10&category=177980&seller=orangecycle1&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=100&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.co.uk&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:28:13 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »

Picked up the new motor mount today it was a good run the HD dealership too break in my new compensator,..but that's another thread.

You hit the nail on the head  Howard  ;D

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »

The motor mount is in all's  running smoothly again   :apple: :orange: :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »

The motor mount is in all's  running smoothly again   :apple: :orange: :bananarock:

Do you have to turn the motor mount 180 degrees around to run on the left side of the road :nixweiss: ?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »

Do you have to turn the motor mount 180 degrees around to run on the left side of the road :nixweiss: ?

No mate ,  don't have to worry about it.  I've got the international motor mount it allows me to ride on ether side of the road in case I go over to Europe   :huepfenlol2: :drink:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »

:oops: He got ya Don :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »

:oops: He got ya Don :huepfenlol2:

Oh chit Rooster, that international mount needs different tail lights though  ??? !

(yeap, nailed by the Crown  :huepfenlol2: )
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 21 queries.