Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: '15 RGU Decel Wobble @ 40-35 mph.  (Read 9817 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
'15 RGU Decel Wobble @ 40-35 mph.
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:30:33 AM »

The title says it all.  I am NOT one to recommend riding without your hands on the bars. Tonight, however, as I left my Father's house for home, I realized I hadn't zipped down one of my jacket sleeves.  As I did so, letting the bike decelerate from about 45 mph,  the front end began to shake violently; enough to make me think the bike could go down.  Of course, it stopped as soon as I grabbed the bars.  I didn't want to believe it really happened with the new  bike. So, I tested it again, twice. Sure enough, it did:  Violent shaking starting at 40 mph down to 36 or 35.

I'm guessing it's the steering head bearings as on the '09s.  Looks like another warranty issue.   :nixweiss:  Any other ideas?   Thanks in advance.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
Re: '15 RGU Decel Wobble @ 40-35 mph.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »

It did that on my '11 FLTRUSE. It was the fall away swing. Should be 1-1.5. It was set at three.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »

My CUSE5 did that and I found the front tire pressure low. a bit of air and it's fixed.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »

The title says it all.  I am NOT one to recommend riding without your hands on the bars. Tonight, however, as I left my Father's house for home, I realized I hadn't zipped down one of my jacket sleeves.  As I did so, letting the bike decelerate from about 45 mph,  the front end began to shake violently; enough to make me think the bike could go down.  Of course, it stopped as soon as I grabbed the bars.  I didn't want to believe it really happened with the new  bike. So, I tested it again, twice. Sure enough, it did:  Violent shaking starting at 40 mph down to 36 or 35.

I'm guessing it's the steering head bearings as on the '09s.  Looks like another warranty issue.   :nixweiss:  Any other ideas?   Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you nailed it on the head, but it seemed to happen early. You can't have that many miles yet?

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

Sounds like you nailed it on the head, but it seemed to happen early. You can't have that many miles yet?
5,500 miles on the bike. I just did the 5,000 mile service and checked tire pressure but maybe I should do it again. Interesting that it only happens at 40 miles an hour...

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »

Yep, thats what my 09 RG did. Just between 35-40 mph. Kinda wierd, but thats what it was... good luck...

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »

Greg, Think I recall FLSTFI Dave mentioning he had to have his steering bearing adjusted on his new RGU.  Maybe if he is on-shore he'll jump in here with input.  I have not fully tested mine like you describe but everytime I've taken both hands off the bars its stayed exactly as pointed.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »

Yep, a batwing fairing bike will handle much better in those conditions.  :huepfenlol2:

Just funning with you Greg.  I hope you get the issue straightened out soon.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

If the steering head bearing preload is set correctly at the assembly plant, and the lock nut secured properly, it shouldn't lose adjustment in 5k miles.  Odds are they still have the same problem they've had since 2009, not setting the bearing preload properly during assembly.  I think it would be a good idea to have the dealer check and reset the bearing preload.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »

My 13 did the same thing at the same speed, as you said head bearing TQ.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

If the steering head bearing preload is set correctly at the assembly plant, and the lock nut secured properly, it shouldn't lose adjustment in 5k miles.  Odds are they still have the same problem they've had since 2009, not setting the bearing preload properly during assembly.  I think it would be a good idea to have the dealer check and reset the bearing preload.

Jerry

As I indicated above, that's probably the issue.  Another visit to the dealer....   :nervous: 

Sawyer Brown

cc.canada

• Canada
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue & Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2 Candy Cobalt with Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »

If any of you every go to the two factories tours. you will see the quick test that harley does once the bikes are built ,they have zero time or way to check the fall away its up to the dealers to check and most do adjust it but others do not cause its not a warranty pay they can claim for

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »

If any of you every go to the two factories tours. you will see the quick test that harley does once the bikes are built ,they have zero time or way to check the fall away its up to the dealers to check and most do adjust it but others do not cause its not a warranty pay they can claim for

The fall away test, or the newest version called the swing back method for 2014 and later Touring models, isn't something that was meant to be checked in production.  They are strictly the cheapest and fastest way Harley could come up with for dealers to approximate checking the bearing preload.  They aren't very accurate btw.  In production you have to rely on the torque readings when assembling the steering head.  Harley has always seemed to have a problem with controlling the process in production.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Yep, a batwing fairing bike will handle much better in those conditions.  :huepfenlol2:

Just funning with you Greg.  I hope you get the issue straightened out soon.  :2vrolijk_21:

You guys know that I ride both the Bat & Shark, and both are pretty much dialed in...

The Shark is skittish (it's not flopping, but it's unnerving enough to me that I don't like to take both hands off the bars) in the 40 mph decel zone, whereas the Bat is much more stable (in the same scenario).
If I need to zip my jacket (Shark) I accelerate to 60...

Greg, if you come up with a fix that completely eliminates that trait, be sure to let us know...

Was it completely eliminated on your '09?     
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:11:58 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »

You guys know that I ride both the Bat & Shark, and both are pretty much dialed in...

The Shark is skittish (it's not flopping, but it's unnerving enough to me that I don't like to take both hands off the bars) in the 40 mph decel zone, whereas the Bat is much more stable (in the same scenario).
If I need to zip my jacket (Shark) I accelerate to 60...

Greg, if you come up with a fix that completely eliminates that trait, be sure to let us know...

Was it completely eliminated on your '09?     
same with mine, its adjusted to less than one swing and on the rite road conditions it will still do a lill shake if it wants, at any other speed above or below 42 mph its perfect. ive learned to look at the speedo before i take my hands off the bars. but a FIX would be nice  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.