Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wind buffeting on CVO RoadGlide  (Read 8057 times)

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
Wind buffeting on CVO RoadGlide
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:18:03 AM »

I recently test rode a 2015 CVO RoadGlide. I went for an hour long ride on the freeway and some back roads near where I live. I have a 2012 SESG and noticed much less wind around my head area. When I returned with the RoadGlide my ears were ringing and I felt that the wind protection was much better on the StreeGlide. I played around with different upper and lower vent combos but to couldn't get it to where it was comfortable.  It had the stock windshield on it.

The RoadGlide is a fantastic performer but the wind problem is holding me back. Does anyone have input on this please ?

Thank you,
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
Re: Wind buffeting on CVO RoadGlide
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »

Are you by chance a taller rider.  I'm 6'2" and had to go with a recurve windshield to get the wind above my ears and face.  IMO the stock windshield does not work well for folks above about 6'.  Also the vent directs the air right at my head instead of over me so they are little help other than the air is a bit smoother with them open.  This bike really shows what folks say HD designs their bikes for about a 5'9" person.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »

I second what TNCarters said. I'm a skosh over 6'2' and for me the stock shield was fine up to about 55 mph, pretty much everywhere but the highway around here. Faster than that it kind of beats my face a bit, not horrible but not what I'd want to endure on a $40K motorcycle for any length of time. A 15" recurve windshield makes it perfect for me, the bulk of the air goes over eye level and I get just a gentle breeze with the vents open, less of course with them shut.

The bottom line is I've never ridden a Harley that a windshield mod of some sort wouldn't make it pleasant, there are a LOT of options out there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:00:09 AM by ACfixer »
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »

+3 to what Ron and Lance have said.
Take a good hard look at the RGU windshield profile (see my signature pic below).
It looks like it was made to swoosh air right into your "space" (unless you're about 5'10" high or less!).  Some would disagree, and that's fine, but I think the OEM shield is not good at 55 or more.
IMO, it was made to be replaced.  And there we're in luck, because there are so many good options to choose from.
I had a WindVest on my '11 RGU, and they make good shields, but I liked the customer service way better with John at Freedom shields and I think the product is slightly better also.  I have a 15" from them (recurve) that forms a wonderful air pocket at 55 or more, and the vents on the RGU provide a nice gently breeze that cools me when I need it!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

I recently test rode a 2015 CVO RoadGlide. I went for an hour long ride on the freeway and some back roads near where I live. I have a 2012 SESG and noticed much less wind around my head area. When I returned with the RoadGlide my ears were ringing and I felt that the wind protection was much better on the StreeGlide. I played around with different upper and lower vent combos but to couldn't get it to where it was comfortable.  It had the stock windshield on it.

The RoadGlide is a fantastic performer but the wind problem is holding me back. Does anyone have input on this please ?

Thank you,

The wind buffeting on the RGs has always been an issue for "The Ball & Chain" and I, after adding the Crash Bar Flaps, Lower Triple Tree Deflector, and Vented Lowers, (all stock pieces on the '15 CVORGU except the LTTD) to the '09 SERG the wind management, with / without a helmet, (for me) is the best of any Harley I have ever ridden, the BSR still prefers the wind management of the '05 SEEG Batwing over the RG. After we rode Major Tom's '15 CVORGU  :2vrolijk_21: she commented that the wind on it was better than the '09, but still not as good as the Bat... I'm 6'4"
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »

5'11" and my 15 RG has less wind and buffeting than any bike I ever rode, with stock windshield. I once road a GW that had a windshield as big as a barn door that was more still but I would not have used that thing do to looks.
I am very happy with the aero on mine, saw above where someone tried adjusting the vents to change air-flow, mine have been wide open all along, unless it gets below 55 degrees.

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »

I agree with CvoDon. I am 5 11" also and the stock shield worked good for me at any speed but didn't like the looks of it. I put on a Klock Werks 14 sport touring and love it. Had my bike to 120 for a fair amount of time and it's by far way better than my previous bat with the  buffeting at any speed .

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »

Stock at 6'1" this was the best stock bike I had ever rode, least amount of buffeting.

With the stock shield and stock seat I had a little buffeting but not bad at all.

I knew I would be running a Corbin Solo on the bike.  So when my wife got her 14" Klock Sport, I put it on my bike with the Corbin solo.  Buffeting was a bit less than stock up to 90 mph.  So I ordered my own Klock Sport 14.  I have close to 20K miles on this set up.

I do not believe the Klock sport would work for me, with the stock seat, as its about 2" taller than my corbin solo.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

I agree completely with the last 3 responses.  This bike - even with the stock windshield - has less buffeting than I've ever experienced on a bagger.  And it's amazingly less now with my 15" Freedom shield attached.
And as a further aside, I removed the two small wind deflectors on either side of the fairing by my knees right after I bought the bike, and I still like what I'm (not) feeling!  I'll put those deflectors back on for cold weather riding, I suppose.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

sneezy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »

To get less buffeting I think I would have to be riding in a cage. Its great.

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 02:28:49 AM »

Thank you all very much for your great responses. I am 6 feet tall and am going to go ride the bike again with my wife on the back. We will try one of the taller demo windshields also. This RG purchase depends on how she feels about the wind. I really love the RG and hope I can find what works for the wind issue. Will report back the outcome.

Thanks

p_borkowski

• NC

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE in Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:09 AM »

If you are getting the bike from the dealer or a friend make sure that both of the deflectors that attach to the crash bar are installed. Makes a huge difference. Dealer didn't install mine they were laying in the bottom of a saddle bag when I purchased my '15.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »

I'm about 5' 9" and with the stock shield it's fabulous! The wind is very smooth around my head, very little buffeting at any speed. Only issue I have is at night it seems to funnel the bugs right in my face, so closing the vents is mandatory!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

cptdenny

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »

I asked my dealer to replace the stock windshield (14") with the HD taller one (19") since it had a small scratch on the original CVO windshield.
It's an improvement in buffering but it does have a 1/2" distortion at top running the full width. I added a automotive windshield edging to hide that distortion.

I prefer the added facial & eye protection of looking through a windshield and not over one.
Since I'm already getting pitting from road debris, I'll be looking at the tallest Freedom Shield next to replace the HD one.
2015 FLTRUSE

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »

I have the 14" Freedom windshield and just wanted to mention you may not need as tall a Freedom as the stock due to the recurve at the top.  It will push the wind an extra 2-3 inches higher than the top of the windshield.  I may eventually go higher for trips as I still get a good bit of wind noise on the interstate and looking 2-3 inches over I occasionally get a large bug or road debris gets over it and nails me in the face.  The buffetting is fine with the 14 inch.  Also I guess you are aware they have clear and 3 shades of tinting available and offer a forum discount of 15% with the coupon code "CVO".
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

911Shark

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »

All I can say as a 5'8" rider, the RG CVO is a perfect fit with absolutely no wind buffeting. Zero. Caveat: I have the Klok Works 14" windshield. Just finished a 4,500 mile ride through all kinds of weather, rain, hail, etc, like butter!

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »

OP were the fairing vents open during your test ride? When my vents are closed the buffeting problem seems to be much worse than when they are open.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

I am 6' tall and the stock RG windshield was not good for highway riding.... thunder in my ears. Replaced with a Madstad shield and it's perfect in every way
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »

OP were the fairing vents open during your test ride? When my vents are closed the buffeting problem seems to be much worse than when they are open.

I tried every combination of vents with no luck. I ended up buying a 2015 FLHTKSE in Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate.

I want to thank you all for your comments and guidance in this post. This is a great group of people here.

Ride safe and enjoy !
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.