Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's using what to improve headlamps?  (Read 1932 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Who's using what to improve headlamps?
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »

I want to improve stock headlamps. I am looking for brighter and whiter. What have you tried, and how is it working? I've looked at previous posts, just trying to get good info for Road Glide headlamps.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Who's using what to improve headlamps?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

There are numerous threads about the HID and LED headlights.  Use the search function and you will see them.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »

Seen most of the previous threads, just trying to see what riders think after they have lived with their upgrade, does it work as well as hoped, is the upgrade/change lasting. etc...
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »

I have the xtralights HID headlights (4300) in both bikes and have had them for quite a few years now.  I would never ride at night with a regular headlight anymore.  They are that good.  Wide, flat pattern lets you see what is off to the side of the road as well (deer, elk, etc).
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »

Someone still rides at night with regular headlights???????   :nervous:   :nervous:

Seriously,  HID's are definitely the way to go for the Road Glide.  Have not yet seen any LED lamps offered.  I have used The Xenonlink 6000 for two years plus.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:  Don't leave home without them.  At least not at night. 

BTW, while LED's draw less current, they do not seem to produce more light than HID's and cost about three times more...  five times if you buy the Harley brand. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

I have the xtralights HID headlights (4300) in both bikes and have had them for quite a few years now.  I would never ride at night with a regular headlight anymore.  They are that good.  Wide, flat pattern lets you see what is off to the side of the road as well (deer, elk, etc).

Ernie was the guiena pig......most of the Nor Cal members followed suit.  I had it on my SEEG and now my SESG.....the first mod that I had Jim do to it.  At 60 yrs. old, don't think I'd feel very confident riding at night with a regular headlight anymore.  You get spoiled to the HID.

It's a much brighter, whiter, cleaner light but the wide pattern is what really does it for me....doesn't feel like I'm in a perpetual tunnel at night.  And no, surprisingly, I've never had an on coming car flash their lights at me to dim mine.  With the Nor Cal group there will be ten or twelve of us riding in a group that have the HIDs and that's never been an issue. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »

Ernie was the guiena pig......most of the Nor Cal members followed suit.  I had it on my SEEG and now my SESG.....the first mod that I had Jim do to it.  At 60 yrs. old, don't think I'd feel very confident riding at night with a regular headlight anymore.  You get spoiled to the HID.

It's a much brighter, whiter, cleaner light but the wide pattern is what really does it for me....doesn't feel like I'm in a perpetual tunnel at night.  And no, surprisingly, I've never had an on coming car flash their lights at me to dim mine.  With the Nor Cal group there will be ten or twelve of us riding in a group that have the HIDs and that's never been an issue. :2vrolijk_21:

You know that I couldn't let this go by... :D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »

I am probably in the minority here but for me at least the stock headlights on my 2011 RUSE seem perfectly adequate.  I rode this bike last Oct on an Iron Butt and about 9 or 10 hours of the ride was at night and on some very dark roads.  I was assuming that I would want to change the stock lights out but after that ride I decided not to.

Now my '07 cuse, well that is a different story.  The stock headlights were pitiful and that is being charitable.  At night I simply could not see worth a chit!  Like many others I bought the Xtralites from Jim in early 2007 and saw a huge improvement.

Just my opinion but I don't think I'll make the upgrade on my RUSE.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FltruseDave

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »

I put the silvania ultrabright the gold tipped ones. They worked better than the factory ones. Also thinking of switching to the 55 watt bulbs on the motolight's.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.