Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wild One 575s  (Read 3739 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Wild One 575s
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »

I have the 575s on my 07 ultra and really like them.  But my concern about putting them on my RUSE is their width both overall and the center width.  Wild One recommends their 517 bar for the RGs as it is 3.5" narrower overall and 4" narrower in the center width.  But I have heard several folks who do not like the 517s (several who do also).

If anyone has put the 575s on their RG I would appreciate some photos and your opinion of how they look on the RG.  Ditto on the 517s.

TIA.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

robertg

• Full CVO Member
Re: Wild One 575s
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »

The bars that are made for the Batwing bikes will fit the Road Glide, but they don't look right. The base is way too wide.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »

The bars that are made for the Batwing bikes will fit the Road Glide, but they don't look right. The base is way too wide.
Exactly.  That is my concern - the center width (before the bar bends) has to be very wide on the batwing faired biked.  I think it would not look good on the RG which has a much narrower console area.

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »

Jerry...what about the stock bars don't you like?  After I rotated mine forward just a bit to get my hand position up a little bit, they fit pretty well for me.  I could stand them to be just a bit further back, but it's not enough to make me uncomfortable.  I know we're about the same height, but I think you're longer legged than me.

The 575's would not look good on the RG, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »

Jerry, these aren't the bars you're asking about, but, here's some photos anyhow. I apologize in advance for my lack of photography skills.

These are the 14" outlaw apes.

It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Another. The bottom of the bars turn up sharply on these bars. Dealer had problems getting the knot for the Zumo around the corner, so he just ran them outside the bars.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »

Jerry;
The 10" apes (WO515) are almost the same bar as the 575 and work well on the Road glide...

The new outlawz bars are also popular for the Roadglide :2vrolijk_21: They have these in 10" (WO610) as well.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »

Jerry...what about the stock bars don't you like?  After I rotated mine forward just a bit to get my hand position up a little bit, they fit pretty well for me.  I could stand them to be just a bit further back, but it's not enough to make me uncomfortable.  I know we're about the same height, but I think you're longer legged than me.

The 575's would not look good on the RG, IMO.
Terry, I feel that I have to reach for the bars.  If I could move my seating position forward that would probably do the trick also.  I have the backrest in th most forward position and I even installed it over the passenger grab rail (vs under the rail as per the instructions) since that also moves the backrest forward.  Compared to my '07 ultra I sit farther back from the bars and seem to have to stretch more than I like.  Plus I really like the look of the fatter bars.  But the main thing is to get them a little farther back.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

Jerry;
The 10" apes (WO515) are almost the same bar as the 575 and work well on the Road glide...

The new outlawz bars are also popular for the Roadglide :2vrolijk_21: They have these in 10" (WO610) as well.
Thanks Jim.  I printed the WO spec sheet.  But it is difficult to relate to without having seen or better yet sat on a bike with them.  I know you don't like the 517s.  Is that because they have too much pullback?

IBA member # 45520

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

Thanks Jim.  I printed the WO spec sheet.  But it is difficult to relate to without having seen or better yet sat on a bike with them.  I know you don't like the 517s.  Is that because they have too much pullback?

Bars are a personal preference thing. My impression of the 517's is that they are like steering a wheel barrel. The wrist angle is way (to me) wrong and requires you to turn your wrists outward.

I have done several Nor-Cal members RG's with the 10" bars and all are very happy with them. I have done a few bikes with the new outlawz and they are becoming more popular. On advantage of the outlawz is the are not as wide as the 10 apes. 32.5" vs. 36"..

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

Terry, I feel that I have to reach for the bars.  If I could move my seating position forward that would probably do the trick also.  I have the backrest in th most forward position and I even installed it over the passenger grab rail (vs under the rail as per the instructions) since that also moves the backrest forward.  Compared to my '07 ultra I sit farther back from the bars and seem to have to stretch more than I like.  Plus I really like the look of the fatter bars.  But the main thing is to get them a little farther back.

That just shows how different people's bodies are.  As I said, if all things were perfect in the universe, I'd have mine back another inch, but I don't get any shoulder pain when riding, and that's the "test" for me.  My neck gets stiff, but that happens no matter what with me.  In fact, I had the backrest in it's most forward position when I first brought the bike home, but ended up moving it back a hole.  Of course, I normally have on either a thick leather jacket that has kidney padding, or my newer Olympia 3/1 jacket that has a 1/2" thick back protector in it...both of those move me forward a bit I suppose. 

I like the look of the fatter bars too.  The 575's have a 13" pullback...the 517's have a 14.5" pullback, but not as much rise, and Jim's description of the wrist position sounds like they would suck...the 515's have the same rise as the 575, but 11.5" of pullback.  Jim...with the 515's are you able to slant them back further to accomodate reach, or would the 12" Outlaws be better with regards to reach because you could angle them back a bit?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »

Jerry;

Thanks Jim.  Yeah, I agree that the width (36") of the 515s would not be appealing to me.  But the 610 10" outlawz have only a 8.5" pullback as compared to the 575s with 13" and the 517s with 14.5" (probably too much).  But will the 8.5" pullback do much to get the bars closer?  Do you know what the pullback on the stock bars is?

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »

Jerry, I've sat on a Road Glide with the 517 bars.  For me it was terrible.  Terrible wrist and elbow position.  One of the most uncomfortable bar/bike/seating positions I've ever sat on a bike.  On my old 2000 RG I used the 10" apes that Jim mentioned above.  They look good; not so tall as to look "ape-y" behind the fairing and because all the fairing and nacelle are there you can tilt them back a bit.  This still looks "right" and really helps the feel.  Will put up images from different angles to illustrate as well as I can.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

Jerry, I've sat on a Road Glide with the 517 bars.  For me it was terrible.  Terrible wrist and elbow position.  One of the most uncomfortable bar/bike/seating positions I've ever sat on a bike.  On my old 2000 RG I used the 10" apes that Jim mentioned above.  They look good; not so tall as to look "ape-y" behind the fairing and because all the fairing and nacelle are there you can tilt them back a bit.  This still looks "right" and really helps the feel.  Will put up images from different angles to illustrate as well as I can.
Thanks Don.  That looks pretty good.  So those are the 515 mini apes?  They are wider that the 575s by 1.5" and the 575s are pretty wide.  Does that present any problem at all?

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »

Thanks Don.  That looks pretty good.  So those are the 515 mini apes?  They are wider that the 575s by 1.5" and the 575s are pretty wide.  Does that present any problem at all?

Yes, they are the 515s.  I've got 515s on the SERG and 575s on the SEEG.  So it's easy to make the comparison.  The width is a small difference.  You feel it.  But it's not much.  My shoulders prefer the 515s over the 575s.  But they like both sets of bars.  So it's a difference between good and just a tiny bit better.

Had one of the locals think he wanted 575s on a Road Glide a couple years ago.  When he tried he didn't care for the look of the bars within the bike.  I wasn't quite as dismissive of the appearance as he was but I preferred the look of the 515s through the nacelle in between the inner fairing also.  Since they feel good in there too it's a win-win.

What are you doing Wednesday next week?  Right now that looks like a good day to ride.  Want to meet in Russellville, annoy Pizza Killer for lunch and try the old SERG for feel to see if you like the bars on a Road Glide in person?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:33:37 AM by Twolanerider »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »

What are you doing Wednesday next week?  Right now that looks like a good day to ride.  Want to meet in Russellville, annoy Pizza Killer for lunch and try the old SERG for feel to see if you like the bars on a Road Glide in person?
Well that looks like a possibility.  Let's see how the weather holds up and decide as we get closer.

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »

Well that looks like a possibility.  Let's see how the weather holds up and decide as we get closer.

That's a plan :2vrolijk_21: .
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.