Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wind deflector for RGU  (Read 7041 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Wind deflector for RGU
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »

Anybody know where I can get that wind deflector that mounts behind forks under fairing. Does it reduce the amount of air the blows up the front of the tank from under the fairing?
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Wind deflector for RGU
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »

And yes, it does work very well. Actually had a leaf blow up from under the fairing yesterday, it blew up against the radio and lodged next to the bottom of the windshield in a reverse spin.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:50:24 PM by King roadglide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »

Thanks guys ... I don't mind that air in the summer, but it would be nice to reduce it this time of year.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »

I put one of the fork air baffles on mine. The same part that came standard on the older model road glides. I think it preforms much better than those whacky plactic gizzmos that came with the Road Glide Ultra.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441845999&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309436528&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309436528&locale=en_US&bmUID=1355414537734&bmLocale=en_US

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

I put one of the fork air baffles on mine. The same part that came standard on the older model road glides. I think it preforms much better than those whacky plactic gizzmos that came with the Road Glide Ultra.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441845999&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309436528&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309436528&locale=en_US&bmUID=1355414537734&bmLocale=en_US

Joel, I have a chrome one on the 01 SERG.
Wanted to put a black one on the 12 SERGC.
Priced one out, OMG, 40 bucks for a black one and the chrome is almost 1/2 as much.
The guy at the parts counter agreed that was stupid.
He said he thought he had an old black one at home he would give me.
Next day he brought it in, I cleaned it up and it's on the 12 SERGC.
There is a way around Mother Harley's greed.

;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Thanks guys ... I got a (metal) chrome one at the stealer yesterday for about 29 bucks & slapped it on for the ride home. Looks great but kinda hard to tell if it really did anything besides that ... oh well, nothing wrong with a little xtra bling, right?

Instead of cutting down on the wind in my face it feels like it did just the opposite. I already had the black plastic ones ( that snap onto crash bar & front tank mount ) & like how they re-directed the air, but it seems the both together didn't do what I expected. Maybe I can try removing the plastic ones to see what happens with just the baffle.

Otherwise I'll have to wait til next spring to warm up or go for the gangsta look with a ski mask.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:58:53 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »

I noticed the difference when I rode my bike home the first time with the deflectors in the saddlebag. With my old FLHTC I was used to the wind movement behind the fairing. With the RG it was tossing my glasses around quite a bit more. Once I put the deflectors in place I had a lot less of that. I think they work.

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Thanks guys ... I got a (metal) chrome one at the stealer yesterday for about 29 bucks & slapped it on for the ride home. Looks great but kinda hard to tell if it really did anything besides that ... oh well, nothing wrong with a little xtra bling, right?

Instead of cutting down on the wind in my face it feels like it did just the opposite. I already had the black plastic ones ( that snap onto crash bar & front tank mount ) & like how they re-directed the air, but it seems the both together didn't do what I expected. Maybe I can try removing the plastic ones to see what happens with just the baffle.

Otherwise I'll have to wait til next spring to warm up or go for the gangsta look with a ski mask.  ;D

Or move to Florida!  :D

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

Sorry to drag this back up, but thought it was the best place for my question.

I have both the chrome and plastic deflectors. I thought I read a threadd somewhere that having both may be counterproductive.

Can anyone attest to that?

Rob

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »

Phantom,
Does the "2011 FLTRU" under you name mean that's the bike you're looking for?  If so, it was a stock item and should have come with the bike.  I'm assuming you're not referring to your SEEG.  See the link Jerry posted:

"FLTR Wind Deflector Kit
Easy-to-install, these snap-fit Wind Deflectors reduce and redirect the air flow that rises between the fairing and fork tubes. The resulting reduction in updraft can dramatically reduce buffeting for many riders. Stock on '11 CVO™ Road Glide®. "

If so, I'd get your money back....   ;)

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »

Sorry to drag this back up, but thought it was the best place for my question.

I have both the chrome and plastic deflectors. I thought I read a threadd somewhere that having both may be counterproductive.

Can anyone attest to that?

Rob

Rob,

I have both the (stock) black fork deflector, and the engine guards plastic wind deflectors.

I truly have notice a difference with them both on and I will be keeping them on forever!

JMHO, others may very.

Good Luck,

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

Rob,

I have both the (stock) black fork deflector, and the engine guards plastic wind deflectors.

I truly have notice a difference with them both on and I will be keeping them on forever!

JMHO, others may very.

Good Luck,

YB

Anyone put the lower defector that fits between the forks on a RG custom? I expect that on the Ultra with lowers that it would help force the air that travels between the lowers down. But will it make much of a difference without the lowers?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

Rob,

JMHO, others may very.

I agree with Yellow Bird.
The '09 SERG had a dog dish on it when I bought it last June, installed the flaps last November and they made a significant improvement in aero management.

Will let y'all know how the lowers work when Gunslingers gets off of their a$$ and paints them and the speaker surrounds.

'Am also changing to the '10 - '13 fairing brackets to accommodate the vented lowers.

Does any body know what effect, if any, repositioning the fairing has on aero??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

Ran a test this past weekend. KEEP IN MIND MY LOWERS ARE REMOVED.

Since I have the chrome fork deflector installed and it is harder to remove, I removed the stock black plastic wind deflectors and my wife and I went for a ride.

I didn't notice a huge difference but after riding for about 50 miles I asked her about the wind. Was it better, worse or the same? She said it must be better if she hadn't noticed. Left them off for the next 50 and she thought the buffeting/wind hassle was indeed less.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.