Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Steeet Glide Flush Mount Gas Cap Issue  (Read 2982 times)

Coasty73

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

2012 Steeet Glide Flush Mount Gas Cap Issue
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »

Recently had issues with gas leaking/steaming out of flush mount gas cap after filling up. Discovered that the issue was due to over tightening the cap. Apparently, this causes the rubber ring near the top of the cap to get pinched and gas can leak out. Thought I'd pass this tip along in the event any others are having similar issue.

Instead of tightening the cap to the absolute stopping point, only tighten to the point where you feel increased resistance while turning the cap. This will properly seat the rubber seal at the top of the cap.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: 2012 Steeet Glide Flush Mount Gas Cap Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »

Thanks

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:22 AM »

Recently had issues with gas leaking/steaming out of flush mount gas cap after filling up. Discovered that the issue was due to over tightening the cap. Apparently, this causes the rubber ring near the top of the cap to get pinched and gas can leak out. Thought I'd pass this tip along in the event any others are having similar issue.

Instead of tightening the cap to the absolute stopping point, only tighten to the point where you feel increased resistance while turning the cap. This will properly seat the rubber seal at the top of the cap.

While that may have fixed your particular problem, many others have had the same leaking issue caused by defective caps or filler neck threads that are too tight and keep the cap from screwing in far enough to seat that seal to the filler neck.  So I guess anyone with the leaking issue will need to now be aware of three possibilities, not just two.  Hard to imagine why it's so hard to get a leakproof seal on Harley's caps, especially when you realize this is not only an emissions defect but in the case of a motorcycle a safety defect.  There have been recalls, btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »

Yeah I had mine go bad.  Got to the gas station and it would not pop up and I was on fumes.  Thank god for a pocket knife.  They replaced it under warranty.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:39:55 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »

I got caught in the rain once and then it got real cold at night. The next day went to fill up and removed the cap. When I was done filling up it would not go down flush to lock. Went into the washroom at the station and put the cap under hot water for a bit till it melted the ice trapped inside the cap. Still have the same cap.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »

Well the replacement unit has now failed may have worked for several months.  I have always been careful not to overtighten.  Well I filled up today and the cap would not seat all the way.  As soon as I got on the road it started blowing gas back on me and the tank.  I went to the dealer and filed a claim the say it is not covered by warranty anymore just ESP WITH a $50 deductible. 

V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »

I got caught in the rain once and then it got real cold at night. The next day went to fill up and removed the cap. When I was done filling up it would not go down flush to lock. Went into the washroom at the station and put the cap under hot water for a bit till it melted the ice trapped inside the cap. Still have the same cap.

That's a good Idea

MACHD13

• 2013 CVO ROAD GLIDE
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »

Been having the same problem on my Road Glide, also have a problem with the miles to empty and low gas light coming on with still more than a half of tank of gas left, could it be the sending or as harley calls it sendor unit in the tank be bad.   Once you fill it up, the miles to empty will start off in the 200's and will work its way down to 50 and gas light comes on, it just started happening.
Vance and Hines Power Duals--High Out Put Mufflers
SERT
Mustang Solo Seat With Riders Back Rest

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.