CVO Technical > Drive Train

First 1000 Mile Service

(1/3) > >>

charles05663:
Hello Everyone,

I am about to have my first 1000 mile service for my SERG.  After reading a gazillion posts on oils I have decided that Syn3 is not the way to go.  I am heavily leaning toward the Amsoil product line.  But, I am not sure what to use where.  I not convinced that using the same oil in all three holes is the best approach.  The simplicity argument is lame at best and I would think it takes a real idiot to mess it up and put the wrong oil in the wrong hole.

I live in Vermont and expect to drive most until early November.

Amsoil 20w50 for the engine
Amsoil 75w110 (SVT)  for the transmission
Amsoil (??) for the primary

I also would consider Redline too.

Update --
I am going to have the dealer do the work.  I check with the stealer I bought the bike from and they wanted $400.  Found a dealer the same distance way and if I supply my own oil it will be $180.  Guess where i am going.

On another note, I have purchased all of the service manuals.  How hard is it to do the services myself?  The service manual does not mention 2500 mile services and the dealers do.  What do you change your oil at?

Charles

DICKW:
Your 2500 interval is for fluids only. As far as how hard the services are....... I would probably say is you have the tools and the time, not too hard.
I have a Life time service plan which suits me fine.

HDDOCFL:
Read the service manuals and see if you will be comfortable doing it, not hard at all with the right tools to do it with.  Doc

DW6019:
There are no 2500 mile service, this is something the dealers do for profit, READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. It has the suggested service and miles that service is suggested to be done. You probably just forgot what the manual said, because even if you have been riding for 45 years you still read that manual first thing when you get home with new bike, car, boat or whatever. That way when dealer tells you about the req 2500 mile service you can laugh at him.

DICKW:
That is a true statement, there is no 2500 scheduled service.

I have it done only because it is part of a plan, it is not a requirement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version