Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Power Locks: Heat Issue??  (Read 1028 times)

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
2015 Power Locks: Heat Issue??
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »

Has anyone else had their power locks not work in very hot weather??
I stopped yesterday to buy a cold drink and the locks would not work.  The remote was in my pocket so it too was very hot .  The temp was 104F.  At home, sitting in a cool garage, they worked fine.  The batteries are less than 6 months old. 
Bob

LilysBigDaddy

• Full CVO Member
  • Annabelle
    • NC

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited "Annabelle"
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2 Dyna 105th Anniversary "The Beast" 129 HP / 129 Torque
Re: 2015 Power Locks: Heat Issue??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »

I have a 14 and have had both transmitter a receiver replaced but very intermittent function cold or hot i know of others as well i think this is a wire harness and or termination issue Harley just can't get right, no help here but your not alone on this, i have the manual but this has not made to the top of my list yet.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

May you have a Great and Godly Day!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »

Has anyone else had their power locks not work in very hot weather??
I stopped yesterday to buy a cold drink and the locks would not work.  The remote was in my pocket so it too was very hot .  The temp was 104F.  At home, sitting in a cool garage, they worked fine.  The batteries are less than 6 months old. 
Bob

If you want to try to isolate which part of the system is creating the problem, try leaving the bike in the garage and heating the fob up to 100°F - 120°F in an oven (need to let it heat soak for awhile to get all the internal parts up to temperature).  If the locks don't work with the fob heated up and the bike in moderate ambient conditions, at least you will have something to talk about with the fine folks at Harley.  I'm guessing they would come back with something like "that's normal", but for some strange reason I've never had a similar problem with the hundreds of car remote locking systems I've used over the years in very hot conditions.

I'm pretty sure the vendor for the Harley system didn't go to the trouble to invent a unique type of fob just for Harley, but just modified an existing system from the auto industry.  Since high temps don't seem to be a problem for the many millions of remote locking fobs used in the auto industry, I'm guessing the problem lies with the components on the bike (receiver, wiring, actuators).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »

Try the buttons on the dash. If they work and the key fob doesn't that may be your answer.

If neither works it could be the locks themselves.

I have had mine apart and they are a very simple setup. It is just an actuator and a cable.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
Yesterday it was 97F so I sat both remotes out in the sun on a black oil bucket.  My infra red thermometer said 112F after only 15 minutes but left them in the sun for over an hour.  Took both remotes into the garage and they both worked perfectly, so I don't think the remotes are the issue.  I also rode the bike 85 miles in the 97F temps and everything was working fine.  Must be an issue with the bike at higher temps.  I'll get the books out and trace/check all the connections and see if I find anything. 
The first time this happened the bike was still under warranty and Harley replaced the batteries in both fobs and it seemed to work fine but we haven't had these high temps till this summer.  I did replace the batts this last winter just because they were over a year old.
Didn't think about using the dash buttons.  I'll try that if it acts up again. 
I'll let everyone know if I find anything.
Bob 

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »

Well it's almost a year before the power lock system screwed up again!  Last summer, after they started working again, I never checked anything.  Yesterday they quit when the ambient was 92 degrees.  I was on a little ride of about 400 miles and they didn't work for about 340 miles of that, or about 7 hours.  After I got home I check the batteries in the fob and it was at 3.265 volts.  Just for grins a new battery tested 3.301.  I put in the new battery and it still didn't work.  Pulled the fairing and unplugged the module and replugged.  No luck.  Pins looked good.  Didn't see anything loose etc.  Put the fairing back on so I can take it to the dealer next week.  Went back out to the garage about 3 hours later and now they work just fine.  I know it's not the remotes, since one remote was hanging in the garage and it didn't work either when I got home.  Note that the locks wouldn't work even from the dash switch.
I have an ESP but it won't pay for diagnostics if the dealer doesn't find anything wrong.
Anybody have any ideas on what to check?
Thanks

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.