Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cost of install for ape hangers  (Read 8853 times)

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Cost of install for ape hangers
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:27:13 AM »

I am thinking about installing 12” ape hangers on my 2016 cvo limited. What am I looking at price wise for the install?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Cost of install for ape hangers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »

You'll get varying prices due different labor rates around the country of which members will respond. Another thing that may make a difference is if the installing shop says you need longer clutch and brake lines. Some people will say you don't need them for that little bit of increase in height and others will.  I can't speak for the batwing guys about the cables as my last two bikes have been sharks. You may want to nose around and see if there's a reputable indy shop in your area also. Labor rates may be real close to HD but they have a tendency to charge only the hours it takes as opposed to flat rate hours from what I've gathered.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »

My dealer charged me 3 hours labor at 90.00 per hour on my CVO streetglide The fairing has to come off, along with some items on the upper portion of the forks...In addition, my heated grips had to be wired..They had loosened about a month after, but the dealer fixed it ....MGS , spent about 16 hours on some cheap 16 inch meat hooks...I was in for a rear tire and saw bow labor intensive the wireing was to pull through on cheap bars...The wires kept snagging...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »

The dealer had told me about 1400 quags including the bars to have mine done. I saw the YouTube video of manipulating the clutch and brake lines. Normally, I would do it myself but cringe at taking the wires out of the connectors and reattaching. The dealer said every bit of 8 hours labor.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

The dealer had told me about 1400 quags including the bars to have mine done. I saw the YouTube video of manipulating the clutch and brake lines. Normally, I would do it myself but cringe at taking the wires out of the connectors and reattaching. The dealer said every bit of 8 hours labor.

I am certainly not an experienced qualified mechanic - just a guy with a garage, some appropriate tools, service manuals, curiosity, the desire to save money and willing to take a plunge - a small plunge.

I did help a buddy swap bars on his 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra a few years ago and did learn from that. Watching the videos I found was very helpful also. And the newer Rushmore bikes with the canbus electrical system are much easier to swap bars on - less wires, smaller plugs, did not have to de-pin anything.

I did it in about 4 hours spread out over a couple days and I was working very slowly and consulting the service manual and notes I made from watching the videos.

Not saying anyone should attempt this if they are not comfortable doing it. I just hate to see dealers taking such advantage and overcharging.

Disclosure added: My bar swap did not involve extending the hydraulic lines for clutch or front brake. Some bars will require longer lines and obviously some additional labor charge. Don't know but I would think a couple hours labor would be about what that would take.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »

2-3 hours if clutch and brake cables do not need to be replaced, about 5-6 hours if they do.

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.