Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big City Thunder Baffles?  (Read 16942 times)

bigbzhd

Big City Thunder Baffles?
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »

Has anyone installed any Big City Thunder Monster Baffles in the head pipe on their CVO?
http://bigcitythunder.com/pages/soundperformance.html

I have a 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 Two-tone Scarlet Red Pearl / Dark Crimson Bike...

Has anyone gutted their baffles from the stock exhaust?  I am looking for a louder monster sound without robbing the bank.

I really don't want to loose any HP and Torque...

Any suggestions?

-Big B

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: Big City Thunder Baffles?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:34:08 PM »

Yes sir, I swear by them, I first ran them on a 04 Low rider with V&H Big Radius (88 ci) i now run them in my 07 Screamin Eagle Road King with V&H Big Shots.  Along with the Thunder Monster they now have one called Thunder Monster QC which is not as loud as the TM. If you have been on their website and read the article, he is telling the truth they do all they say they will. Give them a call and talk to Jim.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »

I installed them im my Big Radius late last fall, and just got the first chance to ride a few miles with them. I have to say they are loud! I tested them, stock V&H, without any baffles, and with the BC baffles, and it's very close to running with no baffles.

I will say that while it sounds great during the day bar hopping and such, I think it would get a little rough for a long distant jaunt. And, I'm thinking they are going to cause a real problem trying to slide in the neighborhood at 3:00 AM. I specifically tried to see how quiet I could get it, and my son said he could hear me for blocks away.

As such, I'm actually going to try and look if there's a way to swap them back and forth without removing the shields. If not, I might go back to the stock V&H after a while.

Lastly, if you look at the QC baffles, I'm not sure those could possibly outperform the stock V&H baffles, and would probably be just as loud, so I can't fathom the value?  I know you're talking about the stock pipes, but maybe this will help a little?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bigbzhd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »

Thanks guys so far for the information about your experiences...

Can anyone tell me if the Stock Pipes on the 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 are actually Screaming Eagle Mufflers because they do not have any stamps on them stating they are Screaming Eagle?  If they aren't Screaming Eagle, what are they?
Does anyone know if the baffles in the stock pipe will just unbolt or do I have to take them to a machine shop and have them cut out?  I haven't inspected it well enough to know...

I have looked at all the possibilities and I think I have narrowed my decision, if I go with a new pipe it will probably be the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 or the 2 into 2.  I like the way these both look.  For now until I buy the new pipe, I was thinking I could go a cheaper route and remove the stock baffles and install the Big City Thunder Baffles?

Anyone have any info on the stock pipes that came with the bike?

-Big B

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »

I installed them im my Big Radius late last fall, and just got the first chance to ride a few miles with them. I have to say they are loud! I tested them, stock V&H, without any baffles, and with the BC baffles, and it's very close to running with no baffles.

I will say that while it sounds great during the day bar hopping and such, I think it would get a little rough for a long distant jaunt. And, I'm thinking they are going to cause a real problem trying to slide in the neighborhood at 3:00 AM. I specifically tried to see how quiet I could get it, and my son said he could hear me for blocks away.

As such, I'm actually going to try and look if there's a way to swap them back and forth without removing the shields. If not, I might go back to the stock V&H after a while.

Lastly, if you look at the QC baffles, I'm not sure those could possibly outperform the stock V&H baffles, and would probably be just as loud, so I can't fathom the value?  I know you're talking about the stock pipes, but maybe this will help a little?

Hate to disapoint you but both TM and TM QC do out perform the stock V&H baffels plus they do not have that cheap raspy sound like the stock baffels have. And i did not just install the BCT Baffels without having dyno runs with the V&H baffel and then with the BCT bafffel. HP went up just a little under 6 and TQ right at 8 on the Big Radius, Not as much of a gain with the Big Shots.
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »

I have no doubt that the Monster Baffles, will out flow the louvered stock V&H baffles, provided you get another custom tune. That's exactly why I got 'em.

That said, I don't believe that the QC baffles will outflow the stock V&H baffles. That preforated cone has got to be similar or even more restrictive than the louvered V&H baffle. While I do believe its quieter than the monster baffle, I think the guy said it will sound similar to the stock baffle. As such, I just can't see a huge opportunity for improvement between the stock V&H baffle and the QC baffle. If it's within 1 HP either way, and the sound is close to the same, why bother wasting the dough?

Unless I saw a dyno sheet using a custom tune on the stock V&H and custom tune with the QC baffle side by side, and some spec on the db differences, I just could not recommend that route at least for the V&H BR exhaust.

That said, do know the the V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 will not in itself be a performance improvement over the stock SE pipes, even with a tune. I think they look great, but they simply are not a performance pipe. John Golden tried to warn me, but I was pretty stuck on them - which is why I got the monster baffles to try and regain some of this, but it's gonna cost me another 3 bills, if I can tolerate the noise. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

I do however believe that the Big Radius 2 into 1 is showing to be a little better from a performance perspective. I'm not real keen on the look, but they should out perform the 2 into 2.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:03:37 PM by mrmagloo »

bigbzhd

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »

The only thing I keep hearing though about the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 pipe is the spacer that has to be added for the passenger footpeg and the possibility the footpeg can come in contact with other parts of the bike damaging the paint?  Thats the last thing I want to happen.

Does anyone know if the the stock pipes are actually Screaming Eagle even though they don't have it stamped on them?  I dont see why Harley would put together a CVO and not use Screaming Eagle Pipes?

-Big B

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

Think what you want, As i said, made a dyno run with the stock V&H baffel and then with the Thunder Monster QC baffel, more HP & TQ with the QC, and sounds nothing like the cheap raspy sound of the V&H Baffel, The QC is louder and a deeper note on excel  and decel.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

SERK,

While this is going off topic a bit, let's break down your recommendation.

Start with a stock bike, add the Big Radius, which everyone already knows doesn't help the numbers at all, and might even hurt them, and say an intake, and pay $300 for a custom tune to get back near stock.

Then you are saying to buy the QQ's, which everyone can see is probably just as restrictive as the stock V&H baffles, and might produce a slightly different tone, spend the $80 bucks, plus another $300 for close to 4 bills? I don't know about that stategy.

While I've seen dyno sheet's that prove the monster baffles can give you a few HP/TQ improvement, anyone can see the QQ's will not flow anywhere near the same, and without a before and after, why? Even if you got 1/2 what the monsters got, is it worth almost $400 for that? That's a tough equation there. do you have before and after sheet to document the difference with tunes between after market baffles and the QQ's?

Big-B, my SED definitely had the SE slip-ons. The rest of the exhaust forward was the stock softail. I'm pretty certain yours are the same. Just call the dealer, and look up the CVO spring book for the replacement PN to be sure.

bigbzhd

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »

Mrmagloo,

How do you like your Vance and Hines 2 into 2 pipes?  Are they pretty loud?

I haven't heard them on a bike yet.

-Big B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »

The stock pipes obviously were too quiet, and were brutal ankle burners for the passenger. I actually had a Thunderheader first, which sounded great, but looked stupid.  I went to the Big Radius 2 into 2, for the looks only. I knew well in advance that they do not help performance at all, and in fact, probably hurt it. They look great, and sound pretty good - louder than stock for sure, but never annoying. They do pop a bit with the stock baffles, which is a little hard to minimize.

That said, I installed the Big Breather, Big Radius, and a PC III, and got a JG custom tune and ended up just over stock - barely. My duno sheet is pinned in the SED section. While it was 105 that day, and I never got a stock reading prior to the mods, if you look at the base line with the mods, it's clear the weak link was the BR as the Big Breather certainly couldn't hurt things. John warned me that he saw the same thing with all of the BR 2 into 2's, so I knew it was coming.

Anyway, I merely wanted to try the monster baffles as another fellow with the same exact set up posted a dyno sheet showing a sizable increase over what I got. The only difference was the baffles, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. As I reported earlier, the Monsters are loud, and pretty much sound like totally open pipes. I'm going to manually bump my tune a bit just to make sure I'm not running too lean, and run it for a few hundred miles and see if I can tolerate it. More importantly, see how well the neighbors deal with it. If I decide to keep them, I'll get a custom tune done again with JG at Sturgis in August. If I can't deal with them, I'll just go back to the stock V&H baffles as I have zero confidence the QQ's will offer much for the ~$400 investment.

I hope this helps.

BigMo

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

I have the 07 FXDSE with the V&H Bigshots and the Thunder Monsters. I noticed a good kick in the azz over the stock baffle, even with extra holes drilled in the stock baffle (stock V&H). Yes it is loud, but it raps nice, even before I changed cams the stock motor (tuned of course) would get the attention of the folks standing around, it sounds bad as hell. Picked up 8 tq and 5 hp on the dyno. Not a huge increase, but it felt like the torque was coming in better, maybe its just the sound is making it seem that way. Just my two cents.

BigMo

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:42:56 AM »

I have the 07 FXDSE with the V&H Bigshots and the Thunder Monsters. I noticed a good kick in the azz over the stock baffle, even with extra holes drilled in the stock baffle (stock V&H). Yes it is loud, but it raps nice, even before I changed cams the stock motor (tuned of course) would get the attention of the folks standing around, it sounds bad as hell. Picked up 8 tq and 5 hp on the dyno. Not a huge increase, but it felt like the torque was coming in better, maybe its just the sound is making it seem that way. Just my two cents.

BigMo
[/quot

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.