Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do pipes blue?  (Read 1305 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Why do pipes blue?
« on: May 28, 2005, 01:22:25 AM »

Ok.... normally... I'd know the answer to this... but I'm drawing a blank.  What makes (good quality) pipes blue?  
...Too lean?
...Too rich?
...What?  
I feel like an idiot asking 'cause I know I'll remember in the morning...  
me---> [smiley=dunce2.gif]
[smiley=beerchug.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Why do pipes blue?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 01:35:24 AM »

DJ, actually a LOT of things can go in to it.  How thick is the pipe wall?  What's under the chrome and how many layers?  And a variety of engine attributes as well.  But at the basest level they get blue because they got hot.  Different color shades will even show up with different temp levels.  But they get blue because they get hot.  The leaner it's running the hotter it is.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 02:02:46 AM »

DJ, actually a LOT of things can go in to it.  How thick is the pipe wall?  What's under the chrome and how many layers?  And a variety of engine attributes as well.  But at the basest level they get blue because they got hot.  Different color shades will even show up with different temp levels.  But they get blue because they get hot.  The leaner it's running the hotter it is.

Yep...heat is the primary cause!!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:19:42 AM »

When I left for NC my RG had 5000 mi. and no blueing (V&H long shots).  When I got back from NC 2000 mi. later one of my pipes had a discolored spot.  Running hard fully loaded and two up that long did it I guess.... but because I'm running too lean? Plugs look good, runs perfectly.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 02:27:13 AM »

When I left for NC my RG had 5000 mi. and no blueing (V&H long shots).  When I got back from NC 2000 mi. later one of my pipes had a discolored spot.  Running hard fully loaded and two up that long did it I guess.... but because I'm running too lean? Plugs look good, runs perfectly.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  

Have to remember that a lean condition is only one thing that'll make it run hotter.  Working harder will make it run hotter as well.  So will lower octane fuel.  

So if the engine is (for example) pulling a heavily loaded bike, two up, into a headwind and climbing the mountains after filling up at a station that only had 91 Octane as its best option that engine will be working harder and running measurably warmer than if the same mill were cruising between the cornfields in down state Illinois with a tank full of 96.  

Also have to remember that just because the engine got hot enough to blue a pipe a bit doesn't mean the engine got too hot.  After all, most bikes have some blueing if you look close (or behind the heat shields).  The engine is made to withstand more heat within it's normal operating range than is the shiny chrome.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 07:17:28 AM »

OK, count me in and color me idiot.  [smiley=dunce.gif]

I have the Hookers and loved the look and still love the sound but hate the discolorization. I talk to the dealer and they say "Yes, that is common for those pipes, along with the decel popping." Damn, I wish they would have spoken those words before my purchase... and to make matters worse, they are part of the original purchase, as in covered by what warranty?? [smiley=drummer.gif]

So is it the pipes, the air/fuel mix, how hard I'm running? WHAT?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

While at Myrtle Beach I saw Hard Chrome. It looked good, said it was guaranteed not to blue... can anyone verify? I'm looking for a clean look. I admittedly run hard, so I need pipes that are made to withstand my complete ignorance on this topic.  [smiley=crowngrin.gif]

Little Help!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 07:20:26 AM by WeCVO »
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 11:25:26 AM »

I never had pipes that didn't discolor....some more than others. Either get an exhaust system that has full heat shields or double wall construction. I had cycle shack slash cut pipes on my Heritage..inexpensive and great sound...they looked great w/o heat shields so I got Blue job or some name like that...thick liquid you pour inside the pipe and roll it around to coat it then heat it to dry. I was skeptical but the pipes looked great after several thousand miles and I rode it pretty hard.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:42:08 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DJW,
 Get your Pipes Jett-Hot Coated.  You can do this when they are new, or used.  You will [bgcolor=Yellow]NEVER[/bgcolor] have the BLUE-BLACK-PURPLE, situation again!  BTW, Thanks for the picture!  Tell Reo, Jack, and Karl, Hello for me!  Later--HUBBARD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 11:52:49 AM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »

OK, count me in and color me idiot.  [smiley=dunce.gif]

I have the Hookers and loved the look and still love the sound but hate the discolorization. I talk to the dealer and they say "Yes, that is common for those pipes, along with the decel popping." Damn, I wish they would have spoken those words before my purchase... and to make matters worse, they are part of the original purchase, as in covered by what warranty?? [smiley=drummer.gif]

So is it the pipes, the air/fuel mix, how hard I'm running? WHAT?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

While at Myrtle Beach I saw Hard Chrome. It looked good, said it was guaranteed not to blue... can anyone verify? I'm looking for a clean look. I admittedly run hard, so I need pipes that are made to withstand my complete ignorance on this topic.  [smiley=crowngrin.gif]

Little Help!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Mrs We you've got a few options; but none of them are total.  Some manufacturer's product will be more prone to blue than will others.  Wall thickness, chroming process and other things will effect it without even counting the effects of the engine.

Some pipes are "double walled."  It's like having a heat shield built right around the pipe.  The inner pipe will blue up like normal but the outer one generally doesn't; at least as bad.  Though it still can.  Downside is that the inside pipe ends up being a smaller diameter which means less flow and sometimes hurts performance.

Your pipes wouldn't be included in the bike's warranty even though a dealer put them as part of the original bike purchase.  HD extends the warranty of parts installed at time of purchse to those other parts; but only if they are HD parts.  HD can't (quite rightly) be the warrant site for another manufacturer's branded product.  So they wouldn't be covered by the bike's warranty.  They would be covered by their own product warranty and whatever the installer's agreement might be to act as agent for them.

One other thing on blueing that can help any pipe is to have it's inside ceramic coated.  Some place like Jet Hot or a variety of other header manufacturers can often do that.  Pick whatever pipe you want, buy it, then send it out to spend more money on it, get it back with a super slick and super hard ceramic coating on it.  It'll flow a bit better because of the super slickness of the ceramic and will resist blueing better both for that reason and because of the hardness and impermeability of the coating as well.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 07:26:45 PM »

Mrs We

[smiley=shocked2.gif] Dude! [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

[smiley=drink.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:52:01 PM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif] Dude! [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

[smiley=drink.gif]

Frack !
[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.