Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike  (Read 35351 times)

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
Re: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

Don, I'm usually wordy...here I'll be brief...nice job, thanks for the pics, directions and use of your good name at Roeders. PJ  

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2005, 09:21:50 PM »

Don, is it safe to say this radio would allow the installation of rear speakers on our motorcycles?  That SOB would really ROCK with rear speakers and the additional amp!

[smiley=drummer.gif]
                           [smiley=guitarist.gif]      [smiley=guitarist.gif]
                                 [smiley=singer.gif]

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 10:13:09 PM »

I thought I saw an amplifier under the tour pack of the o6 SE Ultra, yes - no?.

If it is part of the package are you going to add that too Don?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 10:15:33 PM »

Don, is it safe to say this radio would allow the installation of rear speakers on our motorcycles?  That SOB would really ROCK with rear speakers and the additional amp!

[smiley=drummer.gif]
                           [smiley=guitarist.gif]      [smiley=guitarist.gif]
                                 [smiley=singer.gif]

Yes Brian.  Sure can.  The rear speakers connect up through the big accessory harness.  That was actually the biggest reason I was glad to have gotten the big accessory harness rather than one of the cheaper ones (after I saw it).

I'd mistakenly just assumed that rear speakers would spool off the primary side of the radio.  They are off the accessory trunk though.  The big accessory harness has connections for everything.  Rear speakers, Nav, CB, rear speakers, you name it.  Even audio connections for a sidecar are part of that harness.

Even if the radio is good without the accessory amp I was still thinking about something like what you seem to be.  Mounting rear speakers and the amp on the King Tour Pak only.  Then just not worrying with it the rest of the time.  The King Pak is what's on the bike when I'm travelling any real distance anyway.

To do rear speakers you'd need yet another harness (70169-06) and the rear speaker kit itself (77155-06).  That rear speaker kit looks to be pretty complete though.  Text from Harley website says this, "Advanced Audio Rear Speaker Kit includes rear speakers, rear pods, and passenger controls for rear headset volume, CB PTT, and radio tuning."

Would need to install plugs in-line so the harnesses could be disconnected to remove the Tour Pak.  But I can't believe that's going to be a major obstacle.  Just a little time in a Waytek catalog.  Might be cool though......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2005, 10:17:43 PM »

I thought I saw an amplifier under the tour pack of the o6 SE Ultra, yes - no?.

If it is part of the package are you going to add that too Don?

Duane, that amp under the tour pak is one of the many accessories that can be added to these radio kits.  It is not part of the basic radio kit though.  It's not on the red bike right now; at least not yet.  

The new radio has an amp built in.  I want to run it on the road a bit to see how well it sounds before deciding the necessity of buying the extra amp.  If necessary, however, it would mount beneath our tour paks in the same place.

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:09 PM »

Fantastic post, thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up. Your post will really help those thinking of making the change and/or installing it. Thanks again.
Darrell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 10:27:10 PM »

Fantastic post, thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up. Your post will really help those thinking of making the change and/or installing it. Thanks again.

Not a problem.  There have been enough people express an interest there was just no good reason not to take advantage of this install for whomever comes next.  When Harley releases their own retrofit package this little task also gave a pretty good idea for what it'll likely be.  

Probably just a  software CD and a smallish interconnect harness.  Looks like all it would need to be is an interconnect between the radio and the stock harness plug. T's off from there with one to pick up a ground and another four going over to the input connector on the accessory connector that I spliced to for now.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 11:22:12 PM »

Don, your right!

To add the CB and intercom would be a nightmare and mess up the look.  I currently have the XM and CB installed with a JM Corp windshield and handlebar mount system.  It took forever to install it.  I personally do not like the console kit just to have a plug and a couple of switches.  I am wondering though if my wiring harness for the JM CB will (with some mods) fit up some how.  I need to take some pics and show you what I have and how its installed.  Happy with it overall, but the XM is frequency modulated and the volume is cut back by about 30% on XM, and the CB will only play through the helmet headset.  I like the helmet in the cooler temperatures but not all the time and summer driving is like wearing a microwave on my head.  I have a half helmet set up also, but the speakers hurt my ears (physically) and have a lousy bass if any at all.   Maybe a subwoofer would help.  If the weather and delivery will work out, I may take you up on the install help.  I'll bring the beers, but not Oklahoma 3.2.

In any case, the radio and XM would clean up my windshield mounted XM and improve the volume issue.  I don't use the CB as much as I thought I would when I installed it.  Mostlly to point out the babes or points of interest when group riding.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2005, 01:06:20 AM »

CD, here's one more thing to think about.  While I am at least somewhat interested in CB and intercom functions, and the Bluetooth thing as well; the big gains I wanted were XM and the ability to play MP3 discs.  One disc, all day long, no repitition, no problems.  XM and MP3 means I never hear the same song twice in the same day no matter how long I'm stupid enough to ride.

After those bits, however, I'm willing to wait a bit.  Wait on Harley actually.  Since BMW has already released a Bluetooth helmet relieving their riders of cords and plugs from the hat I really doubt Harley intends to let their new fancy radio lag terribly far behind.  Could be completely wrong.  But I'm hoping the summer dealer show brings us the option of CB or intercom or other things without having the "pods" and plugs for the helmet connection.  

I'd gladly plug the helmet in to a charger each evening on the road not to have to mess with ugly plugs and wires to my helmet.  Plus you'd still be able to hear the radio or talk on the phone off the bike.  If the MoCo gets to be that much on-the-ball it's then that I'm spending more money on the bike.

In any case the new radio is the jumping off point.  The XM kit is obvious to go along with it.  If you decide to hang some pieces on the yellow bike sometime just give me a shout.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 01:17:02 AM »

FYI - 06 speakers are 2 ohm, previous years are 8 ohm.  Also, I believe that the speaker wires are a heavier gauge in 06
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 01:20:33 AM by One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 03:25:24 AM »

FYI - 06 speakers are 2 ohm, previous years are 8 ohm.

While generally correct for past years it is incorrect for the Screamin Eagle Electra Glides under discussion here.  The 04 and 05 SEEGs used an amplified audio radio kit (HD 76350-04).  60 watt internal amp and 4 ohm.  Earlier in the thread the difference in the new speaker's spec had also already been detailed.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 08:51:11 AM »

Wow Don. Excellent work and a great tutorial to go with it. I'm sure this will help many folks who want to do the same install. Concerning the power output on the two radios, the old SE radio is 40 watts, 20 per channel, the new one is 80 watts 40 per, and the amp makes it a total of 160, or 80 each.
   BTW, I thought I was going to be able to help you out on selling your old radio as I put the SE amplified radio in my FLHT that I sold,  and I saved all the boxing, instructions, etc. for  if and when the bike was sold. So when it did sell, the new owner rode the bike out of state and didn't want it, so I put it back on the shelf.  But, last week during a cleaning moment, I said, well I'll never need that stuff anymore and tossed it in the trash.  Oh well.    
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 09:42:33 AM »

Wow Don. Excellent work and a great tutorial to go with it. I'm sure this will help many folks who want to do the same install. Concerning the power output on the two radios, the old SE radio is 40 watts, 20 per channel, the new one is 80 watts 40 per,

GC, that's great news if the new radio is 80 watts total.  That would account for why it seemed to "sound" about the same in my totally non-scientific volume and distortion tests conducted in the garage.  Since I got no real docs with it I was going merely by what a tech said and some advertising I'd read for the 40 amp spec on the new radio.  The original SEEG radio from HD kit 76350-04 actually has a 60 watt amp rather than 40 though.  So, if accurate, the 80 watt spec you've shared means the new one is actually bigger.  That'd be good news.

------------------------------------------

Ok, this is a P.S. of sorts to this post.  Just looked up some HD posted specs on the new Advanced Audio Radio to confirm it's amp output.  Both published spec's and a call to SPOC on the radio confirm it does in fact have a 40 watt amp inboard (20 watts per side) as we'd first believed.  That's ok though.  It may be a bit smaller than the 60 amp unit we started with but Harmon Kardon has a good reputation for audio.  So perhaps it's a bit more efficient as well.  Important test will still be later this afternoon when it gets compared "before and after" on the road.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:11:54 AM by twolanerider »

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »

Well now I'm really curious.  I know I've seen HD mention the 80 watt stereo.  I wonder if it's 20 amps X 4 for a total of 80?  I know I got pretty excited when I first saw the ad for the SEU and it said 160 watts, which is 40 X 4   I guess.  Maybe we should put the radio on a dyno and check if for sure.  LOL  Main thing is it sounds and performs better. After spending this much money on toys, it better sound good.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »

I wonder if as with the previous radio there is a CVO version?  40 x 2 for the front built in to the radio and the rear amp adds the 40 x 2 for the rear speakers for the total of 160 watts? Or does the tour pack amp run all four speakers [smiley=nixweiss.gif] If the unit by itself is 20 x 2 i'm not sure how they'd get 160 watts total unless the amp ran all of the speakers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.