Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike  (Read 35501 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2005, 11:11:21 AM »

HEY PJ

YUP Signed off on amplifier circuits a week ago, and silkscreening this week. In order to make it fit on top of the radio, we did our own cutom aluminum extrusion for the heat sink which was expensive, but the only option. Im F*N tired of engineering drawings!! Of course they were all in millimeters just to make it extra fun. The amplifier will be called USA 24.2 and although is made to mimmick the moco radio power will have a very cool, but unusual feature to prove to eveyone that this is a dedicated motorcycle amplifier--

Um, Pez, don't be a tease.  What will be the amp's output?  What is this mysterious "feature."  How will it mount "on top of the radio" and will that mount work with the XM or other modules that must go on top of the 06 radios?  Two channel or four?  When will be availability?  Can I get fries with that?

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2005, 02:08:11 PM »

Hey

HD wants everyone to upgrade the software on the radios, and you guys can burn a CD and do this yourself. Go to the touring section of the MOCO site, and click the picture of the radio-then click "software download"--and follow the destructions.

PEZ

This makes me wonder if this is what Roeders is doing on their radios as the "software" change.  I can't believe they have been able to develop something that is compatible with the HK software on their own.  If it is you can order a radio from anyone you want and do the software upgrade yourself.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 02:14:14 PM by h2oski »

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2005, 02:15:53 PM »

H2 - you are probably correct...the HD website gives all the details for downloading the newest version of the software.  It probably doesn't require that the radio already have software installed as this is an update - it will replace the old software entirely.  Still, it was worth $100 bucks to get it done - wonder if they are downloading the newest version that's on the website?  -  PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2005, 02:35:09 PM »

This makes me wonder if this is what Roeders is doing on their radios as the "software" change.  I can't believe they have been able to develop something that is compatible with the HK software on their own.  If it is you can order a radio from anyone you want and do the software upgrade yourself.

You could if they sold the software by itself.  Which, unfortunately, the don't.  Even if they load it for you they don't give you a backup copy.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2005, 02:56:40 PM »

You could if they sold the software by itself.  Which, unfortunately, the don't.  Even if they load it for you they don't give you a backup copy.

So they are loading the original software onto the stereo for the first time when they recieve it.  You would think the software would be loaded by HK when the stereo is manufactured.  If it is in the radio when they manufacture it then you would only need to perform the upgrade.  

pezsez

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2005, 03:00:05 PM »

2lane

The amp is called USA 24.2 and will mimmick the power of the radio. It will be rated at 24 watts x 2 RMS and will have an unusual feature. I cannot get into it due to a licencing deal, but if I havent caught HK's attn yet................. :P
If the whole world was smart, us guys with half a brain would be in real trouble!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2005, 03:13:23 PM »

So they are loading the original software onto the stereo for the first time when they recieve it.  You would think the software would be loaded by HK when the stereo is manufactured.  If it is in the radio when they manufacture it then you would only need to perform the upgrade.  

Water, Roeder's Harley is loading a software revision on the radio.  I'm told it does come from manufacturing with a base software load.  There are specific revisions that must be loaded for the radio to integrate several of the Advanced Audio accessories available as well.  But in normal circumstances that's all the dealer would regularly load.  

The radio is (software) programmable as evidenced by the revision release currently on Harley's website.  What Roeder's is doing is simply yet another software revision.  This one, however, tweaks (or replaces) code to do whatever is necessary to make the radio play with the 98-05 year model bikes.

They could supply it on CD.  The choose not to.  From their perspective I understand why.  They are currently the only vendor with the product.  If they sold it to me I could burn a copy and send it to PJ and anyone else interested in doing the job.  The radio just reads and installs the software from the disk.  So there'd be no limit.  Until such a time as Harley itself does a consumer release of the same product Roeder's has the market to themself.  

Were I simply buying a software product from them I'd have reason to complain about what they're doing.  But they, in essence, gave me the software for free when I purchased the radio.  I only paid their standard (discounted) price for the radio.  No markup for the software load (parts or labor).  So I really can't complain about not being supplied a product I didn't actually pay for.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 03:15:05 PM by twolanerider »

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2005, 12:53:20 AM »

Twolane - thanks to your play by play installation instructions, I was able to install the '06 Radio today in a little over an hour.  I had removed the old radio, prewired the two taps and installed the XM antenna, so when the new unit arrived today it was a breeze.  Thanks again...XM works great, sound quality is good and the unit itself is pretty sweet.  Once Pez does his thing with the 2-ohm speakers and the in-line amp we'll have a hot set up. For now, I'm very satisfied with the new radio and the XM - give me lots to read up on.  Thanks again for your help, PJ
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 12:57:27 AM by pj57 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2005, 01:09:16 AM »

That's great PJ.  Glad to read that Roeders got it turned around for you as quickly as they did.  It's nice to stumble upon a Harley shop that seems to get service right.  Was really glad to hear that they were fixing you up so you'd not have to just sit on the new radio until whenever Harley got around to making something available for us.

Like you I'm interested to find out more about Pez's new amp project too.  The overall volume now is ok.  And the clarity is great.  But if the whole thing was jacked up just a little bit more I might not ever get rid of this bike   .

So, what besides XM do you think you'll add to the mix now that you've got her working?

With both of our red bikes that makes the batting average on this little project 1000 so far.  We're 2 for 2!  Whose next?

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2005, 01:34:13 AM »

Don - believe it or not, I'm toying with trying the CB install.  I ride with a lot of Ultra types and I sometimes feel left out of the conversations.  As you will recall, I'm going to get my inner fairing replaced from the damage caused by the neck cover - I'm also having the heated grips replaced with the supposed upgraded stealth heated grips.  Since the fairing is being disassembled and the handlebars rewired, that would be the perfect time to install the PTT switch on the left controls and the speaker switch on the console.  I don't want to replace the existing console with the Ultra console "pod" because it is shorter and a) doesn't look as sleek as what we've got on the SEEG and b) would require a new seat with a longer nose to mate up to the Ultra console.  So...I'd have to find an alternate mounting point for the microphone plug in.  Thought about the inner fairing, but that's too far a stretch.  Leaning more toward fabricating a small chrome mounting plate/plug underneath where the tank and seat meet.  This project is definitely in the planning only stage contingent on what Tom and the folks at at Roeders say about the wiring requirements. All those open and available terminals on that fat Ultra Overlay harness sure are tempting aren't they? If it's as easy as plug and play, then I'm there.  At that point I think the SEEG would definitely have the best of both worlds and like you said - would be a keeper for a long while. I'll keep you guys posted on any new developments - PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2005, 04:07:23 AM »

PJ, that'd be a great time to do the work.  No doubt about that.  And like you I'd wondered about an alternative mounting to the jack rather than swapping out the dash.  Really need to get that in hand at some time and see what can be fabricated around it.  

Another thought I'd had was a little bracket akin to what JC did with his heated clothing plug.  It was on a picture here but that was likely pre-hack; so may not still be around.  If memory serves though was a smallish bracket that mounted to the frame beneath the seat.  So rather than dropping down in front of you the cord would drop down over your left leg and plug in down below the seat.  It'd still be out of the way of all your movements and really wouldn't be noticed much when it wasn't in use.

Anyway, I've been thinking about "options" too.  Just glad you got your going ok and was able to do so with so little extra hassle and as quickly as it did.  If you come up with any good ideas for mounting alternatives let me know and I'll do the same.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »

Twolane - that spot between the tank and seat seems to be the most ideal to mount the mike outlet. It's a spot that's easily accessible and close to the rider.  Also, I'm looking at selling the SEEG radio on Ebay.  From the service manual, it appears the speaker overlay (that we don't use anymore) is fairly easily removable.  It piggybacks on another harness that's located on the right side of the frame and goes directly to the fuse/battery area.  There's one ground wire and a power lead that is located at the "2A" fuse junction.  Based on the wiring schematic, those leads sole purpose is to power the SEEG radio (I'm assuming the amp+speakers).  So, in order for the radio to be sold, the new owner would need the overlay. If the SEEG overlay serves no other purpose, then I'll remove it to sell the old radio and clean up the clutter under the fairing.  Any thoughts?  I think I'll test the water by pulling the the fuse and seeing if it affects anything else - it shouldn't but sometimes I think maybe I'm pressing my luck a bit...  PJ  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2005, 10:47:19 AM »

PJ,
I put one of those radio kits in before (our stock radio is a kit HD sells at part #76350-04).  It's been awhile but if memory serves correctly you're right about where that harness goes.  If it turns out to be a pain to pull you can order it by itself.  It'll carry part number 71004-04.

I'd planned on recovering some of the expense of the retrofit by selling the old radio as well.  Ended up getting $810.00 for the radio, the speakers that came on the bike stock and that harness you're talking about.  Told them specifically that if they're swapping out an existing radio they'll have everything they need.  If they're starting from scratch in a Standard, however, they'll need to come up with the bolts to hold the radio to the frame (we got an extra set of speaker screws with the new radio).

I didn't pull the harness from the bike though.  Wanted to leave it there "just in case."  I would have pulled it if I'd had to pay very much for a replacement to it.  But I'd picked one up on an overstock table at a dealer about six months ago for $20.  For that it wasn't worth raising the tank to get it out.

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2005, 07:11:44 AM »

Don - thanks for the info on the harness.  After weighing the possibility of scratching my tank or screwing something else up, I decided to order one.  It's around $65.  Having the harness in place may prove to be a good switched power source in the future. Let's see if I'll be able to sell the entire setup radio, harness and speakers for a decent price to offset the cost of the new radio - PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2005, 01:38:37 PM »

By the way Brian, did you decide yet if you're going to get one (new radio that is)?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 04:20:51 PM by twolanerider »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.