Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Arkansas 3-Mountain State Park Ride with GPS Maps  (Read 3098 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Arkansas 3-Mountain State Park Ride with GPS Maps
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

I've done this route several times, and even more times in portions, and it never gets old.  This route is available on MyRoute-app.com, and can be reversed.
The route takes you from a starting point of either Ozark or Russellville, Arkansas on I-40 (your choice of starting location, but you'll have to reverse the route), and then heads south to the plateau mountains along the Arkansas River and in the Ouachita Mountains (prounounced "Wash-i-ta").  The area you'll be travelling thru is some of the prettiest forest and pasture land in all of Arkansas, and each of these 3 mountain parks would be easy to spend a full day or more at.  Both Mt. Magazine and Petit Jean SP's have beautifully renovated lodges that will make for good memories if you stay there, but call ahead for reservations.  Mt. Nebo doesn't have a lodge per se, but it does have cabins for rent with very private backyards and views looking out from huge cliffs.  These cabins book for months in advance, so the odds of getting one on short notice is nil, because yes, the place is just that cool.
Anyway, here is the .gpx map for your GPS device.  I will include a couple of more posts below with more info.
I hope you try this route, as you will not regret it.

NOTE:  SEE MY POSTS FURTHER DOWN TO FIND THE MAP FILES FOR THIS ROUTE.  IT'S COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM (HEREAFTER CALLED THE i-tainted SYSTEM ONLY ALLOWS FOR 99 WAYPOINTS PER ROUTE.  THIS ROUTE HAD WELL MORE THAN THAT, SO I DIVIDED THE ROUTE INTO TWO DAYS, AS THAT'S WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO DO THE ENTIRE ROUTE RIGHT ANYWAY.  THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:00:07 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

Re: Arkansas 3-Mountain State Park Ride with GPS Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:20:33 PM »

And here is a downloadable map of the ENTIRE 2-DAY run:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:01:29 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »

And here is a downloadable PDF of the turn-by-turn instructions of the ENTIRE 2-DAY route:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:01:05 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »

Looks like somebody finally got a break from the rain.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »

Looks like somebody finally got a break from the rain.

We had four beautiful days in a row, then had 2.5" on Saturday.  Then two beautiful days yesterday and today, then tomorrow is another 80% chance day, which translates into either no rain, or another 2+ inches.  Oh, well.
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »

At least we are finally getting some rain.....lol. Even if we seem to be getting it all at once.

Thank you for the route post. Thats a beautiful area and some nice riding area. A couple of the switchbacks coming off of Magazine will jump up on you if your not paying attention.

Another one you may want to run if you haven't that is kind of along that I40 route is AR 215 coming out of Cass over to AR 103. Runs along the Mulberry River and is a very pretty slow speed ride.

Keep those routes coming!! The rain has sure turned our world GREEN!!
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

At least we are finally getting some rain.....lol. Even if we seem to be getting it all at once.

Thank you for the route post. Thats a beautiful area and some nice riding area. A couple of the switchbacks coming off of Magazine will jump up on you if your not paying attention.

Another one you may want to run if you haven't that is kind of along that I40 route is AR 215 coming out of Cass over to AR 103. Runs along the Mulberry River and is a very pretty slow speed ride.

Keep those routes coming!! The rain has sure turned our world GREEN!!

Hey Dave,
You're right, 215 is a gem, and is on at least one or two of the routes I have designed for Eureka Springs.  And 103 south from Oark is great too.  Those roads are fun enough in a car, but fabulous on a bike! 
We took the Jeep there one year and did those two roads, and it gave us the advantage of taking a lot of rocky off into the woods and down to the Mulberry, which made the trip even better.  But the whole time we were gone, I kept thinking "man, these roads would be awesome for the bike!"   :2vrolijk_21:
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »

Those are definitely bike roads. We love riding 215 right after a rain. There will be several short lived waterfalls from the bluffs

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »

Those are definitely bike roads. We love riding 215 right after a rain. There will be several short lived waterfalls from the bluffs

There is a long stretch like that along Hwy 65 south of Leslie and then again south of Marshall as well, and I've seen the Leslie ones turn to ice walls in the winter as those low cliffs are in the shade most of the day.
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »

I'll have to mark those on the wet weather list also then.

MiCrow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »

I miss these Arkansas rides. I moved to North Texas almost 2 years ago and these roads were all my weekend rides every chance I got (as well as Mount Magazine, The Hwy 23 Pig Trail and Winding Stair Mountain in OK).

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »

I miss these Arkansas rides. I moved to North Texas almost 2 years ago and these roads were all my weekend rides every chance I got (as well as Mount Magazine, The Hwy 23 Pig Trail and Winding Stair Mountain in OK).

I see you have an Arkansas flag under your call sign...are you still in Texas?
Harry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »

Maybe partial because I live in the area and those Ar roads are an hour away, but they are sure hard to beat for day in and day out riding. But that said I am sure the people for every state around thinks the same about their roads.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »

It's gratifying to hear you guys speak well of Arkansas roads.  Truth be told, there is much NOT to like about some of them, but then I've lived here for 30+ years and have seen some of the worst they have to offer.  And I'm sure the same could be said for roads in every state. 
On the other hand, I have been on many roads in this state that almost bring (good) tears to my eyes, and have found them to be wonderful examples of fine mountain roads with beautiful on-camber turns that in some cases were once cow or buffalo trails that then became wagon/cart trails.  The roads up here are examples of that.
So many of our rural counties have very little tax base so the roads go un-repaired for long periods of time.  Heck, my county didn't have a single paved road until the 1950's as I recollect, and that was Hwy 62 running east-west.  Then something like 10 years later they paved half the length of Hwy 14 which runs north-south!  Up until that point, all the roads here were rock or maybe gravel and were maintained by volunteers from each town, who would work on the roads near their town. 
Where I live now, it was almost 15 miles of rock/gravel to get from Hwy 14 to here up until the early 2000's, whereas now only the last 3/4 mile is nice gravel and is graded by the county twice a year to keep it nice.
I didn't buy this place until 2011, and sure as heck wouldn't have bought it had there been 15 miles of rocky roads to get here!  I've talked to locals who did live here back then, and they always carried spare tires with them.
Truthfully though, I agree with you guys.  Arkansas has some pretty incredible scenery and the roads to view it from.
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

HERE IS THE MAP FILE FOR DAY 1 OF THIS ROUTE:
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »

AND HERE IS THE MAP FOR DAY 2 OF THE RUN:
Harry

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.