Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A question for the 2006 CVO Ultra owners.  (Read 8156 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
A question for the 2006 CVO Ultra owners.
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »

What kind of mpgs are you getting?

Highway
City

What engine/exhaust modifications do you have?

Thanks!
Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

Re: A question for the 2006 CVO Ultra owners.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »

Bump to the top.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »

Mark, I get around 39 or so on the highway, and about 34 in town. Now if I drive at the speed limit, then highway mileage goes up.  Bike runs very well.  All work done at around 50,000 miles, currently have 70,371 miles. No real problems so far.

S&S 510 gear drive cams
SE race tuner
adjustable push rods
52mm efi
Rhinehart true duals.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:32:52 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

Mark
I had my 06 for 8 years, just sold it recently.  Never got great mileage.  New with just SE Pipes and a Dyno tune I got about 36 around town, 40 on the road.  When  it was rebuilt at 30k due to cam bearing failure it was built at 10.25 to 1, Yuill Bros YB13 Cams, Yuill Bros Elite D Exhaust and it still ran 36 around town 40 on the road.  Now on the road the 40 was is I stayed below 3k rpm.  Once beyond that the mileage dropped, out having a lot of fun I have see 20mpg...
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »

Thanks Bill,

I was recently Dyno tuned. I'm getting 37 on the freeway, and 25 in the city. Stock build, FullSac true duals and slip ons. I'd like to think I can do better because I used to get 33 in the city. I talked to the tuner, (hand picked by Steve Cole) and he said the previous tune (by Bob Lobenberg) was too lean and that accounted for the better city mpgs. He also said the '06 CVO Ultra is one of the heaviest bikes HD ever made.

Not sure what to do, if I can or should do anything.

Mark

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »

last I checked, I was around 44 hwy and 34 in the city. Cruising around 70 mph. Zippers 575 cam, power commander and Rinehart slip ons, on factory headpipe. Dynotuned a few years ago  by Dynotunes in Burlington, Ontario.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »

Mark, with nothing else changed between the two tuners, I'm curious how the dyno graphs compare.  Are you able to post both of them?

If you can't post them.....is the tune with the second tuner (running much, much richer if the mileage is that much different) that much of an increase in performance?  As I mentioned at breakfast yesterday, I'm also curious if enrichening it that much will reap big dividends in running that much cooler in the summer, also. :nixweiss:

OK, now that I'm putting more thought to this....many of us know Bob's work and reputation.  Who is the second tuner....the one that you were referred to by Steve Cole?

I hope you're able to find some solution/resolution soon.  I can see where this would be a huge impact on the pocket book on a long distance ride.  And the fact that you'd have to stop every 100 miles for gas.  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:53:31 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »

Mark, not sure where someone got the idea that your bike was so heavy. The ultras only got heavier for awhile after yours. Something is wrong with your current tune if you are only getting 25mpg around town. Heck, I got 30mpg on my 110 going 85-90 mph bucking a huge headwind on the Texas trip and get 37mpg around town. Of course Bob tuned mine also.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 05:55:45 PM »

Mark, with nothing else changed between the two tuners, I'm curious how the dyno graphs compare.  Are you able to post both of them?

If you can't post them.....is the tune with the second tuner (running much, much richer if the mileage is that much different) that much of an increase in performance?  As I mentioned at breakfast yesterday, I'm also curious if enrichening it that much will reap big dividends in running that much cooler in the summer, also. :nixweiss:

OK, now that I'm putting more thought to this....many of us know Bob's work and reputation.  Who is the second tuner....the one that you were referred to by Steve Cole?

I hope you're able to find some solution/resolution soon.  I can see where this would be a huge impact on the pocket book on a long distance ride.  And the fact that you'd have to stop every 100 miles for gas.  :nixweiss:

JC,

You can find a posting on the dyno charts here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=99305.msg1288629#msg1288629

From the start, let me explain the background.

Bob Lobenberg did my original tune in late 2012. The bike ran well and got 33/37, but had cold start difficulties. Working with Bob I tried to adjust the cold start long distance by email, but that was unsuccessful. Last year I took the bike back to Bob and he discovered a small intake leak causing a lean condition, (you were there for that Roger). Bob surmised that the intake leaked when cold, and sealed when warmed up. Hence the cold start issue. I took the bike back down to LA and had the intake manifold gaskets changed out. The cold start issue continued.

Not wanting to deal with riding back to Hayward from LA to see Bob, I sought out a tuner in Los Angeles to work with.

The tuner is Gene Thomasen of Thomasen Racing, Carson CA. Gene is a well respected tuner and works hand in hand with Steve Cole over maps, builds and all of that. He also works for HD putting together their catalogs and brochures. He also helps HD figure out the best over all tune to put in their factory bikes to meet all emission standards at the time of production. Gene tunes with O2 sensors in the head pipes in lieu of sensors shoved up the tail pipes. I had O2 bungs welded into my head pipes to accommodate this. He said the O2s are much more effective and precise for tuning, and I believe him.

Gene tuned my bike to an overall 14.7 afr. When I went back to him he leaned out certain parts of the map to 14.8, but was reluctant to go leaner for the sake of engine longevity. When I mentioned that my previous tune (by Bob Lobenberg) yielded 33/37, and his tune gets 25/37, he said the previous one was too lean. He also mentioned the weight of the bike, and my riding style as contributing factors. I will say that the bike does run well, but not any better than Bob's tune. Were it not for the 25/37mpgs I would leave it alone.

Roger, I asked Gene why the 110s get better mpgs. He said the 110 build is such that the engine works less hard at running than the 103. Hence it takes more throttle/fuel to push a 103 down the road than a 110.

I do feel like I am in a unique position. My bike was tuned by Steve Coles tuner and runs well. I would like to improve the mpgs though.That's why I wanted to find out what kind of mpgs other '06 CVO Ultras are getting.

Mark

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »

Mark, I get around 39 or so on the highway, and about 34 in town. Now if I drive at the speed limit, then highway mileage goes up.  Bike runs very well.  All work done at around 50,000 miles, currently have 70,371 miles. No real problems so far.

S&S 510 gear drive cams
SE race tuner
adjustable push rods
52mm efi
Rhinehart true duals.

Corrected in town mileage had numbers reversed.  By the way my bike is tuned to run on 87 octane without knocking or pinging .  Saves a few bucks at fill ups.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »

Corrected in town mileage had numbers reversed.  By the way my bike is tuned to run on 87 octane without knocking or pinging .  Saves a few bucks at fill ups.

I wish you could mail me your tune to try, but you're SERT, and I'm TTS Mastertune.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »

Mark, looking at both of your dyno sheets side by side, http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=99305.0;attach=275461;image , it appears that not only was the mileage affected but the performance was, also.

And I'm not talking about just top end/peak numbers.  The difference begins right at 2000 rpm and continues right up and across the board.  However, the A/F numbers on Bob's tune do appear to be a bit low at what appears to be sub 14?

One of the things that you mention that Gene accounts for the low mpg is your riding style?  If that is true, I can only imagine what kind of mileage I'd be getting if he tuned my bike.  :o  It'd probably be down around the 17 that my diesel gets.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:15:47 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:36:36 PM »

I wish you could mail me your tune to try, but you're SERT, and I'm TTS Mastertune.
TTS Mastertune was the vendor to the moco for the SERT.  It was their product.  Check with Steve Cole but depending on how old and what version MT.X the SERT file it is I think your TTS Mastertune might recognize and load it.  I know I had my SERT interface upgraded by TTS Mastertune after they and the moco parted company and I was able to load and tweak the SERT file that was loaded on my '07.  If it won't load the file you could ask him to print out the various tables and you could input the values into the various cells and create a map manually that would match his.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:19 AM »

Chains,

Do you think your bike is tuned too lean to get those mpg numbers?

Mark

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

JC,

You can find a posting on the dyno charts here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=99305.msg1288629#msg1288629

From the start, let me explain the background.

Bob Lobenberg did my original tune in late 2012. The bike ran well and got 33/37, but had cold start difficulties. Working with Bob I tried to adjust the cold start long distance by email, but that was unsuccessful. Last year I took the bike back to Bob and he discovered a small intake leak causing a lean condition, (you were there for that Roger). Bob surmised that the intake leaked when cold, and sealed when warmed up. Hence the cold start issue. I took the bike back down to LA and had the intake manifold gaskets changed out. The cold start issue continued.

Not wanting to deal with riding back to Hayward from LA to see Bob, I sought out a tuner in Los Angeles to work with.

The tuner is Gene Thomasen of Thomasen Racing, Carson CA. Gene is a well respected tuner and works hand in hand with Steve Cole over maps, builds and all of that. He also works for HD putting together their catalogs and brochures. He also helps HD figure out the best over all tune to put in their factory bikes to meet all emission standards at the time of production. Gene tunes with O2 sensors in the head pipes in lieu of sensors shoved up the tail pipes. I had O2 bungs welded into my head pipes to accommodate this. He said the O2s are much more effective and precise for tuning, and I believe him.

Gene tuned my bike to an overall 14.7 afr. When I went back to him he leaned out certain parts of the map to 14.8, but was reluctant to go leaner for the sake of engine longevity. When I mentioned that my previous tune (by Bob Lobenberg) yielded 33/37, and his tune gets 25/37, he said the previous one was too lean. He also mentioned the weight of the bike, and my riding style as contributing factors. I will say that the bike does run well, but not any better than Bob's tune. Were it not for the 25/37mpgs I would leave it alone.

Roger, I asked Gene why the 110s get better mpgs. He said the 110 build is such that the engine works less hard at running than the 103. Hence it takes more throttle/fuel to push a 103 down the road than a 110.

I do feel like I am in a unique position. My bike was tuned by Steve Coles tuner and runs well. I would like to improve the mpgs though.That's why I wanted to find out what kind of mpgs other '06 CVO Ultras are getting.

Mark
Mark, I'm pretty sure my 82",88", and 96" all got better in town mileage than that.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.638 seconds with 24 queries.