Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Been a few years, but a trip I'll never forget  (Read 903 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Been a few years, but a trip I'll never forget
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »

Was digging through some old stuff and came across my 1st cruise book. Had to be netted in the rack and the storm lasted 3 days. The bulkheads would flex in on the way up and pop back out on the way down, sounded like hitting a giant gong. $8 million damage and was the 1st American carrier to go behind the seawall in Naples, It.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Farm boy

Re: Been a few years, but a trip I'll never forget
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »

Fun times. I was on an LST in hurricane in '88.
46° rolls.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »

Wow, Independence must have a thing for bad storms in the North Atlantic.  I was on it, headed back to the USA in 84 or 85.  Had waves over the bow.  Ripped an F14 that had been chained down right off the elevator, ripped to tie down points off.  Cocked the elevator so bad it would not move.  It was something to hear and see the metal flex, and sounding like a gong as you say.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

Was digging through some old stuff and came across my 1st cruise book. Had to be netted in the rack and the storm lasted 3 days. The bulkheads would flex in on the way up and pop back out on the way down, sounded like hitting a giant gong. $8 million damage and was the 1st American carrier to go behind the seawall in Naples, It.

I was on that same cruise attached to VAQ-136!  Our Berthing area was forward under the Boatswains locker and the anchor chain tubes came thru our berthing area and we got flooded from that ride of a life time!  Wow! what A shock to see someone else being on that same Carrier!  Not only rough, but the carrier sat on top of the third wave and the screws came out of the water and shook the boat crazily!  That was one heck of a ride for 3 days for sure! the catwalks being torn off the port and starboard side forward was where our berthing area had exit hatches to get up on the deck.  One of our squadron members freaked out and went to open the port hatch and found ocean view.  He screamed and dogged the hatch and taped it off.  Went and did the same to the starboard hatch!  Yeah we mopped up ocean water 18" in our berthing area for the first 24 hours of that ride! Luckily i had a middle bunk! 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:43:48 PM by catahoula58 »

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.