Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: No more Dunlops for me  (Read 2413 times)

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
No more Dunlops for me
« on: April 07, 2020, 03:01:43 AM »

Here is my rear tire on my 2017 FLHXSE. 10,578 miles. My guess is the slits are where the center tread compound is pulling away from the sidewall compound. My tires are always kept properly inflated so that is not the issue. Looks like it is about to give birth to a tire gator.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: No more Dunlops for me
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:03:24 AM »

Same thing on both sides and full circumference.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:06:31 AM »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »

Not good for sure. That tire has over 10k on it?  Still has more tread on it than mine do.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »

These are supposed to get 12-15k now. I am not riding this tire to Tennessee and back for sure.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:46:14 AM »

I have been using Dunlop American elite for years and no problems. I would show that to them you might have a strange problem.
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »

With that much tread left it is a tire defect.  With 10k miles doubt you can get any warranty on it.  Worst part is the failure looks to be very dangerous - it does look like a tire gator.

Would see what dealer says, worth a shot.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »

Threephase it is a good thing you pay attention to your bike...That could of been bad!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »

I have been using Dunlop American elite for years and no problems. I would show that to them you might have a strange problem.

I've been riding with Dunlops for several decades and only one tire where the tread wore from the center of the tire to the left but no wear on the right side of the tire.

I would send those pics to Dunlop.....they should warranty that tire.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:19:51 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »

pretty common actually.  been seeing a lot more of those types of issues lately.  mine did that a couple of years ago and i tried to go through warranty on the tire.  dunlop never even responded to my issue.  that's when i decided no more dunlops for me and went with the avon cobra chromes.  i really liked those tires.  granted, new tires always feel awesome, but they felt better than the dunlops did when they were new.  the only thing i couldn't really get a gauge on was longevity as my bike got totaled before the tires even had 5k on them.  but, when these tires need replacing, i am going with the avons again.

With that much tread left it is a tire defect.  With 10k miles doubt you can get any warranty on it.  Worst part is the failure looks to be very dangerous - it does look like a tire gator.

Would see what dealer says, worth a shot.

the dunlop warranty is not mileage based, but time and tread wear based.  if you have more than what they consider 'worn out', and the tire is not 6 years old, then you should get at least 50% towards a new tire, labor not included.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/warranty-info/
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »

pretty common actually.  been seeing a lot more of those types of issues lately.  mine did that a couple of years ago and i tried to go through warranty on the tire.  dunlop never even responded to my issue.  that's when i decided no more dunlops for me and went with the avon cobra chromes.  i really liked those tires.  granted, new tires always feel awesome, but they felt better than the dunlops did when they were new.  the only thing i couldn't really get a gauge on was longevity as my bike got totaled before the tires even had 5k on them.  but, when these tires need replacing, i am going with the avons again.

the dunlop warranty is not mileage based, but time and tread wear based.  if you have more than what they consider 'worn out', and the tire is not 6 years old, then you should get at least 50% towards a new tire, labor not included.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/warranty-info/

Same issue & Dunlop would not warranty the tire?  Sad.  Keep us posted on how those Avons wear, etc.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »

it's gonna be a little while before i get to that point again.  after i had replaced the dunlops with the avons, i had less than 5000 miles on them when some asshat decided to rearend me, totaling the bike.  picked up a new bike last april, and haven't put but 8,000 miles on it so far.  i typically got about 20k from the dunlops, so i don't anticipate changing them until spring/summer of 2021 (unless these tires start having an issue, i hate to just toss good rubber for no reason)....  but i already know that it won't be dunlops when i do.  i plan on the avons.  they had a very nice ride, and good wet performance too.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »

They've had a boatload of problems with their dual compound tires, and not just on Harley's.  In theory the idea is good, the problem is in the manufacturing details.  Look how long people were living with uneven wear and scalloping on the edges (where the tread compounds joined).  Once again, not just Harley.  I read complaints on forums for other brands about the same problem in the same time frame. 

Based on the tire mileage reported here and elsewhere, when they make them right the theory is proved out, with much better tire life than the old 402's.  In some cases I've seen reports of nearly double the mileage compared to those old single compound tires, and most people are reporting a 50% improvement.  Now if they just fixed the manufacturing variability issues and stopped price gouging they might have the best tire Harley has ever offered on their bikes.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sruth929

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »

The tread pattern is the worst for cupping/ uneven edge wear. I had a rear tire cup on one side only! This needs fixed. My rear tire is cupping and I keep the air pressure on the high side hoping it will last longer and cup less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »

I've tortured Dunlops for ever. I haven't had the first problem yet.
John
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.