Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stiffer shocks increase rear tire wear?  (Read 1124 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Stiffer shocks increase rear tire wear?
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:32:28 PM »

Stiffer shocks reduce Death Wobble from my experience but it increases rear tire wear? I can't get good mileage out of any rear tire. I check air pressure every week. Tire bounce on a driven wheel makes lose of traction and the tire is constantly slipping as going forward. Do I reduce spring tension and decrease rebound?
  I narrowed tire choice to three tires. American Elite,
ME888 Ultra or Comander 3.
130mm 16" tire. 98 RK. Thanks

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: Stiffer shocks increase rear tire wear?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 03:47:17 AM »

Just make sure your Metzeler choice is not made in Brazil. There have been several issues experienced with them. European made ones are fine and the ones I use. 

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »

Everything has a bit of a give and take, but shocks with a firmer attitude are designed to keep the tire in contact with the road, but again too firm, like riding a "rigid", the tire becomes your suspension. I think maybe a bit less rebound may ease on your firmness. Too little air pressure in the tire causes cupping, too much adds to the bouncing. With your better shocks, has your confidence gotten better to the point of pushing the ol' gal a bit harder? And one more point to ponder...engine braking, always harder on a tire, but saves on your brakes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »

Everything has a bit of a give and take, but shocks with a firmer attitude are designed to keep the tire in contact with the road, but again too firm, like riding a "rigid", the tire becomes your suspension. I think maybe a bit less rebound may ease on your firmness. Too little air pressure in the tire causes cupping, too much adds to the bouncing. With your better shocks, has your confidence gotten better to the point of pushing the ol' gal a bit harder? And one more point to ponder...engine braking, always harder on a tire, but saves on your brakes.

Brake pads are a lot cheaper than engine parts.  Just saying.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

Absolutely...I just added a note of sarcasm. I should have put a question mark behind it!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »

Brake pads are a lot cheaper than engine parts.  Just saying.

Jerry

I have never had an engine part fail due to engine braking on any of my Harleys.  I'm a high milage rider, average 24K miles a year.  The new in 2013 slipper clutch does help with this.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »

I have never had an engine part fail due to engine braking on any of my Harleys.  I'm a high milage rider, average 24K miles a year.  The new in 2013 slipper clutch does help with this.

It depends on how hard you ride I suppose Dave.  If you bang some hard downshifts and over-rev the engine, which I've seen some people do over the years, you can do a lot of damage when valves contact other parts.  Even if you don't abuse the engine that much, constant hard engine braking will cause more wear over time than just using the brakes.  It's a matter of degree, normal engine braking no problem, constant hard engine braking will cause more wear and tear of parts.  That's all I meant in my first post.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »

I drive Conservatively most of the time, never a wheelie or burnout on this Road King. I let off the throttle to assist slowing down along with using both brakes. I don't downshift to make motor rev in the lower gear. I do have some extra weight on bike with some tools, spare gallon of gas, 18 lb chain/lock combo. I grew up in N.O. and grew up on Shovelheads so I carry a 20 lb tool bag. Weight is distributed evenly on left right saddlebags.
I have reset the rebound two clicks softer. Will ride next week when the stormy weather stops.
Thanks Guys

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »

It depends on how hard you ride I suppose Dave.  If you bang some hard downshifts and over-rev the engine, which I've seen some people do over the years, you can do a lot of damage when valves contact other parts.  Even if you don't abuse the engine that much, constant hard engine braking will cause more wear over time than just using the brakes.  It's a matter of degree, normal engine braking no problem, constant hard engine braking will cause more wear and tear of parts.  That's all I meant in my first post.

Jerry

I do not beat on or abuse my bikes.  I may push them a little but never over rev.  I do not due burn outs.  Ride 90% of the time between 2000 and 3500 RPM.  A down shift rarely brings it over 3000 rpm.  I do like to be right around 3000 rpm entering hard curves or corners for plenty of power.  I also am rarely very hard on my bike going up the gears.  On rare occasion I will race some one, but no wot shifts or clutches shifts.  I have enough power to destroy 3rd gear, or a belt. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.