Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Michelin Commanders Will Not Seat  (Read 1093 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Michelin Commanders Will Not Seat
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »

After reading good reviews on the Michelin Commanders I decided to go with them instead of Dunlops.  The only problem, the shop cannot get them to seat.  He purchased a bead blaster...no luck.  He said he's seen this before on Michelins but was able to eventually get them on using a bead blaster.  I'm running the stock 2006 CVO rims that were used for at least 3 years during that period.  Has anyone else experienced this problem before?  He's got one more trick up sleeve and will try it tonight.  If that don't work it's order another set of tires (I'm in Germany and will not pay their prices so I rely on mail order) or I pull the valve stems and go with tubes.  He said he can get tubes with 90 degree angles.  What I don't know though is can the valve stem be removed and reinstalled later or once it's removed am I on tubes forever. Never seen the back side of the rim. Leaning towards biting the bullet and ordering Dunlops again.  It's killing me.  Long weekend, perfect riding weather over here now and my bike in on a lift in the garage with no wheels on it.  Time for some of Deutsch's finest  :drink:

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
Re: Michelin Commanders Will Not Seat
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »

If you went tubes you could always go back tubeless.. I've never had a tire I couldn't air up.. The Commanders are great..   Good Luck..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »

Dealership had no problem with the front tire on my '07 but could not get the rear to seat.  They took the wheel to an auto shop who was able to get it to seat.  Don't know exactly what a 'bead blaster' is but sounds like what they used.  They explained that they needed a big blast of air and their shop's compressor did not have the reserve capacity I guess to provide enough at one time.

When I had the Michelins installed on my '12 I took it to an indy - an auto tire shop who also sells and installs motorcycle tires.  They had no problem at all.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Shop was finally able to get the tires to seat.  He ended up using a ring that sits on the tire, forcing the bead on the other side against the rim.  The ring forms a seal between the tire and rim.  He modified the bead blaster so he could shoot the air into the valve stem (minus the valve.)  Put a couple hundred miles on the tires this weekend.  :2vrolijk_21:

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »

Only time I ever had a problem with tire not wanting to seal on the bead was when i was outta bead lube. Don't be sparingly with it. It will pop right on with lube. I've put two sets of commando's on and never had a problem.

2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.