Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When to do a base line Dyno..  (Read 1252 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
When to do a base line Dyno..
« on: February 27, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »

With regards to a brand new SEFB and a stock engine (except the exhaust pipes), when is the earliest a dyno could be run? I get the feeling I should wait as I have witnessed the stress of a dyno on my Eclipse Spyder recently. The tuner pushed my Spyder way more than I ever have had the guts to do. Is this the same with all types of dyno's?

I am just reaching 500 miles today. Do you wait until certain miles are achieved? Or until certain services are performed?

Can you tell I am a newbie yet?

Thanks.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: When to do a base line Dyno..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:38:47 AM »

Kona76 - the dyno man is going to take your new bike to max revs in (probably) every gear.

In theory this should do no damage because the bike's electronics will limit the revs so it doesn't fly apart

but

How have you been running it for the past 500 miles?

Based on what you say, you sound like a conservative rider (like me)

I would be wary of letting the tuner loose to max out the bike until I had at least been there myself.

In any case I suggest you don't observe the dyno runs (go far enough away so you can't even hear it) otherwise you are going to be a nervous wreck (I could hardly stand it when he did mine and that was with 6000+ miles on it)

But if you don't watch him then every little noise you hear from then on you are going to be thinking was caused by "that guy who f*cked up my beautiful brand new bike" - this will just be your imagination of course - but you get the idea...

Just my tuppenceworth

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:29:06 AM »

Kona76,

Just a general rule of thumb, no dyno runs under 500 miles, and 1000 miles would be better.  Full throttle max load dyno runs generate a lot of heat, and you don't want that until the pistons and rings are broken in completely.  And I agree with the previous post - don't hang around to watch the dyno run or it will probably drive you crazy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 03:00:41 PM »

....And I agree with the previous post - don't hang around to watch the dyno run or it will probably drive you crazy.

Jerry

I'm at the opposite end of this spectrum. I would rather watch the dyno being run on my bike. This will give me the opportunity to make sure it's done right.

Things I Watch For...

Bike warmed up before run
Proper ventilation during run (fan blowing on motor)
Make sure no shifts are missed
Any abnormal smoke coming from exhaust during acceleration and deceleration
Any parts flying out exhaust (don't want anything in the engine to let loose and come flying out and I'm not advised of it)
Listen for any abnormal sounds coming from bike

But I'm the type of person that doesn't like to go to sleep during surgery. Have a fear of the "wrong" procedure being done while I'm knocked out. [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 05:49:57 AM »

OK, thank you for the advice. I'll wait for the first 1000 miles and the first tune up from the dealer. I don't know if I am going to witness the craziness in person, but I am going to get it dyno'd with in the next couple of weeks. I am already at 650miles and I can't wait to get it dialed in just right.

Thanks everybody.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:28:48 AM »

There is another theory on engine break-in.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 05:52:47 AM »

I will be doing this break in procedure on my 04 SEEG this spring when I put my 103+ heads, forged pistons and 251 cams in it.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »

You obviously have the faith and courage to test such proceedures. I am sure the process will work as expected. But I think it takes guts to experiment like that with such big ticket items as HD CVO's and the inheirant high cost of parts.

To me it isn't very risky.  I am a powertrain engineer in an engine plant so I know the new processes that are used for manufacturing engines.  With that said though I would not do this break in procedure with a set of cylinders that are rehoned by your local speed shop.  They most likely wont have plateau honing processes.  

Here is a definition of what plateau honing is.

Plateau Honing is a special cylinder honing process that effectively "pre wears" the cylinder bore similar to the way that a piston ring "breaks in" the cylinder during the first phase of its life cycle. The plateau honing process takes the tops off of the hatch pattern and increases the bearing area of the honed surface.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.