Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 80883 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:37 PM »

Well first off, you should know that I had no plans to retire until I was 65, but have had it forced on me due to physical reasons. I have some investments, but no where near what I'd hoped would be in place 10 years from now. As such, what I do have I don't have the luxury of playing games with. Also, with the housing market being what it is, selling my house would not net me anywhere near what it should until things improve greatly. But that was a part of the retirement plan as the house is about 3 times what my wife and I need. So I guess sit tight may well be the best course of action. HOWEVER, I am known as a person who makes chit happen, so sitting around doing nothing is not exactly my forte.
B B

These are not mutually exclusive.  I sit around AND made chit happen right after my 1st sip of coffee.

You're in a tough situation.  Seems there is little choice but to sit it out and wait for the market to recover.  Being forced into retirement is not fun but look at as an opportunity to do something different.  Shouldn't take long for the market to recover.  Election years are great that way.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »

These are not mutually exclusive.  I sit around AND made chit happen right after my 1st sip of coffee.

You're in a tough situation.  Seems there is little choice but to sit it out and wait for the market to recover.  Being forced into retirement is not fun but look at as an opportunity to do something different.  Shouldn't take long for the market to recover.  Election years are great that way.

i think the correction is going to be long and painful. We have allowed our governement to create one of the largest asset-bubbles over the past 20 years and its going to take a long time to sort out. fundamentally, we need to live within our means and that is something that is very difficult for us to do as a country.  We either have to admit that we cant meet the promises we make and reset expectations now or found ourselves a bankrupt country.  We just dont produce enough of what the rest of the world wants to work our way out of this mess without significantly cutting back on expenses.

free

vagabond6542

« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »

If you want to get a wake up call in the morning while sipping your coffee.
Watch CNBC, Lately there have been some heavy hitters bitting the dust.
If this doesn't correct itself soon, we could be visiting 1929 again.
Just my .02 cents.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2008, 12:21:05 AM »

Sure, we can have some Chithead talk at the cookout next Friday, especially since we'll both be wearing our Chithead-wear (Honda shirts)! ;D

Hey, can you arrange a 'Group Buy' on the Honda shirts??? :huepfenlol2:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »

First Bear Stearns, then Fannie/Freddie, Now Lehman and Merril Lynch, soon AIG and Washington Mutual! All these brilliant capitalists with the benign neglect from the Bush whitehouse have brought the financial institutions to their knees by their greed and incompetence. Taxpayers have been put on the hook for about $400 b already in rescuing some of these institutions. And all you geniuses want to elect McCain whose chief financial guru said America was in a "mental recession", who himself said he "doesnt understand the economy very well". Between just the firms I listed above, there will be approximately 60k jobs lost in the next 60 days. Oh yeah, somehow someone will blame the democrats for exerting bad karma over GWB's ability to govern! Unemployment has gone from 4% to 6.1% and rising, dollar has been devalued by 40%, surplus's have become massive deficits, your 401k is tanking and we want to give the republicans another 4 years?

Well lets not talk about how Clinton signed in the NAFTA. That has nothing to do with how the economy is doing. Lets also not talk about how Mr. Clinton opened up our borders and let all of these terrorist in and even helped pay  for their training to learn fly 2 planes into the Twin Towers and 1 into The Pentagon and a 4th plane they had to shoot down to stop another attack on Washington DC.

There is no need trying to put blame on the Republicans or the Democrats. All Politicians SUCK!!!!!

How can you tell if a Politician is lying????? Their lips are moving!!!!!

It is not a perfect world. Suck it up!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:00:16 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2008, 08:05:33 AM »

Anyone who has ridden a motorcycle in less than 40 states is a pansy!

I represent that!!!!!! Do I have to be a Pansy??????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Gonna be a lot of posts in this thread boy'o (did that sound like John Wayne?)
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »

Hey Howie.  I think that dino oil is absolute crap and you're a total freaking moron for ever switching out the synthetic.  Unless it works.  Then you were a total freaking moron for using the overpriced synthetic crap to begin with.  And, by the way, you're ugly and Binx dresses you funny.  Any more thoughts on the controls for Joy?

You mean Howie doesn't dress himself??????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »

Well lets not talk about how Clinton signed in the NAFTA. That has nothing to do with how the economy is doing. Lets also not talk about how Mr. Clinton opened up our borders and let all of these terrorist in and even helped pay  for their training to learn fly 2 planes into the Twin Towers and 1 into The Pentagon and a 4th plane they had to shoot down to stop another attack on Washington DC.

There is no need trying to put blame on the Republicans or the Democrats. All Politicians SUCK!!!!!

How can you tell if a Politician is lying????? Their lips are moving!!!!!

It is not a perfect world. Suck it up!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Good Morning Mike  ;)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »

Don,

Bravo my friend.  But you'd better be careful.  You're showing an intelligent, thoughtful and insightful side that may cause people to not underestimate you in the future.  Bad JuJu.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Now although I am not a financial expert I do work at a Financial Services firm.  Let me sum up.  If you regulate the market, we all lose.  If you deregulate the market most of us lose in the short term.  If you elect a republican - no change.  If you elect a democrat - no change.  If you wait patiently, invest prudently over the long term,  You make a little bit.  No one get's rich.  No one get's poor.  Only those near retirement ultimatly suffer in these panic driven market fluctuations... Oh yeah, we ride Harley's so we're all old and near retirement.  AAAAAYYYYYY  run for the hills.  Get the guns.  SELL SELL SELL Mortimar.

Invest Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »

Good Morning Mike  ;)
[/color]

Sorry Howie JUST VENTING!!!!!!

Came into work this morning and walked into a knife fight at 0530hrs. One transported to the Hospital and one on Admin leave!!!!!

What a way to start your day.

Oh YES they were both employees!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »

cash out, turn into gold, stock up on ammo (already am)

the rest to be determined.

arree matey

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Sean M Cary

« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »

[/color]

Sorry Howie JUST VENTING!!!!!!

Came into work this morning and walked into a knife fight at 0530hrs. One transported to the Hospital and one on Admin leave!!!!!

What a way to start your day.

Oh YES they were both employees!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

sweet...  nothing like a little unity exercise first thing in the a.m.

Least they were trading bullets I guess!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »

...................Now although I am not a financial expert I do work at a Financial Services firm.  Let me sum up.  If you regulate the market, we all lose.  If you deregulate the market most of us lose in the short term.  If you elect a republican - no change.  If you elect a democrat - no change.  If you wait patiently, invest prudently over the long term,  You make a little bit.  No one get's rich.  No one get's poor.  Only those near retirement ultimatly suffer in these panic driven market fluctuations... Oh yeah, we ride Harley's so we're all old and near retirement.  AAAAAYYYYYY  run for the hills.  Get the guns.  SELL SELL SELL Mortimar.

Invest Safe,
J-Carr

As noted by DCFIREMANN, if a politician's lips are moving, he's lying.  As a matter of fact, if a politician is just breathing he's most likely thinking about lying.  So yes, I agree that it makes little difference who we elect anymore.  However, I don't believe regulation causes everyone to lose.  For instance, regulations dealing with lending practices were obviously needed to counter the short term greed displayed by those running the mortgage industry as well as the opportunists on Wall Street who enabled them.  The little guys inevitably lose, since the big guys are supposedly smart enough and tuned in enough to move their millions elsewhere.  I've watched 20% of my 401k disappear over the past 10 months, after years of rebuilding it from the losses of the last bubble economy, and I'm starting to get just a little pi$$ed about following all the advice they hand out to the little guys like me and watching it all snatched away time and again.  It's becoming easier for me to understand those folks from the 1930's who just stuffed their money in a mattress.  Didn't make any interest that way, but by the same token they didn't have any shyster's in three piece business attire (or politicians) stealing it either.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

I hope it wasn;t a lovers quarrel.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »

Yes, chocolate donuts are delicious, but I like twinkies for the mere fact that regardless how long they sit on a shelf, the chemical preservatives created by Dr. Evil keep them moist and creamy for fifty to sixty years. I am stocking up on them and bottled antacid water for the inevitable plunge into the dark ages-the days of the knights...

I also proclaim myself emperor of everything, and will now try on my new clothes before carrying my twinkie message out to the masses...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 20 queries.