Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81121 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

Keep your twinkie to yourself and there will be no trouble....

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »

but, isn't it nice to share? Ahhhh...PBC...Potential Bad Creamthingy...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

An emperor who likes chocolate donuts and twinkies & runs around nekkid.

Hmmmmmmm........  sounds like some tv show on the "new fall lineup."
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »

New show on NBC to rival Fx, "Sons Of Krispy Kreme"...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »

Just don't be dissin one of the most regal of breakfoods....The Muffin...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »

I like a muffin, but not just for breakfast.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »

Y'aint seen nothin' till your down on a muffin...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »

The Muffin Man is seated at the table
In the laboratory of the Utility Muffin
Research Kitchen . . .
Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon
He gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants
And brushing his scapular aside
Proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt. . .
He turns to us and speaks:
"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one
Care less for them!"
Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot
of a fully charged icing anointment utensil
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette
Near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin
of his own design.
Later he says: "Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,
While I myself say there is naughl nor ought there be
Nothing so exalted on the faceof God's grey earth
As that prince of foods . . . The Muffin!"

Girl you thoughl he was a man
Bul he was a muffin
He hung around lill you found
That he didn't know nuthin'
Girl you thought he was a man
But he only was a-puffin'
No cries is heard in the night
As a result of him stuffin'

The late great FZ....

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »

As noted by DCFIREMANN, if a politician's lips are moving, he's lying.  As a matter of fact, if a politician is just breathing he's most likely thinking about lying.  So yes, I agree that it makes little difference who we elect anymore.  However, I don't believe regulation causes everyone to lose.  For instance, regulations dealing with lending practices were obviously needed to counter the short term greed displayed by those running the mortgage industry as well as the opportunists on Wall Street who enabled them.  The little guys inevitably lose, since the big guys are supposedly smart enough and tuned in enough to move their millions elsewhere.  I've watched 20% of my 401k disappear over the past 10 months, after years of rebuilding it from the losses of the last bubble economy, and I'm starting to get just a little pi$$ed about following all the advice they hand out to the little guys like me and watching it all snatched away time and again.  It's becoming easier for me to understand those folks from the 1930's who just stuffed their money in a mattress.  Didn't make any interest that way, but by the same token they didn't have any shyster's in three piece business attire (or politicians) stealing it either.

Jerry

Ahh, I'm sorry.  It was just a lead in for the bad "Trading places" joke at the end.  Please disregard and go back to your previously scheduled thread jacking.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

Zappa - now there was a guy who had a way with words.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »

"I've watched 20% of my 401k disappear over the past 10 months, after years of rebuilding it from the losses of the last bubble economy, and I'm starting to get just a little pi$$ed about following all the advice they hand out to the little guys like me and watching it all snatched away time and again.  It's becoming easier for me to understand those folks from the 1930's who just stuffed their money in a mattress."

Time and again....The Ahole from the Lehman that just finished rubbin the firm into the ground has moved into a little beach shack up on the Island, 10 mil.

Poor bastard has felt the sting of the real estate bubble, his NYC apartment is only worth 9 mil, he joint in Conn down to 12 and his place in Idaho on 8...milion that is.. 

How do you regulate that kind of thievery???

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »

"I've watched 20% of my 401k disappear over the past 10 months, after years of rebuilding it from the losses of the last bubble economy, and I'm starting to get just a little pi$$ed about following all the advice they hand out to the little guys like me and watching it all snatched away time and again.  It's becoming easier for me to understand those folks from the 1930's who just stuffed their money in a mattress."

Time and again....The Ahole from the Lehman that just finished rubbin the firm into the ground has moved into a little beach shack up on the Island, 10 mil.

Poor bastard has felt the sting of the real estate bubble, his NYC apartment is only worth 9 mil, he joint in Conn down to 12 and his place in Idaho on 8...milion that is.. 

How do you regulate that kind of thievery???

Thievery, theft, jacking...thread jacking...

About those chocolate covered donuts, are they muffin-related? Is there a familial thread? Is their familial thread jacked?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »

IROAR, will offer the time and respect of one direct response to this thread.  Neal, of course, nailed what was going on 100%.  To fully detail the subject though the nature of the response was even more to the tone of how the topic was started than the topic itself.  That should have been obvious.

Had it been an even moderately thoughtful mention of issues in yesterday's and the recent weeks and months market and other financial troubles nothing would have happened.  We are bright people here capable of having intelligent well minded discussions on a regular basis.  And we do.  We're also bright enough to be bored chitless by drivel.

What was started was not a high minded discussion of financial foibles.  It was a barely-sensical kvetch about administrations and campaigns when everyone realizes that though they get credit and blame for the economy writ large the White House really does not control it.  The thread title might as well have been "I want to bitch about Bush and McCain and this is the reason I'm picking today."  I saw it and suffered an aneurism.  Or had the thought "chit, not another thread like that; isn't enough freaking enough."  The two feel the same.

Given the totality of the response numbers suggest most others felt the same.  And, believe me, I'd have felt exactly the same way if it'd been a thread bitching about Obama and the legislature.  Enough is enough.  We've had good people here saying spurious things to other good people.  Insults have been real.  Enough is enough.

If a discussion of the state of the economy among a bunch of gear heads is important to you go start one.  If it's legimately offered it won't get... um... any more slightly sidetracked than any other tread. 

Rather than having to watch a potential train wreck and once again see friends picking at friends over nonsense you are right.  I purposefully derailed the thread.  With ill intent toward no one.  With ill word not spoken to anyone.  With not a shot fired that wasn't in jest.  Isn't that really a better alternative in this venue than yet another thread about whether some Democrat's daddy can beat up some Republican's?

Having asked that question in closing I'll also say I really am unconcerned about the answer.  As long as we're not bitching at one another I'm satisfied.  That's the end of my part of any serious discussion here.

Don, 
I agree with most everything you said in support of your decision to dilute, obscure or whatever you wish to call the effect of your actions. However, we already have published rules for posting which we all agreed to abide by as a condition to membership.   You have added an additional layer of requirements which are based on the specific subjective judgments you employed in making the call to hijack the thread.   Again, I agree that the choice of words and phrases suggested the thread was going to go downhill fast; but, I thought the mods should, under the rules of the cite, step in if appropriate. 
If each of us employs our own individual smell test and then decides to take action we end up with many different standards for posting which can't be a good thing in the long run. 
November 4th will soon be here and with it the collective BP of this cite will diminish.  Then we can all get back to bitchin about the quality of the MOCO products.   
Friendship, Brotherhood and Motorcycles forever.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »

market down 450 today , gold up $80.00 :nixweiss:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »

Don, 
I agree with most everything you said in support of your decision to dilute, obscure or whatever you wish to call the effect of your actions. However, we already have published rules for posting which we all agreed to abide by as a condition to membership.   You have added an additional layer of requirements which are based on the specific subjective judgments you employed in making the call to hijack the thread.   Again, I agree that the choice of words and phrases suggested the thread was going to go downhill fast; but, I thought the mods should, under the rules of the cite, step in if appropriate. 
If each of us employs our own individual smell test and then decides to take action we end up with many different standards for posting which can't be a good thing in the long run.  
November 4th will soon be here and with it the collective BP of this cite will diminish.  Then we can all get back to bitchin about the quality of the MOCO products.   
Friendship, Brotherhood and Motorcycles forever.

:2vrolijk_21:  Well said.   If each of us decides to apply his or her own standards to each thread, and then hijack the ones we don't like, this place is going to go straight in the dumper.  For instance, I've never cared much for Softails, so I guess I could highjack all the Softail threads.  Of course, the Softail guys would most likely retaliate by highjacking the threads I do like.  

Stick to the rules of posting and let the mods decide which, if any, posts or threads get the heave-ho.  If the membership wants to start it's own censorship through highjack, then we at least need to have equal representation.  Highjacking just the threads that attack the Shrub and his rich cronies, or that support a more liberal view in general, is just a tad highhanded in my opinion.  If it's going to be mob rule, we should at least agree to import enough liberals and moderates to make it a fair fight.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 59

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.