Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81121 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #345 on: September 19, 2008, 12:14:28 AM »

With the fiduciary responsibilities I took on recently with my Mom's affairs and my own investments, I'm into numbers high enough that the recent losses in the market have been painful, very painful. No disrespect intended here, but I'm looking for words of wisdom from folks who are actually losing money as I am and not discussion from somebody with no stake in the game.

B B 

Well, my ex was a pretty wise investor, dealing with Blue Cross pension funding, and she always said stick it out for the long term, IF you have invested in good comapanies.  It'll bounce back, given enough time.  10-12% return over the long haul...over the short haul, you gotta' be lucky.  If stock brokers know so damn much, they wouldn't be stock brokers.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

vagabond6542

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:47 AM »

With the fiduciary responsibilities I took on recently with my Mom's affairs and my own investments, I'm into numbers high enough that the recent losses in the market have been painful, very painful. No disrespect intended here, but I'm looking for words of wisdom from folks who are actually losing money as I am and not discussion from somebody with no stake in the game.

B B 

Spiderman,

I can identify with your situation. I am on a trust that started in 1975 and was passed on to me after my father's death. I have had in depth telcoms with the Present Administrator of the Trust about the present market.
Bank of America Private Client section is the Trust Officers.  I have seen as much as 100K lost in the last 30 to 90 days. You have to get use to it. It will come back later, when the market "heals" itself. If the Institution that is investing is conservative in its moves of investment, you will come out fairly OK. But you will get burned a little. My stake in this game is It is my only money source.

Vagabond
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:02:48 AM by vagabond6542 »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »

I thought this was the chocolate pudding thread! :confused5: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yeah, what's with all the thread jacking to $$$$ talk?  :soapbox:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »

I thought this was the chocolate pudding thread! :confused5: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

It might as well be the chocolate pudding thread.  Nobody has a clue as to what is about to happen to the stock market, and that's the truth.

Back in 1989 (1987, I forget?) when we had a market crash of 500 or so points, I cashed out & put my money elsewhere.  Dumbest thing I could have done at the time & by the time I got back into the market, it had already risen significantly.  I had put the money in bonds, so did not lose anything, but the rate of return sucked.  Lost substantial $$ in that market crash as a result of bailing out.

Paid off our credit cards after that & have kept monthly revolving credit (car payments, etc.) to a minimum since then.  Almost to the point where we will not need to borrow money for any vehicle purchase in the foreseeable future.  Drove older cars that were paid for to get to that spot & I am sick of paying interest.  Would rather receive interest on my investments.  

We paid the house off a few years ago.  Have looked at some real estate investments since, but have not bought anything.  Turned out to be smart - each & every one of them is worth less than we would have paid for it several years ago.  Would have lost major bucks, so waiting out a ridiculous real estate market spike proved out to be the right thing to do.  I watched a boom/bust real estate cycle in Texas back in the 70's & 80's & the recent one here in Florida smelled exactly like that.  So we are still watching some real estate & when it looks closer to the bottom (sometime in 2009 maybe) we will buy.  

On the stock market - lost some major dinero this week & over the past few weeks.  Have not done anything but watch it.  My bet is the market will stabilize.  Sure as hell hope so.  Not happy about it but from past experience cashing out just shorts me on any market uptick & I cannot time it very well.  Wish I could.  Folks that say they can - lucky them.  Plan to divert some bucks into real estate after the real estate market finishes tanking to hedge my bets as to investments.  

Anyway, decided I still like chocolate pudding & I know a lot more about that than the stock market.  Did not see/hear anybody predicting this type downturn, but figure a few talky heads will come out & claim they did.  Some were calling for this to happen back in 2000, so their timing kinda stinks, IMHO.  

Jello is good, too.  :2vrolijk_21:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »

Yeah, what's with all the thread jacking to $$$$ talk?  :soapbox:

I am investing in pudding.   shhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

;D

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2008, 07:03:26 AM »

B B...I've never in my lifetime been fortunate enough to have enough money to invest in the stock market, other than through TIAA-CREF, or because my ex was a trust officer for a very large bank, and I gained a bit of knowledge through osmosis.  I have a meager state pension and am still working.

Most of my comments are from a philisophical point of view, just to add a different perspective, as I've been at both ends of the spectrum.

Basically, I'm just an old, Happy Hippie, if that lends any qualitative assistance.

I love it Terry!!!

Up here they would just call you a FREEZE DRIED HIPPIE

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2008, 07:14:50 AM »

Well I have just sat back and watched the market. Till last night. Then I got on line a checked to see where I am in all of this BS that is going on. I have lost almost 40%, but plan to leave everything where it is. I will be 55 in a couple of weeks so if I wanted to cash out now it would cost me out the A$$. In a couple of weeks though it may be a different story!!!!

BB I feel your pain. The only Good thing I have going for me is my GREAT District of Columbia Retirement Plan. It too is backed by the the FEDS!!!!!!

life goes on AND IT IS TIME TO RIDE!!!!

BTW has anyone looked at the weather for the MV weekend. it is getting closer and they are calling for rain!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:51 AM »

Well I have just sat back and watched the market. Till last night. Then I got on line a checked to see where I am in all of this BS that is going on. I have lost almost 40%, but plan to leave everything where it is. I will be 55 in a couple of weeks so if I wanted to cash out now it would cost me out the A$$. In a couple of weeks though it may be a different story!!!!

BB I feel your pain. The only Good thing I have going for me is my GREAT District of Columbia Retirement Plan. It too is backed by the the FEDS!!!!!!

life goes on AND IT IS TIME TO RIDE!!!!

BTW has anyone looked at the weather for the MV weekend. it is getting closer and they are calling for rain!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

That's about it Mike! Long term $$$! Let it ride! And LET'S RIDE!!!

And it was 38 when I got up. I'm in MA and leaving for Augusta shortly! Waiting for a bit of warmth right now! Forgot there's only 3 seasons up here, July, August, and WINTER!!! It's a damn frozen tundra!!! Prolly at freezing in ME. Leaving bet 8-9 now! FTC!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »

Have a safe trip Howie, I'll be logging on to the web tune....

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »

Have a safe trip Howie, I'll be logging on to the web tune....

Thanks Mike! Prolly won't get there til close to noon now. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #355 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »

Even at Howie speed???

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »

Can we talk about gum now?  I like Juicy Fruit & Double Bubble.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:54 AM »

Feh! Gum! I scoff at your gum!  Why gum when there are puffins to obsess about...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »

Can we talk about gum now?  I like Juicy Fruit & Double Bubble.

Bubble Yum with Spider eggs and Space Rocks!!

Arrrrrggggghhhhhh

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »

Puffins...attracted to bright lights will often flock in closely and with such velocity that many will crash and loose their lives...what was that about the pudding again?
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.