Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81128 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »

i am afraid we have gotten away from the traditional values of thrift and savings. It used to be that we would take on debt in tough times to prime the pump and then pay it off in better times when we had surpluses. We did that throughout most of the 20th century. then sometime after Vietnam, our government decided that it wanted "guns and butter" because heck, and we started taking on debt.  Well, debt not a bad thing if its used to increase productivity (build factories, improve transportation infrastructure, education etc.), but when its used to finance consumer consumption, it takes us down the path we are on today.  i personally think that our elected officials are mostly the same (republican vs. Democrats). Republicans tend to borrow and spend and democrats tended to tax and spend, but either way, they all wanted "guns and butter" - they all wanted everything - because frankly, most people vote for someone who gives them something (war, entitlements, education - whatever you care about).  And as the government started spending with reckless abandon, wall street was more than eager to make money on the borrowing and spending. I dont necessarily blame wall street and all their greed but our government for encouraging this reckless behaviour (mainly by keeping interest rates so low and creating agencies to lend money to people for homes).  I agree with Jerry on the moral hazard we are creating as well as the amount of money its going to cost us and our kids.  Whatever the politicians say, you may as well multiply by 10. They were wrong with what it costs us in Vietnam by an order of magnitude, they were wrong on Iraq and they will be wrong on how much it will cost us to bail out these reckless companies. Its also not fair to those that have pulled back and not taken the excessive risk that these bad companies took.

JMO

Free

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

I said this on another thread awhile back. It would seem that the folks in charge of managing the Fed as well as the world bank are not concerned with the USA being somewhere around 4 or 5 Trillion in debt. So I ask myself why should I ?

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »

How is it different than unemployment tax that goes to mostly (probably over 95%) lazy a$$es that don't wanna work?

:deal2: :furious2: :beadyeyes: :lipsrsealed2:
You have to have worked and lost your job to collect unemployment tax, and employers pay into that fund.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2008, 06:44:45 PM »

I said this on another thread awhile back. It would seem that the folks in charge of managing the Fed as well as the world bank are not concerned with the USA being somewhere around 4 or 5 Trillion in debt. So I ask myself why should I ?

B B

because frankly you are smarter than them and dont have any conflicts of interest.

free

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »

by the way, based on what i have heard from many members of this forum, i suspect the combined wisdom of the members here are smarter than all the politicians and wall street executives.

Free

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #455 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »

B B

Four to five $T?  Current legislated debit limit is $10.6T and part of the new bill that will be pending next week will be a raise to that limit of $11.3T or more.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

$11,300,000,000,000.00

>:(

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #457 on: September 21, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »

Four to five $T?  Current legislated debit limit is $10.6T and part of the new bill that will be pending next week will be a raise to that limit of $11.3T or more.

Sorry
       I guess I was just adding up the spending spree that started with fiscal year 08

Of course I knew one of you would correct me. I'm what they refer to in show business as the "set-up guy "

Bada Boom

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #458 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Sorry
       I guess I was just adding up the spending spree that started with fiscal year 08

Of course I knew one of you would correct me. I'm what they refer to in show business as the "set-up guy "

Bada Boom

B B

and yet still OIF/GWOT is less then 5% of the total US GDP...  WWII was 45%, Korea 30%, Vietnam 15%, Desert Storm 10%...

So love the folks who blame the war for dragging us into debt.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #459 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »

Actually DC   Bush the elder was responsible for NAFTA,  Slick Willie climbed aboard that bus which is how the two of them became cordial enough to work together for Katrina relief.

B B

Actually Brian Mr Clinton signed the NAFTA agreement into law!!!!! I think Mr. Clinton also made the statement that everyone should own a house. I think we are getting ready to pay for that one also.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #461 on: September 21, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »

Actually Brian Mr Clinton signed the NAFTA agreement into law!!!!! I think Mr. Clinton also made the statement that everyone should own a house. I think we are getting ready to pay for that one also.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Confusion comes from the fact that Bush signed the treaty, and Clinton signed the actual bill.  Following from wikipedia:

NAFTA was initially pursued by politicians in the United States and Canada supportive of free trade, led by Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, and the Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari. The three countries signed NAFTA in December 1992, subject to ratification by the legislatures of the three countries. There was considerable opposition in all three countries. In the United States, NAFTA was able to secure passage after Bill Clinton made its passage a major legislative priority in 1993. Since the agreement had been signed by Bush under his fast-track prerogative, Clinton did not alter the original agreement, but complemented it with the aforementioned NAAEC and NAALC.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »

Confusion comes from the fact that Bush signed the treaty, and Clinton signed the actual bill.  Following from wikipedia:

NAFTA was initially pursued by politicians in the United States and Canada supportive of free trade, led by Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, and the Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari. The three countries signed NAFTA in December 1992, subject to ratification by the legislatures of the three countries. There was considerable opposition in all three countries. In the United States, NAFTA was able to secure passage after Bill Clinton made its passage a major legislative priority in 1993. Since the agreement had been signed by Bush under his fast-track prerogative, Clinton did not alter the original agreement, but complemented it with the aforementioned NAAEC and NAALC.

Jerry

You may respectfully retract previous eronious statements on a one time free pass DC  :P

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #463 on: September 21, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »

3 days away, and it ain't about chocolate pudding no more. Great! Don't have to look anymore now! 1 less thing to keep up with! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2008, 06:56:56 AM »

You may respectfully retract previous erroneous statements on a one time free pass DC  :P

B B

BB I want to save the free pass for later as I may need it.

But Mr. Clinton did sign it into law!!!!!!

Thanks Jerry for setting the record straight.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 59

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.