Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81124 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #720 on: October 06, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

Hope the high yield stocks keep yielding, take the divi's and batten down on the valuation...
It is tough for me not to buy a little brk-b today with some cvx and bac thrown in for the yield...

If this is advice, you'd be doing me a service to say it in English

Sorry, don't mean to be a wisea$$, but I have no clue what you're saying

Thanks
           B b

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #721 on: October 06, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »

I thought you BOTH speak "New England"  :)
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #722 on: October 06, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »

Sorry.  

High yield stocks pay a dividend regardless of what the value of the stock does (given price on any day).
For example;

BAC is the abbreviation on the exchange for Bank of America, I have gathered quite a bit over the years(20).  
It pays a dividend of $2.5 something cents per share held and at todays per share price of around $32, that is over a 7% yield and is pretty secure.  In the early 90's I bought some at $10 and it promptly dropped like a rock to 3 or 5 bucks, it happened to me with Apple too.  I sure wanted to sell and lick my wounds but I stayed the course and am better off for it.

It is disturbing to watch the valuation(stock price) of the stocks plummet like they have, especially if you must sell them. If the portfolio has some solid dividend paying stocks in it, you just have to try and ride the storm out.  I am afraid this one is going to be here a while. I sometimes buy small amounts when the markets get like this, I have not seen it like this since 2000.

Death and taxes are all we are truly guaranteed, unfortunately.

And if I were so danged smart and could offer real good advice, I wouldn't be on this website while at WORK... :P

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #723 on: October 06, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »

I thought you BOTH speak "New England"  :)

Gawd No Jimbo...

BB is a from up theya somewhere nawth of Charlestown and I am from southie, 2 different worlds...

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #724 on: October 06, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

Kramer of Mad Money advised viewers to sell stock if you needed the money within the next 5 years.  I guess he is not seeing a recovery for awhile.  He had previously said that  the Dow was going down to around 8200
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #725 on: October 06, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »

Thats a good sign...He is the ultimate contrarian!

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #726 on: October 06, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »

Thats a good sign...He is the ultimate contrarian!
Hey Miker, I have a GREAT idea. :2vrolijk_21: Rather than loose all that money why not just LEND me a couple hundred thousand and I"ll give it back to you (maybe) sometime. KB :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
kb

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #727 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

I'd love to but I am dick and todays money is already gone, that was what I would have given you, too bad, so sad.
All these equities are being sold but they have to be sold to someone though ...
Volume ain't too high for sucha "selloff"...

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."  JH

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #728 on: October 06, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »

wow, what a day, 500 point rally in the last hr and 1/2 to go. now (bac) bank america reports 3 qtr ( bad news) what a chit show.   i need a beer :drink:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:13:55 PM by 110mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #729 on: October 06, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »

BB,

The only advice I can tell you is to just take a seat and hang on for the ride.  It's going to be a wild one.  The election years have always done crazy things, and this year is going to really make that point.  You should take solace in what your Dad tried to do.  Think where your Mom would be had he NOT done some of what he did.  At least you've got something that will recover, albeit at an unknown time frame.  I thought it was absolutely crazy when the market went above 10k and totally stupid when it crested 12k.  This market adjustment has been a long time in coming.  I just wish I'd paid more attention to my gut.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #730 on: October 06, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »

Man what a rally at the end. It could of really been ugly today!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #731 on: October 06, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »

Sorry.  

High yield stocks pay a dividend regardless of what the value of the stock does (given price on any day).
For example;

BAC is the abbreviation on the exchange for Bank of America, I have gathered quite a bit over the years(20).  
It pays a dividend of $2.5 something cents per share held and at todays per share price of around $32, that is over a 7% yield and is pretty secure.  In the early 90's I bought some at $10 and it promptly dropped like a rock to 3 or 5 bucks, it happened to me with Apple too.  I sure wanted to sell and lick my wounds but I stayed the course and am better off for it.

It is disturbing to watch the valuation(stock price) of the stocks plummet like they have, especially if you must sell them. If the portfolio has some solid dividend paying stocks in it, you just have to try and ride the storm out.  I am afraid this one is going to be here a while. I sometimes buy small amounts when the markets get like this, I have not seen it like this since 2000.

Death and taxes are all we are truly guaranteed, unfortunately.

And if I were so danged smart and could offer real good advice, I wouldn't be on this website while at WORK... :P

Thanks. I called the family financial guy and he is going to get me the numbers on the stocks in the portfolio that pay dividends with falling share prices. The guy thinks I'm pretty smart for asking. (Thanks for that, I needed an ego boost today)  Also, called the family accountant and discussed selling some shares at the end of the year to take a loss equal in value to the tax owed for the year. This was my idea and the accountant also gave me some kudos. So while I didn't really do anything, I did thanks to this site gain a measure of comfort and also made a plan. That's more than I had with my morning coffee earlier.

B B

BigR55

« Reply #732 on: October 06, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »

!

Interesting diagram. This type of coil is used in the magnegas generator. There are two stainless tubes with only a few thousands space between where water is electrolyzed. The gases emitted at the top are subjected to the fields from a toroidal coil to change the hydrogen somehow. The hydrogen and oxygen gases not only burn together bu improve the combustion of the gasoline vapors at the same time. Any physicists on-line who can expand on how this works?
I don't know how this relates to this topic but I like the diagram Miker posted. :P

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #733 on: October 06, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »

Interesting diagram. This type of coil is used in the magnegas generator. There are two stainless tubes with only a few thousands space between where water is electrolyzed. The gases emitted at the top are subjected to the fields from a toroidal coil to change the hydrogen somehow. The hydrogen and oxygen gases not only burn together bu improve the combustion of the gasoline vapors at the same time. Any physicists on-line who can expand on how this works?
I don't know how this relates to this topic but I like the diagram Miker posted. :P

Pretty sure that diagram has something to do with donuts somehow BigR! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BigR55

« Reply #734 on: October 06, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »

Pretty sure that diagram has something to do with donuts somehow BigR! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Let's see..........gases being emmitted........donuts.....cars........ definitley has something to do with the POLICE! :P
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 22 queries.