Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81128 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #735 on: October 06, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Donuts are shaped that way because they are power food!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #736 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »

Thanks. I called the family financial guy and he is going to get me the numbers on the stocks in the portfolio that pay dividends with falling share prices. The guy thinks I'm pretty smart for asking. (Thanks for that, I needed an ego boost today)  Also, called the family accountant and discussed selling some shares at the end of the year to take a loss equal in value to the tax owed for the year. This was my idea and the accountant also gave me some kudos. So while I didn't really do anything, I did thanks to this site gain a measure of comfort and also made a plan. That's more than I had with my morning coffee earlier.

B B

www.sharebuilder.com

I have accounts for both kids, and one for the wife and I, that automatically put money into each month and increase by $25.00 a year - spread over X stocks.  It is a DRP or dividend reinvestment account.  Both kids have accounts and have to split money given to them for birthdays, Christmas, etc.  I make them help me pick the stock given a range of choices.

Usually my stocks are based on Dogs of the Dow.

Dividend reinvestment/compounding interest is fascinating...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #737 on: October 06, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »

Mr. Market giveth.........and.........Mr. Market taketh away.   :'(  aaaaaagh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #738 on: October 06, 2008, 07:02:17 PM »

You ain't whistlin dixie there Spydee old chap!..

Sean M Cary

« Reply #739 on: October 06, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »

Mr. Market giveth.........and.........Mr. Market taketh away.   :'(  aaaaaagh.  spyder

but just think, if someone had the cajones to buy in at the low this morning - you could have make a decent score... 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #740 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »

but just think, if someone had the cajones to buy in at the low this morning - you could have make a decent score... 
Mr. Market got me by the cajones early on.......there wasn't any cash left to buy with... :-[....aaaaaargh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #741 on: October 06, 2008, 08:40:54 PM »

With the news that came out today about Lehman top execs and their bonuses even as the company was going down, perhaps it's time we let the Unabomber out of prison so he can continue his work ?

B B

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #742 on: October 06, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »

Thanks. I called the family financial guy and he is going to get me the numbers on the stocks in the portfolio that pay dividends with falling share prices. The guy thinks I'm pretty smart for asking. (Thanks for that, I needed an ego boost today)  Also, called the family accountant and discussed selling some shares at the end of the year to take a loss equal in value to the tax owed for the year. This was my idea and the accountant also gave me some kudos. So while I didn't really do anything, I did thanks to this site gain a measure of comfort and also made a plan. That's more than I had with my morning coffee earlier.

B B

BB,
You might want to do a bit more research.  The dividend is getting wiped out due to big loses and companies hurting for cash.  BAC (bank of america) went down after the market close and they also cut their dividend. When you get the list, check out those co. charts for last 2 years before pulling trigger.
One good source of information is Barron's weekend edition.  You can get it online every Saturday morning through "NewsStand".  Also you can subscribe to Briefing.com, they have daily market analisys and some very good research tools.
Education is your best friend, and there are a lot of good books and sources out there.  If you don't trust your guy, get a different one.  When you had your medical problem, did you get second opinion from another Dr. or cvo members (no offense to anyone).

Time to get off  :soapbox:

Lack of money is the source of all evils.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #743 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

Hope the high yield stocks keep yielding, take the divi's and batten down on the valuation...
It is tough for me not to buy a little brk-b today with some cvx and bac thrown in for the yield...

Tomorrow I invest in Krispy Kreme.  I plan to purchase one dozen, chocolate iced.  Then I will eat them one by one & if it all goes well after about 6, I will buy a 12 pack of beer later on.   The stock market is not my friend - I plan to invest more wisely in the future in craps or maybe even blackjack.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #744 on: October 06, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »

Tomorrow I invest in Krispy Kreme.  I plan to purchase one dozen, chocolate iced.  Then I will eat them one by one & if it all goes well after about 6, I will buy a 12 pack of beer later on.   The stock market is not my friend - I plan to invest more wisely in the future in craps or maybe even blackjack.
I'm hoping that our market 'bottom' doesn't last as long as Japan's has......I don't have that much time.   :( spyder

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #745 on: October 06, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »

I'm hoping that our market 'bottom' doesn't last as long as Japan's has......I don't have that much time.   :( spyder

Me either Spyder.  My Granddad told us grandkids about putting silver dollars in a mattress at the start of the  the bank crash of 1929.  A wise investor compared to me at this point.....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #746 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:25 AM »

BB,
You might want to do a bit more research.  The dividend is getting wiped out due to big loses and companies hurting for cash.  BAC (bank of america) went down after the market close and they also cut their dividend. When you get the list, check out those co. charts for last 2 years before pulling trigger.
One good source of information is Barron's weekend edition.  You can get it online every Saturday morning through "NewsStand".  Also you can subscribe to Briefing.com, they have daily market analisys and some very good research tools.
Education is your best friend, and there are a lot of good books and sources out there.  If you don't trust your guy, get a different one.  When you had your medical problem, did you get second opinion from another Dr. or cvo members (no offense to anyone).

Time to get off  :soapbox:

Very well said Hunter...Barrons on Saturday.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #747 on: October 07, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »

Invest in liquor, people drink when things are good, and they drink when things are bad, you can't go wrong!  :drink:

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #748 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:38 AM »

Invest in liquor, people drink when things are good, and they drink when things are bad, you can't go wrong!  :drink:

Aboslutely! But I must also agree with the craps/blackjack theory. People gamble in both situations as well...perhaps we should make it a joint-venture-liquor in the front, poker in the rear...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #749 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »

FREE THE UNABOMBER !
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 59

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.