Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lithium Battries for the CVO's  (Read 1422 times)

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

Lithium Battries for the CVO's
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »

Anyone used one of these successfully on their 110?

I contacted the Shorai folks and this is what they told me:

John,

Your motorcycle is at the very limit of our recommendation (110Ci). The starter current should not exceed 50% of the CCA on our biggest battery the LFX36L3-BS12 which has 540CCA, so no more than 270A upon crank.

Since your motor is at the limit, we highly recommend keeping the battery well above 13.2V for cranking.  I personally would get the charger and keep it in store (at 13.3V) then top up with the Charge button to 14.4V before cranking.

When too much current goes through  the battery, or when the motor is cranked when it is very low, it can superheat the small amount of electrolyte and cause steam to pop open the case. It
Non- toxic but it is sticky and can make a mess – plus it won’t work if this happens.

They gave me a lot of other tips but this seems to be a lot of trouble to go through to avoid failure and or explosion.  :-\

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
Re: Lithium Battries for the CVO's
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »

At least he was honest with you and just didn't sell you a battery.  That is good information so if you would see this on another bike you would know what may be going on.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »

My Indy used one of these for a while and here is what he reported to me:
Pro: They are light, weight almost nothing.  He said when the brown truck delivered it he first thought it was an empty box.
Con: Expensive; As a dealer he paid $230 for it so it was more than twice the cost of an AGM battery.  They don't work well in cold weather (north FL).  He said the CCA goes down considerably in temperatures below about 35 degrees.
His Recommendation: Don't buy it.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »

Just put in a Antigravity lithium battery in my bike with the new 124. So far it works terrific. 720 crank amps turns it over insanely fast which I love. Definitely a bunch of money but so is everything else I touch on this da-- bike.. Here is the model I put in.http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-ytx12-24/
Alan

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.