Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutral Rattle Revisited..Round 2  (Read 3537 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Neutral Rattle Revisited..Round 2
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »

Here we go for round 2 of the neutral rattle challenge. In this corner, the Baker Street  Door, in the opposite  corner is the HD cast door. May the best door win!     As some of you remember , I installed the '17 Scissor low gear out of a '17  in my '16 hoping it would reduce or maybe cure the infamous rattle. It didn't make a difference unfortunately. What it did do was make it almost fall into low gear with out the big clunk especially when I used Redline primary fluid, at least I got something out of it ..lol

After talking to both Mark @ Baker and  John Sachs. I found out there are two weak links in the HD 6 speed. Trap door bearings that are moving back and forth and  the main  drive gear. As a lot of you know with all  helical gears ( except low)  and a  main shaft that weighs 5.83 lbs that's a fair amount of "swinging beef" back and forth. Both the counter shaft  move laterally back and forth as they are "fighting " each other so to speak.

With a weak  cast trap door and snap rings that compress, the bearings and other things move around  when the shafts move back and forth laterally. Not a good situation. Especially when you have  more cubic inches (110) +  combined with  the pulses of the motor when idling, I can certainly understand why SOME  rattle. I'm not too sure all of them don't rattle to some degree. Just speculation on my part and I may totally off on my theory.

After another conversation with John Sachs What i decide to do this time  was add the Baker Street Door. Plus install the new MDG & MDG bearing I mentioned in another thread and new inner  primary bearing and race.  Gear set is currently out, other parts are ordered hopefully I will get to slip it back together next weekend and we will see. Mark & John both said it may not totally eliminate it , but it should reduce it.

i just had enough of the damned rattle. Have a fresh 117 and I'd like it half way quiet. Guess the good news if the lifters start rattling, I won't  be able to tell..lol  At least the Baker Door is chrome and it will look nice!

Damn I didn't want to know this much about the HD 6 speed..oh well...the story goes on..stay tuned 

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Neutral Rattle Revisited..Round 2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »

Greg, louder pipes  8) ?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »

Greg, louder pipes  8) ?

Yea thought about that too Don..May have to try some of Jerry's secret sauce with special noise dampening particles from a secret location deep in the  woods of Indiana..Already have a marketing angle on that!...If this works ..baker doors may become very popular..or the damned sauce...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:58:29 AM by Texas 103 »

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »

Anything Baker is top quality, and that looks like a robust unit.  Curious to know if this solves the problem.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

The Baker is US made but why are they using Japanese bearings?  Are they superior to any bearings made in the USA?  That would be an interesting question to ask.

I enjoy these type threads not necessarily for something I want to dive into but for the repairs/fixes/aftermarket company engineering that is required to make our HD's run/operate as we expect instead of how we purchase them....good luck with the rattle reduction, Tex.... :2vrolijk_21:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »

Anything Baker is top quality, and that looks like a robust unit.  Curious to know if this solves the problem.

Boy Howdy.!.. me too! thinking it should be at least quieter...

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »

Baker Door & Shift Drum Installed Along With  '17 "Scissor" Low Gear. Now if work will just slow down a little we'll see if this either fixes or reduces the rattle. Guess if it doesn't  it will look damn good  along with the new chrome inner primary. If it isn't quiet..it will look good!   

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »

Hey Tex!
Any word on your transmission project?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »

Hey Tex!
Any word on your transmission project?

Yes ! , Fired it up Saturday, pretty quiet on the lift. Took a 50 mile  ride yesterday , banged on it pretty good.  Looks like the door did most the deal. Still noisier thanI like hot in neutral at idle  I noticed a little  compensator rattle at idle ..grrr , should have checked the spring  stack height when I had it down, missed that. Guess that's the little stuff you miss when you are a weekend warrior vs doing this for a living. lol . Overall it was a lot of fun and one hell of a learning experience! 

No biggie,  warranty  will  take care of the comp and will put  some  miles on it,later this week probably this weekend,   and bang on it again. Just want to make damn sure the door took care of everything ,before I post the final result.   Overall I'm pretty pleased , with the door and the  new Baker shift  drum ,it shifts like dream in addition to being much quieter .     
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:55:37 AM by Texas 103 »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »

so you only changed out the trap door....or you have a list of parts
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »

I "fixed" neutral rattle on a 2012 RGU, a 2014 SGS and a 2012 CVO SG by just using a good synthetic transmission gear lube.  This post is not to stir the pot, just saying what worked for me.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

so you only changed out the trap door....or you have a list of parts

Really don't have a parts list. I just changed out the Baker  door it also comes with a shift drum.   Picked up the stock door next to the Baker, no comparison, it's like a friggin paper weight.   We also slipped the  "scissor'  gear in there  out of a '17 .  PN 35600103 $47.81  . Now it Drops right into gear, nice .  Very pleased with the outcome....Finally!

http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.aspx?PartNumber=35600103&SubCatID=&CatID=&Name=&CatName=GEAR%20ASSY,COUNTERSHAFT,1ST   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:49:09 PM by Texas 103 »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

I "fixed" neutral rattle on a 2012 RGU, a 2014 SGS and a 2012 CVO SG by just using a good synthetic transmission gear lube.  This post is not to stir the pot, just saying what worked for me.

I had also heard that before I did anything I   tried Spectro, Redline , Formula+  still rattled . Was very tempted to try Jerry's sure fire cure...hand full of sawdust.   

pewterbike1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »

Hey tex. how is the tranny update working. any special instructions for installing the sizzor gear. might try it for my 13 classic. thanks.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 06:52:37 AM »

Hey tex. how is the tranny update working. any special instructions for installing the sizzor gear. might try it for my 13 classic. thanks.

Trans update came out good, got most it. Still not happy with it. Scissor. Gear slips right on when changing door. Would buy a new needle bearing while I was at it. You will like that mod! Nice and quiet not perfect but a great improvement.

I have another gear set I got from a 2010, going to freshen it up, put the Baker door on and see what it sounds like. I have changed everything EXCEPT the gear set from the compensator in chasing this noise. It's almost Jan.,no racing to watch , just as well get some garage therapy..lol

If you pull it down I would damn sure install the new final drive gear single roller bearing .That's the other change in '17. The old double roller bearing has been a POS for a long time.

Tight primary chain, tight drive belt coupled up with a 14 lb clutch assembly flopping around on the end of the mainshaft makes it tough on that bearing. I posted up part numbers in another post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:04:13 AM by Texas 103 »

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.