Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change oil before or after dyno?  (Read 1393 times)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Change oil before or after dyno?
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:58:45 AM »

Suppose this is one of those things you think about when you've got nuthin better to do, but, I 'm approaching my 1K mi dyno tune (870) and will do my own service and am trying to decide whether to do it before or after. At the 125 mi mark, I did dump all the syn 3 and switch to Redline products, so even if I go in with 1100 or 1200 miles, I'm still close to the 1K if I go after. I guess logic would say to do it after it's been hot during tuning, just thought I'd ask......just cause I've got nothing better to do right now.   LOL
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: Change oil before or after dyno?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:09:53 AM »

Don't ask me when, where or even why but I have a feeling I read somewhere that there is more potential for wear with fresh oil than with older (but not too old) oil.

It didn't make sense to me when I read it (if I read it...) and it doesn't make sense now I'm writing it

Anybody else got any ideas on this one?

Cheers

Dave

If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »

Well, you should always change the oil when it's warm, so if it's not going to be ridden or warmed up prior to the dyno run, then I'd say do it afterward if that's what gives you an opportunity to run the bike.  IMHO, you've done the most important change already (at 125 miles), so from a dirt in the oil standpoint, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference if you do it before or after the run.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:48:32 PM »

Don't ask me when, where or even why but I have a feeling I read somewhere that there is more potential for wear with fresh oil than with older (but not too old) oil.

It didn't make sense to me when I read it (if I read it...) and it doesn't make sense now I'm writing it

Anybody else got any ideas on this one?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Yep, you read it here.  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1140673422  

I also wondered about that one, and the report really didn't go into any detail.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:36 PM »

Well, you should always change the oil when it's warm, so if it's not going to be ridden or warmed up prior to the dyno run, then I'd say do it afterward if that's what gives you an opportunity to run the bike.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.