Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Bushtec Owners, I have a question for you  (Read 8926 times)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Bushtec Owners, I have a question for you
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

Hey Guy's,
I am in the process of ordering(been back and forth with a little haggling) a basic black Bushtec Turbo 2. I have them quoting it with the bra, black wheels, black tongue & tongue stand, luggage rack, and LED conversion for the taillights. Is there anything else that I should get or can't live without from your experience’s. Not trying to get to wild or break the bank, just wanting to know what should also look at.  thanks Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Bushtec Owners, I have a question for you
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

If I were to buy new I would go with the cooler package and the garment bag as well. Not sure what their led conversion amounts to but I started to convert mine and the LED's were dimmer than the incandescent in the daytime so I left well enough alone.

Not trying to talk you out of new but there are some great deals out there used if you look  around.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »

I would push the garment bag....came in handy many times.  Got the cooler with the Genesis but never used it....ended up removing it as it just wasn't something I used.

Great trailer.  Jacksboro is just up the road from me if you need any assistance.

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »

If I were to buy new I would go with the cooler package and the garment bag as well. Not sure what their led conversion amounts to but I started to convert mine and the LED's were dimmer than the incandescent in the daytime so I left well enough alone.

Not trying to talk you out of new but there are some great deals out there used if you look  around.

I forgot to add the cooler in my original post, it is part of the deal. This deal all started from me calling them about a 92 they had listed hahaha "sold". like the last 3 I have called on. hahaha
I am the guy that is always a dollar lite and a day late on the good deals.  plus if its new I dont have to worry as much about it, (bearings, seals, etc) maybe.
Is the scale worth it or just grab a cheap fish one from Walmart till i get used to packing it? I figuared my old hd shock airpump will work for shock adjustment.

Thanks for the offer Haird.  :) 
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »

I forgot to add the cooler in my original post, it is part of the deal. This deal all started from me calling them about a 92 they had listed hahaha "sold". like the last 3 I have called on. hahaha
I am the guy that is always a dollar lite and a day late on the good deals.  plus if its new I dont have to worry as much about it, (bearings, seals, etc) maybe.
Is the scale worth it or just grab a cheap fish one from Walmart till i get used to packing it? I figuared my old hd shock airpump will work for shock adjustment.

Thanks for the offer Haird.  :)

Never used their scale.  If you load it where the load is at or to the front/tongue end at or before the "axle", you're good to go anyway.  I carried a full size tool box, oil changing supplies, small air compressor and other maintenance items enough for two bikes all loaded in the front BEFORE I ever started loading clothes.  Your HD shock air pump will work just fine since it's got a gauge.  Best pull behind motorcycle trailer bar-none.... ;D

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

When I got my first Bushtec back in '99 I got a fish scale and dutifully measured the tongue weight.  Long and short of it is that no matter how I tried I couldn't get it right - always a tad heavy, not much, just a little.  So after several attempts on various trips I junked the scale.  Now I just load the heavier items, our clothes, which I put in two nylon bags - one for her, one for me in the rear.  The rest of the misc items like Haird mentioned I load toward the front.  Never had any problems whatsoever.  I too recommend the garment bag - just don't overload it or the hanger strap may rip out (don't ask me how I know!).  Two full sets of leathers will definitely overload the garment bag!

I too upgraded to the LED lights several years ago and they aren't all that bright but I haven't been able to find an alternative and I have tried several times.  I figure the LEDs are somewhat of an improvement over the incandescents but not sure if they are worth the $$ for such a minor improvement.

Oh, yeah, some folks carry a spare wheel & tire.  I've never done that but for 'insurance' I do carry a spare inner tube and a set of wheel bearings.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:39:41 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »

You are fortunate the 92 was gone because the early years had a shorter tongue than they do now and the longer tongue tows better (what I have been told).  Like everyone has stated, you will use the garment bag.  Keep an eye out for a spare tire/wheel you can throw in the bottom-fits nice and doesn't take up much room and gives you a feeling of security.  Glad to see you are getting the cooler-we use ours.  I don't know if a luggage rack would be worth it-all blacked out and chrome rack?  I have the 2+2 with the deck spoiler and 3rd brake light and like that too. 

Sad that these cost as much as a trailer you haul your bikes in.  Ours has been worth it and they tow great.  Resale is good also.  I was fortunate to buy mine used from an ad on the Bushtec website forum about 9 years ago..  Good luck.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »

Mine came with the Bushtec scale but don't use it any more. 

Mine came with the Bushtec air pump and I wish I hadn't sold it as it seemed to pump a larger volume of air than the HD pump that I use now.    My Bushtec shocks take longer to fill than the HD shocks.

FWIW..

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »

Cooler, garment bag, spare wheel and tire, spare shock...  I have well over 20K on my Bushtec and love it!   :2vrolijk_21:

(If you ever develop a leak in the air suspension, odds are good it will be a leaking shock...)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

FYI, they sold that little satin black 92 for $1,900.00. :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »

Used Bushtecs are posted in the "3rd Party For Sale" section of this forum often but you have to monitor that section daily to jump on the good deals.

I now have my 3rd Bushtec.  I have the Roadstar because it came with the bike I just bought and already color matched but personally, I'd rather have the Turbo +2!  Like others have suggested, the cooler package and the garment bag (I used both far more than I thought I would).  You might also consider the spoiler with the LED tail/brake light.  Sitting up much higher is a bigger safety factor.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:04:03 PM »

JC is right the spoiler with light will help be seen. Anything you can do to be seen may save your life some day. I had one that had led lights under it and they sure lit it up.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »

JC is right the spoiler with light will help be seen. Anything you can do to be seen may save your life some day. I had one that had led lights under it and they sure lit it up.

I agree...  I also have the spoiler and light on mine...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 06:40:39 AM »

Spoiler lid with light, good ideal. How many of you use the luggage rack if you have it or is it mostly for looks. Its rated at 70lbs across all the rails. I was using it mostly to break up the look of the lid but the spoiler will do that also.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »

I have had multiple Bushtec with luggage racks, never used them. My current one has one only because I did not want to glass the holes in before painting it.

Get the spoiler, if you find you want the rack later add it then.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrarider123

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

Luggage rack on all three of my Bushtec trailers.  Never used them but they looked cool....  8)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »

Luggage rack on all three of my Bushtec trailers.  Never used them but they looked cool....  8)
;D thats kinda what I was thinking, but I think the spoiler will win. Like Chains said add it later if i need it.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »

Spoiler lid with light, good ideal. How many of you use the luggage rack if you have it or is it mostly for looks. Its rated at 70lbs across all the rails. I was using it mostly to break up the look of the lid but the spoiler will do that also.

I used it a lot on my first Bushtec (still sleeping on the ground in a tent).....the lounge chairs got strapped on top.  And....several road dogs duffle bags, too.  Back then everybody thought if you owned a trailer then they could bring what ever they wanted and you'd haul it.  :(
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »

I used it a lot on my first Bushtec (still sleeping on the ground in a tent).....the lounge chairs got strapped on top.  And....several road dogs duffle bags, too.  Back then everybody thought if you owned a trailer then they could bring what ever they wanted and you'd haul it.  :(
Hah! :P They still do.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »

I used it a lot on my first Bushtec (still sleeping on the ground in a tent).....the lounge chairs got strapped on top.  And....several road dogs duffle bags, too.  Back then everybody thought if you owned a trailer then they could bring what ever they wanted and you'd haul it:(

I believe if you look in the book "Robert's Rules of Motorcycle Ownership", the first paragraph of the chapter on trailer pullin' states that's a given, JC..... :huepfenlol2: ;D

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »

"Back then everybody thought if you owned a trailer then they could bring what ever they wanted and you'd haul it."
Kinda like being the first guy in your group of riding buddies that buys a bagger. I was that guy,"hey man got any room for my coat and stuff"hahaha.

I know this is off the subject, but I see we have a few IBA guys in this thread. Have you done a ride with the trailer. I was thinking it would be good for the coast to coast run I want to do.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »

I too upgraded to the LED lights several years ago and they aren't all that bright but I haven't been able to find an alternative and I have tried several times.  I figure the LEDs are somewhat of an improvement over the incandescents but not sure if they are worth the $$ for such a minor improvement.
[/quote]

Well I went ahead and installed my LED panels and did away with the incandescent lights.  I used run turn brake trailer led lights.  They will probably do better in the dark than the normal bulbs, not sure about daylight though.  I left one taillight lens off so you can see item I used.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »

Here the lights are lit up.  Inside lights are turn signal only as when I hooked the run up on them the flashing was too slow.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrarider123

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »

Travel light/travel quickly....on any of my runs, never considered taking the trailer.  However, it would not be an issue if I had.  Except for the excess weight and a bit less gas mileage, it would have pulled just fine.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »

First long trip I took the trailer on was to Chappy's memorial service.  Worked out well only problem was the carpeted panel on the inside by the lock on my Quantum jammed the lock.  Pulled it off and was good to go.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

Well I went ahead and installed my LED panels and did away with the incandescent lights.  I used run turn brake trailer led lights.  They will probably do better in the dark than the normal bulbs, not sure about daylight though.  I left one taillight lens off so you can see item I used.
I wonder is there anyway to install a "back off" modual on the 3rd brake light on the trailer. everything on my Ultra is LED and everything lights up on the back with the brakes. I install one on the tour pack center light so that it pulses when the brakes are on.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »

I believe if you look in the book "Robert's Rules of Motorcycle Ownership", the first paragraph of the chapter on trailer pullin' states that's a given, JC..... :huepfenlol2: ;D

Thanks for the laugh buddy....I needed that.  Experience comes with old age.  :2vrolijk_21:

But then you didn't see Reply # 18  :P

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »

"Back then everybody thought if you owned a trailer then they could bring what ever they wanted and you'd haul it."
Kinda like being the first guy in your group of riding buddies that buys a bagger. I was that guy,"hey man got any room for my coat and stuff"hahaha.

I know this is off the subject, but I see we have a few IBA guys in this thread. Have you done a ride with the trailer. I was thinking it would be good for the coast to coast run I want to do.

Quite a few iron butt riders on this forum.....I just don't know any that belong to an association.  I pulled that trailer that I bought with my most recent CVO from Chip's garage in Matthews, NC to the Pacific ocean (Coronado, Ca) in 2 1/2 days......does that count?   :P  And......I did that at 64 yrs. old.  I should get bonus points.  :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »

If I find a Bushtec cheep ,i;m going to put it in the bed of my truck drive up to the hills and push it over a cliff, So i don"t have to do it with Bike attached.... Money and Time Saved----
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »

Quite a few iron butt riders on this forum.....I just don't know any that belong to an association.  I pulled that trailer that I bought with my most recent CVO from Chip's garage in Matthews, NC to the Pacific ocean (Coronado, Ca) in 2 1/2 days......does that count?   :P  And......I did that at 64 yrs. old.  I should get bonus points.  :huepfenlol2:
JC that should be 64yrs Young  :bananarock:. and yes you get points.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »

I wasn't feeling so young  by the time I got home.   :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »

Rear spoiler with lights....loved it, sets it apart
Cooler of course
Clear plastic guards on front of fenders
Lid garment bag.  Great for keeping important stuff easily accessible

Bought a new 2014 CVO Limited, wondering how much it would cost to repaint/stripe the trailer.....it's so nice as it looks but then I won't be color coordinated..lol

Enjoy.  We've used it for 6 years now.....not sure if we're going to sell it or try using it with the new bike.....
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »

:huepfenjump3: just uncrated and assembled the "new tourpack". hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can pull it home from work tommorrow
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »

I bought my Roadstar used.  When I got it, the original buyer ordered it loaded.
So, here are my thoughts: 
*I like the luggage rack.  Not because I use it as a luggage rack, but because it protects the top of the trailer. 
*Cooler - Must Have! 
*Rear Bumper - Looks Good and Protects the rear of the trailer somewhat. 
*Clothing Bag - I have it, but we have only used it once or twice.  When we are out on a bike trip, I am more of the t-shirt & jeans type... not much need to protect a suit coat & slacks. 
*Spoiler - Like it... more lights on the back is good.
*Interior Light - Very Handy 
*Tongue Stand - Yep, I like it. 
*Spare Tire - Must Have!! (yes, have used the spare before)

:cool26:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:43:43 PM by LRebel »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »

:huepfenjump3: just uncrated and assembled the "new tourpack". hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can pull it home from work tommorrow

I like the all black look. Make sure when you clean it you remove the bra and clean behind it, it is amazing the crud that gets under it.   :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

He likes the all red look, too!  Like I like the all orange look.   :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »

He likes the all red look, too!  Like I like the all orange look.   :huepfenlol2:
JCZ, I think he just likes the trailer look. But his red is really nice too.
thanks guys. hopefully i will get some decent pics hooked to the bike tommorrow if it stops rainning anytime soon.

2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

ultrarider123

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »

I like that....congrats and sorry it didn't work out for a meet/greet this time.  Next time's the charm.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.