Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle trailer 101 - requesting some experienced advice  (Read 8878 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Motorcycle trailer 101 - requesting some experienced advice
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »

Looking to purchase a two-bike enclosed trailer for our scoots (Deuce and Wide Glide). Don't need any of that "trailers are for pus***s" stuff. I ride mine wherever I go and always prefer to do so. Just got back from Sturgis which included a 640 mile day on the Wide Glide. Loved every mile. However, when Kandy comes along, the dogs come as well and that means the bikes are going to have to trail behind.

Would prefer to purchase a used trailer but I need one by late September for a trip back to the Black Hills so I have started looking at new. Have looked at the Iron Horse and Toy Hauler pop-ups and several of the low-boy v-nose and flat nose steel and aluminum models. Thinking a 7' X 12' size seems about right for two street bikes.

Seem to get conflicting advice on single or double axle. I get it that you can haul more weight with a double axle but we are just going to be carrying the two bikes and some gear. The tow vehicle will be an all-wheel drive Chevy Astro van with a V6 so I would like to keep the weight of the trailer as low as possible. I would like to keep the trailer height low as well to keep the drag down and have a fairly nice looking rig when all is said and done.

Any of you CVO guys have any friends that have trailer experience (since I know we all only ride ours)?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Motorcycle trailer 101 - requesting some experienced advice
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »

Check these guys out Mark. Bubba had one in Eureka. I thought it was very cool. Bubba loves it! Take a peek at em! ;)

Toy Carrier Enclosed Trailers

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »

I've owned a Haulmark Low Hauler 7X12 before (w/dual axles & electric brakes) and have borrowed a trailer similar to the one Howie is referring to. I would definitely suggest Low Hauler, V-Nose, or one similar to the link Howie has, and add/get electric brakes on the trailer. Any of those will pull better, and the trailer having it's own brakes will help and provide less wear/tear on the tow vehicle.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

http://www.haulmark.com/low-hauler_motorcycle-trailer/modeleglhwt2/

I have had an edge 2 bike since 02, looks good, pulls easy, hides behind a fence, will bust yer noggin wideass open until you remember to duck goin in.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

Mark

Try ebay.
Lots of used ones there and new ones.
A 7 X 12 is perfect.
I have a dbl axle but a single will work fine for your needs.
There are a lot of off brands that are cheaper but the three name brands are Wells Cargo, Haulmark and Pace America.
If you don't plan to use Ebay just check it out and you will learn a lot.
Mark, try this link  
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=motorcycle+trailers&_armrs=1&_from=R9&_ipg
If you see one you like let us know, we all have an opinion!

SBB
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:32:12 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »

I've got a Haulmark 7 x 14 double axle v-nose trailer that I absolutely love...  I prefer double axle - a flat trailer tire in the middle of the night or the middle of nowhere is much less exciting on a double axle trailer than with a single axle trailer.  And get trailer brakes - you'll be glad...   I've had a similiar but larger Wells Cargo trailer in the past - a bit more money - but very nice also..  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Am thinking strongly about the Toy Carrier 2 bike trailer. Have requested a quote. Still interested in the plus/minus info on single vs double axle. Is the only benefit of a double axle the carrying capacity? It seems a single axle would be easier to move around (less rolling resistance). Any input? Went out and looked at the Haulmark Lowboy today. Nice trailer, especially fully tricked out. They have one for $6,300 in HD orange and black with a finished inside. Does that seem reasonable to you guys?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Am thinking strongly about the Toy Carrier 2 bike trailer. Have requested a quote. Still interested in the plus/minus info on single vs double axle. Is the only benefit of a double axle the carrying capacity? It seems a single axle would be easier to move around (less rolling resistance). Any input? Went out and looked at the Haulmark Lowboy today. Nice trailer, especially fully tricked out. They have one for $6,300 in HD orange and black with a finished inside. Does that seem reasonable to you guys?
I think Scott (sadunbar) just mentioned one... also there is more braking of the trailer w/duals vs the tow vehicle doing the braking.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »

Like this one?  If so, it's a good price...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

Got your PM Scott. No problem. Is yours a 7 x 12? The one I looked at is very similar. Only difference I can see is it didn't have the upper cabinets.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »

Another advantage of dual axles is that they track a lot better than a single. A definate plus on rough roads or when bucking a cross wind.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »

Thanks for the assistance guys. I really like the comment on dual axle's being easier to deal with in a tire blowout situation. That might make it worth the price of admission alone.

Anyone familiar with Continental Trailers. This one on ebay seems well appointed and reasonably priced:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120437225161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4196wt_1167

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »

Got your PM Scott. No problem. Is yours a 7 x 12? The one I looked at is very similar. Only difference I can see is it didn't have the upper cabinets.

Mine is 7 x 14....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:34:44 PM »

Another advantage of dual axles is that they track a lot better than a single. A definate plus on rough roads or when bucking a cross wind.

Absolutely agree. I've got a single axle I picked up for a good price and wish I'd have bought a double.

jpparker

• CVO's.... the ONLY way to go!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:02:40 AM »

I'm a used car/truck/Harley and new trailer dealer in MO.  I also have vast experience moving HD's all across the nation.  Here is what I have learned;

1) Double axle is THE way to go if you're hauling further than just around locally.  Not only will the trailer pull better (not as much sway) but tandems typically are set up better.  They will usually have a 2 5/16" ball instead of just a 2".  Tandems generally have brakes (on both axles) and an emergency brake option so if the trailer comes unhitched the brakes automatically deploy and keep the trailer from passing you (not a good thing).  Single axles are a bitch if you have a flat and most single axles don't have brakes.  Many times single wheel trailers can even flip when they're pulled by a smaller vehicle and a trailer tire blows out.  Again, the key here is if you're just gonna pull around town or if you're gonna use it like I believe you will.  Also, you'll not find many 7' wide trailers with only single axles.

2) Low-Profile is THE way to go if you're using the trailer pretty much exclusively for bikes.  As has already been stated they do help with fuel mileage - even when compared to a higher-profile with a V nose.  Low profiles with the V nose are especially nice as the V also makes a great place to hang some cabinets, clothes rods, etc.  However, if you plan on using your trailer for bikes AND for cargo (ie, band use, moving, etc) I would suggest that you go to a taller trailer with the V-nose.  If you are using a low pro for cargo about the first 3 or 4 times you crack your head on the door opening you'll be wondering why you bought one so damn short.  However, if mostly you are driving bikes in and out, you will be very happy with a low profile model.

3) Buy yourself two nice drive in, auto lock wheel chocks.  I sell the Condor brand (http://www.condor-lift.com/) as I ran across them several years ago at Daytona Bike Week and I wouldn't be without one now.  The main advantages are that one person can drive it in the chock, get off the bike (without putting the kickstand down) and tie it down.  Also, instead of putting so much pressure on the forks and fork seals you can tie the bike to the rear pegs/footboards and just pull it forward to keep the bike from pulling out of the chock.  The Condors also are removable for when you want to haul something other than bikes and they are adjustable to fit several different front tire sizes.

4) Side Door:  A MUST!  When desiring to check your load, it's a lot easier to go thru the side door instead of letting the whole back gate/ramp down.  36" or wider is more than adequate for a side door.

5) Interior lighting: Go ahead and spend the extra bucks to have additional lighting placed inside the trailer and have a switch placed inside the side door.  When traveling at night you will find this much easier than having to go inside the trailer and find the small overhead lights that have their own switch(es).  4' florescents work great but can be a bit more problematic with a low pro trailer if they're are not placed correctly.

6) Floor covering and interior siding:  Makes for a much better looking trailer but be aware that floor covering can pull up easily and be cut by kickstands etc.  I would NOT recommend putting normal floor coverings on the ramp as with just a little bit of moisture it will get slicker than deer guts on a door knob!  Most part stores carry a 3M non-slip (sandpaper like) gritty self-adhesive tape.  This combats the previous problem.  Also, I know some that have used the spray in bedliners for their ramp and it works well also.  If you don't want to get siding then painting your walls white will really improve the looks of the interior.

7) Get some E-track.  It can be bought from your trailer dealer or if you're a DIY'er you can get it at Lowe's, etc.  This allows for more functionality in tying down.  While you're at it, check and make sure you're D-rings are thru the frame of the trailer and not just thru the 3/4" plywood.  Have had D rings pull out before and I will guarantee you that will have you cussing and testing your religion!

8) Roof vents:  Are a nice option but will leak if left open!  LOL!

9) Although open trailers are preferred by many (mainly because of expense), any time I've had a bike on an open trailer and been traveling, staying overnights in motels are painful.  Every little noise in the night will have you up peeking thru the curtains to see if someone is jacking with your bike.  I HATE THAT!

10)  Beaver tail:  Get one if you plan on hauling a chopper or really low sitting bike.  Hearing your frame and/or kickstand getting worn down and jacked up each time you pull in and out of the trailer gets a little annoying!

BUYER BEWARE:
 Not all enclosed trailers are alike nor do they even spec universally.  Some mfg's count the V-nose in the overall length...... most more reputable companies don't count the V-nose (usually around 2').  Some mfg's place used tires on new trailers..... check 'em out.  Some mfgs only put brakes on one axle..... get 'em on both.  And check the axle mfg.... Dexter is kind of the industry standard and whether buying a single or tandem axle each axle needs to be a minimum of 3500lbs.  Anything less on an enclosed trailer and I would feel like the mfg is trying to shortcut and would cause red flags.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:16:00 AM by jpparker »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.